WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

The economics and logistics of Forbidden Lands

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 19:10

Because I am silly that way, I did some rough estimates of the population sizes and potential for liege lords - including Key Players in the Raven's Purge campaign - to extract taxes from those populations. This is mostly inspired by the Stronghold rules. Like, if the players can build functions and recruit troops to their Stronghold, surely, so can Kartorda or Zertorme...but how much? Well, one can't know that without knowing how much taxes they might be able to gather, and that, in turn, is determined by how big the population is.

And my impression is that the population is really small - even if one assumes that the villages marked on the map are the places with really big populations. Armies in this setting will number in the hundreds, not thousands.

I like that!

Addramyr

Re: The economics and logistics of Forbidden Lands

Thu 14 May 2020, 18:03

You might want to take a look at my stupidly long and bloated post about forbidden land peasants salaires. Might help you determine how much tax a peasant can pay.

Historically taxes were about 10% but depended on the period (100 year war would boost taxes for example).
Church added taxes on top of that.
It is known that peasants often had difficulty paying those taxes.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=5850#p44839

WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

Re: The economics and logistics of Forbidden Lands

Tue 19 May 2020, 22:23

Thanks!