Sennah001
Topic Author

The fight against Zytera - A new fight breakdown!

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 00:41

Hi everyone! 

My campaign is soon coming to it's inevitable end with a huge fight in Vond and against the creature Zytera! To prepare myself for the fight I have constructed a completely new fight breakdown! The document contains everything you would need from the Raven's Purge campaign book, but it is NOT complete and I'm looking for feedback from the community to make the fight and ending amazing! The new fight breakdown is based upon the creature's three-part composition and that each of the three parts gets its own initiative card/turn in combat! In the document you will find separate stats and action lists for Zygofer, Therania and the demon spider! 

Link - The fight against Zytera - A new fight breakdown!

Please, if you have any feedback or cool ideas that I can add to the fight don't hesitate to comment below! I am also working on a battle map representing the fighting room that will be added later in this document/thread.

UPDATE - 2020-04-08 

Hi everyone! 

My players are finaly challenging Zytera and Vond this next friday and I'm in full gear preparing and finishing everything up! To that end i have added in the dokument two full pages with the Protonexus including its own turn in the initiativ turn with a full description and a set of actions! I have also added a page dedicated to the friends, family and enemies that can enter the battle with or against the players in the fight against Zytera! Finaly i have also finished up the battle map i will use in the fight. The map spans over the entire "The Pileum of the Tower" (point nr 9 in the Mogarium) and the "Protonexus" (point nr 10 in the Mogarium) on a A0 size PDF file that you can find via the link above and below, there you will also find the map with or without a 1inch grid and a broken down version in A3 size. The map is not perfect and if you have any suggestion or would like to help me refine it, please send me a message or reply to this post!

Link - The fight against Zytera - A new fight breakdown!

Once again i would love to hear your feedback on the entire document or any cool ideas! Right now I'm not completely happy about the way the protonexus spews out its actions on the map... so if you have a better way of designing it don't hesitate to tell me! And as of this moment the document is full of misspellings - but im on it  :D

Thanks // Hannes
Last edited by Sennah001 on Wed 08 Apr 2020, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Valyar

Re: The fight against Zytera - A new fight breakdown!

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 18:49

This is great summary. I have read the campaign once, while I was data-loading it into Realm Works, and haven't paid attention to all those possible endings. Makes me things on the amout of prep and note taking that will be required if I run it someday... :O

Simpa

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 13:12

Very good! Will definitly use this when time is ripe (in 20 sessions or so :D)

Sennah001
Topic Author

Tue 11 Feb 2020, 00:54

Very good! Will definitly use this when time is ripe (in 20 sessions or so :D)
Thanks! My players are in the midst of gathering all the big key players in the land at the moment for a war council against Zyrera and the church, so I'm hoping to have the entire document done very soon! Do you have any cool ideas for the final fight? Like anything to do with the items/terrain that might be found in the room? Anything with the protonexus? I'm grateful for any tips and/or ideas! :D 

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 22 Feb 2020, 12:34

How about givning the protonexus an initiative of its own and a table of cool actions? Something like a monster attack but more of random actions that alter the battle map, helps in one round and hinder the next. Things like ”something from the other side tries to enter. A gushing of slimey, vet, goo fly through the air, covering 1 zone in puddles of acid. (MOVE roll to evade while moving in that combat zone)” Or ”demonic energy surges through the room, reversing the effect of any spells for 1D4 rounds. (Positive effects hurt and attack spells heal)”

Sennah001
Topic Author

Mon 02 Mar 2020, 10:30

How about givning the protonexus an initiative of its own and a table of cool actions? Something like a monster attack but more of random actions that alter the battle map, helps in one round and hinder the next. Things like ”something from the other side tries to enter. A gushing of slimey, vet, goo fly through the air, covering 1 zone in puddles of acid. (MOVE roll to evade while moving in that combat zone)” Or ”demonic energy surges through the room, reversing the effect of any spells for 1D4 rounds. (Positive effects hurt and attack spells heal)”
Amazing idea, I will definitely work that in! 

Sennah001
Topic Author

Thu 09 Apr 2020, 13:00

I have added that very thing now and would love to hear what you think! :D

Mr Oldtimer

Fri 10 Apr 2020, 01:14

Nice! I've only done a quick read through but this seems like what I was aiming for. I especially like the spew Mog result for the Nexus.  :twisted:

One thing though. I've recently had a few fights that I hoped would be quite epic. Problem is, with 3 players and a total of 12 points of strength, no fight last for more than a couple of rounds. Either the players win at once or the opposition is too much and the occasional blow lands and then the players goes down too quickly. Don't know just how to handle that but that's why I mentioned to let the acid alter the combat terrain, require a MOVE roll, rather than just to hurt someone. I like when player have to adjust to new circumstances and with 3 players, I rarely need the extra damage. Leave it as is if you want to, but I think my party would need more "funny" effects and less risk of damage. 

I'm constantly trying to figure out how to employ minions so my players just don't rush the big baddie and kill him immediately but at the same time without getting them killed just because I want something more to stand in their way. Any idea how to do that? Anyone?

Sennah001
Topic Author

Fri 10 Apr 2020, 21:04

Nice! I've only done a quick read through but this seems like what I was aiming for. I especially like the spew Mog result for the Nexus.  :twisted:

One thing though. I've recently had a few fights that I hoped would be quite epic. Problem is, with 3 players and a total of 12 points of strength, no fight last for more than a couple of rounds. Either the players win at once or the opposition is too much and the occasional blow lands and then the players goes down too quickly. Don't know just how to handle that but that's why I mentioned to let the acid alter the combat terrain, require a MOVE roll, rather than just to hurt someone. I like when player have to adjust to new circumstances and with 3 players, I rarely need the extra damage. Leave it as is if you want to, but I think my party would need more "funny" effects and less risk of damage. 

I'm constantly trying to figure out how to employ minions so my players just don't rush the big baddie and kill him immediately but at the same time without getting them killed just because I want something more to stand in their way. Any idea how to do that? Anyone?

I can see your point about the funny effects, less risk of damage and something that alters the terrain during combat! I think i will just narrate the alteration on the terrain from the acid or mog :) I myself have a party of 4players so thats what im trying to balance around that, and after 63 game sessions they are quite strong. 

When it comes to minions i usualy dont use alot of them because it becomes too much to controll for me as a GM (especially if i need to keep track of all their different armor ratings and STY). Instead of using minions to balance the fight and the amount of damage your players can do to the big baddie - have you tried making them roll a skill check before they can actually hit anything? A scenario just from the top of my head - The big baddie is sorounded by darkness/mist and to actually be able to hit him/her they need to first succeed on a scouting skill roll? Or something like Endurance to not faint from (i don't know) the smell of the baddie  :lol:

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 11 Apr 2020, 00:10

I can see your point about the funny effects, less risk of damage and something that alters the terrain during combat! I think i will just narrate the alteration on the terrain from the acid or mog :) I myself have a party of 4players so thats what im trying to balance around that, and after 63 game sessions they are quite strong. 

When it comes to minions i usualy dont use alot of them because it becomes too much to controll for me as a GM (especially if i need to keep track of all their different armor ratings and STY). Instead of using minions to balance the fight and the amount of damage your players can do to the big baddie - have you tried making them roll a skill check before they can actually hit anything? A scenario just from the top of my head - The big baddie is sorounded by darkness/mist and to actually be able to hit him/her they need to first succeed on a scouting skill roll? Or something like Endurance to not faint from (i don't know) the smell of the baddie  :lol:
I was going for something like that with my new magic talents Shaman and Necromancer here, but one arrow to the head of the shaman and the players didn't need to worry about the effects any more... Darkness, on the other hand, might work. I'll try that as soon as possible. As for minions, I've used low lovel undead to some success. I've been quite careful to describe them as weaker, slower and dumber than the ordinary walking dead, just to not to fool the players when they meet "the real deal". I don't bother with armor, they're capable of hitting as hard as ordinary people with their equipped weapons but they're at strength 1, so one hit and they're out. Problem is, a few lucky hits from them and a few botched armor rolls from my players and the minions tear up my 3 PCs quite fast...