lupex

Do monsters need to use a RETREAT action to disengage?

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 00:35

I was wondering if monsters need to take a RETREAT action to disengage from a fight with adventurers? What if they change attack mode, from bite to flying attack etc?

Fenhorn

Re: Do monsters need to use a RETREAT action to disengage?

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 00:52

I let the monsters roll in order to avoid the free attack when retreating moster of the times. If movement is part of a monster attack, then the monster attack will done without any retreating roll, but if the movement is just a movement away from a character, then they roll for retreat as anyone else. But it hasn't come up that much yet when we played.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

pellejones

Thu 23 Jan 2020, 21:50

It depends on moster for me. Human size, roll to avoid the free attacks. If part of an attack action, no roll. If it is big (dragon, troll etc), I don't roll. It just steps out of combat.

Alucard89

Sun 26 Jan 2020, 01:16

I roll normally Move for monsters if they want to retreat- since players have to do it- enemies have to do it too. It's fair that both parties follow the rules.

But I also tend to give monster penalties/bonuses to Move depending on their size. For example nimble monster will get +1 to Move roll for retreat but Adult Dragon will get -2 becase you know- it's not so easy for such huge monster to suddenly move away and its easier to hit big target than small target. But that is just my house rule, not RAW.
GZIP: Off