Moinen
Topic Author

Rust Brothers take on Wyrm

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 19:10

What they think about Raven is pretty clear - heresy. Sadly I didn't find any example of interaction between Rust/Heme and Wyrm which is odd because the later seems to be a dominant religion with its own Congregation both in Ravenland and Alderland.
So what is your take on this subject? How does worshipping of the Wyrm look like? It's places of power and prayer? Why it's not in hiding just as Raven?

Mr Oldtimer

Re: Rust Brothers take on Wyrm

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 20:16

I'm sorry to say I haven't got much about their practices or seats of power, other than what's in the book. In my campaign, they're pretty common and most villages have some kind of shrine or other place devoted to the everyday ceremony to please the god. The priests are quite altruistic, compared to the worshipers of Rust or Heme, and go about their daily lives trying to ease the harshness of everyday labor to their followers. They still lead quite wealthy lives compared to the common man, on account of the tithe and other donations, especially in times of need. I picture them occupied with performing endless small rituals, all of which is supposed to keep their God happy. Because they believe the God to be ever on the prowl for wrong doers, always searching for someone, a prey, to strike at without warning. Like a snake on the hunt. By performing these endless, small rituals they feel they can prove they are good and firm believers and thereby make the God ignore them, continuing his search for sinners and unbelievers elsewhere. Sometimes it seems to work, other... not so much. 

The are viewed upon by the followers of Rust as described in the Gamemaster's guide (p.40)   

Brior

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 21:34

We deliberately held back on the Wyrm religion in Ravenland, planning to expand it in the Alderland module eventually. I am however planning to have a questing party of Wyrm monks in the Aslene expansion. These will in all probability be disciples of the Ad Vipra sect that I mentioned on the FB page.

Ebrim

Sun 26 Jan 2020, 19:36

We deliberately held back on the Wyrm religion in Ravenland, planning to expand it in the Alderland module eventually. I am however planning to have a questing party of Wyrm monks in the Aslene expansion. These will in all probability be disciples of the Ad Vipra sect that I mentioned on the FB page.
Very cool. That’s exciting.

I did get the impression that Wyrm worship has largely been co-opted in Ravenland.

Brior

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 11:53

I did get the impression that Wyrm worship has largely been co-opted in Ravenland.
It has, but not very extensively.

mashayafai

Thu 17 Jun 2021, 21:25

GM book 22 describes the rust brother view of Rust as "the true manifestation of the creator god Wyrm." I'd say they don't fully agree with or even like the Wyrm cult, but that Raven cult - they are heretics of the 1st degree. I like this explanation because it describes everything in short. But Rust is a world full of interesting concepts, religions, and facts, so this makes it one of the most interesting games to play. Players even for money because they wanna improve their characters and have an advantage over other players.

Moderator Action: Removed a bad link that has been edited in and banned this user for spamming bad crappy links.
Last edited by mashayafai on Wed 23 Jun 2021, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Konungr

Fri 18 Jun 2021, 03:23

Right. Rust IS Wyrm. Wyrm Cults are tolerated because at least they are worshiping the right god. It's anyone who worships anything else that is a real problem.

Brior

Fri 18 Jun 2021, 12:47

As mentioned earlier, civil war is brewing in Alderland with the traditional Wyrm church supporting one king, while the Rust church supports another. This will obviously not increase love between the churches. Both churches are sending envoys to Aslene in the upcoming expansion to further their interests.

Note that the Rust church of Alderland is not the same as the Rust church of Ravenland, although they probably will have common grounds. Zygofer / Zythera has no reason to love the Wyrm church of Alderland since they tried to stop him earlier on. He has probably passed on his dislike of Wyrm to the Ravenland rust worshippers, although the raven is worse.