pytheas
Topic Author

Observatory in Amber's Peak

Mon 13 Jan 2020, 08:45

The description of Amber's Peak has an area (labelled E) that is a now defunct observatory. The corresponding label on the map seems to refer to the top of the rectangular tower instead. This appears to be a mistake as both towers are covered under entry D.

Am I right to think that the observatory is missing from the map? If so, how would you connect it to the rest of the castle?

Mr Oldtimer

Re: Observatory in Amber's Peak

Wed 15 Jan 2020, 22:01

Well, it took me some time to get around to read this but I agree, the observatory seems to be missing. Also, the descriptions seems to have som problem regarding compass directions. In "A", it states the wall in the south part of the room has fallen down but the south west part of the room is still accessible. Looking at "D", the top of the round tower has an opening to the east. This gives me a hard time understanding where north is supposed to be. It might work if south is "up" in the pictures, but then, if the observatory has a stair leading down to the plains in the east, does that imply the stairs lead under the whole village or is it supposed to lead away from the castle and village, behind the mountain in the overview picture of the site? Meaning west? 
I believe I have to give this a more thorough read before running the site. Perhaps altering the descriptions a bit and even describe the observatory as hidden behind the castle on the overview picture.

pytheas
Topic Author

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 02:13

You are right that the compass directions seem to be a bit confused. I think this could be resolved if the opening in the round tower's crenellations is in the West rather than East. That would then match the description in A. It would also be consistent with the description of the Raukwaye Bridge (location 7), which implies that the castle is East of the river. However, the balcony in C would then be overlooking the countryside to the East, not West.

Regarding the Observatory, it was (and still is) my interpretation that the stairs lead down to plains On the opposite side from the village. That seems to make the most sense in terms of secretly releasing the monsters.

Brior

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 11:10

I checked Amber´s Peak with my early sketches. As you assume, the observatory doesn't have a map, and the ”E” shouldn't be on the map at all. The picture on page 85 should only have a ”D” in it (The observatory had it's own number in my draft). The observatory is reached on a stone bridge from where the pyrotaur stables are (10). No separate connection to the castle. See the overview. The stairs from the observatory lead down to the plains. In my draft however, there were no plains, but a lake or the sea behind the castle and the stairs led down to a harbour. From here monsters were shipped to be released further down the shore, not to be connected with the castle.

Concerning the compass directions: up on the page corresponds to north-north-west, that is: north is tilted somewhat 30° counter clockwise. Why is this? Well, it wasn't easy to try to fit the map to the picture on the box ;-).

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 16:03

Thank you for the clarification, Brior. Nice of you to drop by now and then. Always appreciated.

pytheas
Topic Author

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 22:33

Thanks for chiming in, Brior. It is great to get confirmation of how you intended this to work.

BytomMan

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 19:42

Regarding Zertorme’s demon ally: has anybody toned down some of the more adult aspects of that character (her “fluids”)? We’re gaming with my teenage son and somebody else that might be a little much for them.

jasales

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 22:05

Know your group. Do what you think is best. I tend to run things for my group at a pg-13 most games and that is works well with them.

shane18

Mon 07 Feb 2022, 06:21

Regarding Zertorme’s demon ally: has anybody toned down some of the more adult aspects of that character (her “fluids”)? We’re gaming with my teenage son and somebody else that might be a little much for them.
I hear you. Demon blood, Demon tears, Demon sweat, or maybe she's constantly dripping hot lava/ liquid from her flesh? Her love for Zertorme intensifies it maybe?

I've had a few fun conversations with my group regarding some of the "left up to the GM or players" topics this game has to offer, which I love by the way. We haven't discussed this one yet, but I could easily see it in our discussions. We'll probably just PG-13 it and roll along like we usually do. :-)