PencilBoy99

Managing Combat with "Broken" Combatants

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:00

I'm on session 11 of my Forbidden Lands campaign and, predictably, my players have loaded up on talents. One of the players now has an Orc w/ unlimited parries, the ability to parry for others, an artifact weapon, good armor, and the ability to fight indefinitely (spend a WP to get back up). If gets the lucky talent, he won't even have death from critical as a threat.

It's made combats kind of wonky and unsatisfying, since this character always has the spotlight - no one else's actions matter at all. Also, if the encounter is even slightly challenging for him it's deadly for everyone else, though less so now that every player gets 2 free parries (their own and his free parry).

Has anyone run into this? It seems hard to make combats interesting and challenging this one PC is now the star.

Fenhorn

Re: Managing Combat with "Broken" Combatants

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:41

Most monster attacks can't be parried, only dodged. A lot of monsters also have fear attacks and even attacks that damage Empathy. All of this hurt big strong warriors.

The Unbreakable talent cost WP to use (1 WP per attribute points) and since the only way to earn WP is to push and with that also damage yourself (and that doesn't happen every time you push). You are not allowed to make a skill roll unless the GM say so and when you make a skill roll, you are only allowed to push additional 6:s actually have any effect. This probably mean that most WP for this character will come from combat. Those WP will also hurt him, decreasing his combat skill rolls.

I have noticed that Unbreakable is annoying, yes, but it is also very easy to drain the character's WP. It cost a lot of WP to use Unbreakable after all (there is little point of getting back up with only 1 strength). Also, the orc probably also want to spend his WP on his other talents.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

PencilBoy99

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:56

Is there a wp per turn limit

Fenhorn

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 00:05

Is there a wp per turn limit
A character earns 1 WP per damaged attribute point in a pushed skill roll. There are a couple of of ways to earn a point or two per session if using the stronghold rules.

Up to a maximum of 10.

PencilBoy99

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 00:08

Unlimited spending per turn?

PencilBoy99

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 00:10

Can monsters parry, or just dodge? What about animals? Can your attacks be parried?

Fenhorn

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 00:35

Unlimited spending per turn?
You can spend as many as the talent allows you to spend.

Can monsters parry, or just dodge? What about animals? Can your attacks be parried?
First, Undeads and Insectoids fight as humanoids. Monsters and animals can use skills if they have them. A monster that has a normal weapon can parry (if the GM think that is appropriate) and they can dodge (if the GM think that is appropriate for the monster). There is a lot of GM discretion about this. How intelligent is the monster and so on.

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 01:35

Also, remember the orc will probably fall down and drop his weapon when he becomes broken. Next round he need to spend one action to get up and another one to get his weapon/draw new weapon. Being such a strong fighter most enemies might consider him their first choice for their next attack, thereby breaking him again. If this happens he will rapidly run out of WP and can't use his ability again. 

PencilBoy99

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 01:40

is the drop weapon a house rule?

Fenhorn

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 02:40

is the drop weapon a house rule?
When you become broken in Strength "you're knocked senseless". Anyone that is broken in Strength can only crawl and mumble. This means that when you become broken in Strength you become prone, most likely dropping your weapon in the process (you're knocked senseless after all). The Unbreakable talent allows him to get one or more if his lost Strength points back if this happens, making him not broken in Strength anymore, but it doesn't take away that he was broken with all the side effects of being broken.
GZIP: Off