Spat
Topic Author

Raven's Purge : Bind Soul

Sat 04 Jan 2020, 13:48

Hello there,
I read this excellent campaign, and I had a question about the BIND SOUL spell which a NPC uses in a part of the campaign :
with the description from the PH, I don't understand clearly how the NPC can switch body.
Does it require 2 uses of the spell (1 for the victim, 1 for the spellcaster to abandon his own body and possess the victim's one) ?
If yes, doesn't that spell give a sorcerer immortality vs aging ? That seems overpowered.
Thanks for your help.

Fenhorn

Re: Raven's Purge : Bind Soul

Sat 04 Jan 2020, 14:31

Two castings seems necessary, yes. One to remove the soul from the target body and one to remove your soul to the target body. Technically anyone who do this, will cheat aging of the body (assuming the target body is young and fresh), but the spells are not without risk and he can still be killed with a sword.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tywyll

Wed 06 May 2020, 13:58

Which NPC does this? Also, nothing in Bind Soul implies that you could move your soul into an empty body. It does say it's open to possession by a Restless Spirit, but I'm pretty sure that's specifically undead, isn't it?

However, if it wasn't, you still leave yourself open to instant destruction by a Dispel Magic spell of PL3+, so it's immortality at a risk.

Fenhorn

Wed 06 May 2020, 14:49

Which NPC does this? Also, nothing in Bind Soul implies that you could move your soul into an empty body. It does say it's open to possession by a Restless Spirit, but I'm pretty sure that's specifically undead, isn't it?

However, if it wasn't, you still leave yourself open to instant destruction by a Dispel Magic spell of PL3+, so it's immortality at a risk.
It is a blood mage in the Pelagia adventure site. A body is a valid vessel if it doesn't contain a soul. This is how Ravil (the blood mage in question) does it. He removes the soul from a victim and by that creates a valid vessel. He then casts the spell again moving his own soul to this vessel. His own body will be unconscious during this time. Since there is an NPC in the official campaign who do this (to achieve his goal), this is one way to use the spell. Ravil risks a whole lot by doing this, yes, but he clearly thinks that it is worth it since he will stop at nothing to achieve his goal.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tywyll

Wed 06 May 2020, 16:12

Whelp, all right. Wish the spell description was more clear to that effect. It's unclear what binding spirits into a body lets them do.

But yeah, it's risky but still powerful.