pellejones

Re: Do you roll in the open?

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 19:28

I roll in the open

hperantunes

Sat 15 Feb 2020, 18:50

I do. 

But NPC and monster stats are a closely guarded secret. :)

pytheas

Sun 16 Feb 2020, 02:22

I generally roll in the open. That way the players don't feel cheated if I have a series of good rolls (instead my dice have acquired a fearsome reputation).
But NPC and monster stats are a closely guarded secret. :)
How do you accomplish that? Doesn't rolling in the open give the stats away, for NPCs at least?

hperantunes

Sun 16 Feb 2020, 05:57

How do you accomplish that? Doesn't rolling in the open give the stats away, for NPCs at least?

Oh, for NPCs it's more in the sense of not letting the players know what are their stats before starting a combat with them, but for monsters I manage to be mostly opaque.

stewpidbear

Mon 17 Feb 2020, 10:57

I’ve always rolled in the open, but not necessarily interpreted the rolls as is. I tend to let my players live and tell a story rather than kill them (unless they do something incredibly stupid). I use rolls as a tension creator in the open to see their reactions as the high or low numbers come up.

Alucard89

Sun 01 Mar 2020, 16:28

Depends. When I roll for obvious stuff (like monsters attacks, damage, etc. so everything that DIRECTLY affect players) I roll in the open. But for some rolls I roll away from players so I have a room for manouver. For example during one session one of my players got critical hit, I rolled 66 so insta-kill, but I said to them that it's some 50-55 effect (can't remember now). It was because I tailored whole session for that player character and I didn't want my whole week of work go to waste because of one bad roll. So it depends, but I try to roll in the open and when I roll hidden - it's because I want to have more manouver and not always work against my players. I also roll for loot behind screen (or I pretend to roll for it, but I already had reward prepared and I just want them to be happy of how lucky they were :) ). So it all depends :).

Bercilak

Tue 10 Mar 2020, 17:59

In the open for Forbidden Lands. And for things like Stealth, I let the players roll, but I only let them make the actual roll when it matters, not when they declare they are sneaking. In other words, the player says they are going to sneak, and I assume they are sneaking. Then, when they try to sneak past the guard, I explain that they are trying to move from shadow to shadow, and then have them make the stealth roll. That way there is tension about whether they succeed or fail, and the impact of the roll affects that moment. So, it's less of "here's my roll to cover my next 10 minutes of sneaking" and more "here's the one moment in that 10 minutes of sneaking where it's important to know if you stay unseen." 
GZIP: Off