sefnerr

Do you roll in the open?

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 17:21

Curious, as a FL GM, do you roll in the open for all to see or keep your rolls hidden and simply communicate/interpret the results to the players?  What about your players?  e.g. is there ever a time when a player might be asked to roll but not shown the exact result?
Your thoughts and explanations are appreciated.  Thanks

Konungr

Re: Do you roll in the open?

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 06:41

I only roll behind a screen and I always roll for the players for rolls that they should not know how well they have done or not. Like if it's DnD I roll search/notice checks. If they roll a 1 I don't want them to know they did critically bad. I just want them to know that they didn't find anything.

Once they know they didn't find anything because they rolled a 1 they assume that they failed because of the roll and keep looking for ways to keep searching. When they don't know what they rolled they accept the result and move on.

muk83

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 11:08

I always roll in the open. If I really need some outcome I simply state it, and don't roll for it.

Fenhorn

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 11:26

All the rolls are in the open.

Besides combat, you are not supposed to roll too often, only once per situation. The outcome of such rolls tends to be quite obvious.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 14:03

So, me and my old group of players are living in different parts of the country, therefor we play mainly online. Since I didn’t have all of the NPCs and monsters uploaded and also because, well, I like the sound and feel of rolling dice, I did roll most times ”behind screen”. Even now, when most rolls are possible in the virtual table top, I still roll mostly behind the screen. I find it better If my players don’t know exactly the number of dice a sertain monster or NPC have as an attack or dodge roll. Also, the gasp of unease and unsertainty from the players when they hear all of those dices rolling, suddenly understanding the fight is going to be much harder than they had thought, even though they don’t know the exact strenght of their opponent, is quite pleasing.

sefnerr

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 23:41

I appreciate the responses to this.  In my experience(mostly older D&D/Ad&d, 5e, Pathfinder, and misc...), I've GM/played in games where the GM rolls most things behind the screen but opts to make "game-changing" rolls in the open to add a level of gravitas.  Obviously, there is no right or wrong method and I do not recall how rolls should be handled specifically called out in the FL rules.  (I could definitely be mistaken...)

I'm still working up a time to GM a game with my home group and I'll probably leave it up to them how they would like to handle GM and/or player rolls which might not have an immediate/obvious resolution.

The main reason behind my inquiry was whether or not I should add a whisper option to roll20's Forbidden Lands character sheet?  I think at this point I'll add such an option to appease both ideologies.  Cheers

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 02 Jan 2020, 01:38

I appreciate the responses to this.  In my experience(mostly older D&D/Ad&d, 5e, Pathfinder, and misc...), I've GM/played in games where the GM rolls most things behind the screen but opts to make "game-changing" rolls in the open to add a level of gravitas.  Obviously, there is no right or wrong method and I do not recall how rolls should be handled specifically called out in the FL rules.  (I could definitely be mistaken...)

I'm still working up a time to GM a game with my home group and I'll probably leave it up to them how they would like to handle GM and/or player rolls which might not have an immediate/obvious resolution.

The main reason behind my inquiry was whether or not I should add a whisper option to roll20's Forbidden Lands character sheet?  I think at this point I'll add such an option to appease both ideologies.  Cheers
Ah, I understand. Good thinking. As of now, I've made macros of most actions my NPCs or monsters can do, and they all start with the "/w GM". 

Valyar

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 18:44

Rolls in the open. Excitement for players and game master! :D

Ebrim

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 21:02

I’ve done it both ways. I think I prefer rolling mostly behind a screen. Very rarely will I make a check for a player.

DeanP

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 03:55

I roll in the open.
GZIP: Off