PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Hard Mode Question

Mon 23 Dec 2019, 18:12

Another board member (thanks) helped me write up these rules for making the game grittier. Feel free to review and comment. They're essentially the rules from Mutant Year Zero / Mutant Elysium with Pride being the resource that heals empathy. However, one side effect of these rules is that it seems like Pride is much more powerful, since it's a resource die that can be used repeatedly per session until it's used up.

It feels weird to me how easy it is to heal attribute damage. Beyond the vast number of talents that heal it, a quarter day's rest heals *all* attribute damage. Yes, the GM could make this harder by making sure an encounter requiring rolls always happen when PCs rest, my experience from running this for a while is that unless the PCs are in immediate danger, they'll happily push everything and then just rest. This feels more like D&D 5e rather than the gritty game-play promised by the Year Zero engine.

Can anyone else share a creative way they've managed this?

Ebrim

Re: Hard Mode Question

Fri 27 Dec 2019, 04:13

So attribute damage is like stress in other games or even hp in that it doesn't represent actual injury, that's handled by the injury table. You effectively can't heal attribute damage with non-magic means because there's very little to treat until a character has been broken.

This having been said I do agree that pushing rolls feels too cheap. It's difficult given the sandbox environment of Forbidden Lands to sometimes introduce the time pressures that would make simply resting all the time not a viable option. One lever you have is resources, if they waste too much time resting, they may find themselves hungry or thirsty starting a cycle of doom but resources are generally pretty easy to maintain RAW*. Another lever is finding appropriate ways to apply that time pressure. Introduce weather or other complications that messes with their ability to effectively rest. Come up with your own random encounters that harass the players. The Forbidden Lands are wild and unsafe, if the PCs don't feel necessarily that they can rest whenever they choose, they'll be slightly more timid about risking damage from pushing - be careful of overdoing it though.

*Keep in mind that 1 unit/day is written as the "minimum", you can ramp up the need for resources if the situation demands it - strenuous activity, heat/cold, etc.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Jimorie

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 12:56

I think those are nice house rules. I like the change of PRIDE into a resource die, and how you tie it into Empathy. Would perhaps be more elegant if you found some resource for Wits too, but I guess there are no good fit.

One observation is that effects that heal attribute damage becomes stronger with this rule set. The Elf kin talent stands out in that regard.

PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 17:52

Thanks! Credit mostly goes to the other contributor! I just reworded stuff

PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 23:21

One simple House Rule would be that Rest only recovers 1d6 attribute points (distribute at will). Pretty straightforward. This would make it work more like Short Rests in D&D 5e and Cypher System refreshes.

AndreasDavour

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 12:17

One simple House Rule would be that Rest only recovers 1d6 attribute points (distribute at will). Pretty straightforward. This would make it work more like Short Rests in D&D 5e and Cypher System refreshes.

While I think it works nicely RAW, this is a really good house rule for a grittier game!