PencilBoy99
Topic Author

No Traps?

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 21:53

Some of the adventure sites and the dungeon generator include traps. The book says
TO FIND HIDDEN THINGS
The SCOUTING skill is not used to find hidden things like secret doors or hidden clues. If you describe how your PC searches the right place, the GM should simply let you discover what you are looking for if it is possible to find.
So unless the players dont say they are searching, they will always find every trap. This seems kind of weird, since this means that they will never be affected by traps. Is there some separate test for disarming them?

Fenhorn

Re: No Traps?

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 22:07

There is a difference between hidden doors (and clues) and traps. If you rely on that the PCs succeeds with a detection roll to find a hidden door, then an entire adventure could be over because of a failed skill roll.

Gamemaster's Guide p176
Let the adventurers roll a scouting roll to spot a trap in a room they enter. They can only roll if they actively look for traps.
Then to disarm it, that will probably depend on the trap. Some traps can be disarmed (sleight of hand perhaps), some can only be avoided.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

sefnerr

Re: No Traps?

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 22:25

Some of the adventure sites and the dungeon generator include traps. The book says
TO FIND HIDDEN THINGS
The SCOUTING skill is not used to find hidden things like secret doors or hidden clues. If you describe how your PC searches the right place, the GM should simply let you discover what you are looking for if it is possible to find.
So unless the players dont say they are searching, they will always find every trap. This seems kind of weird, since this means that they will never be affected by traps.  Is there some separate test for disarming them?
"If you describe how your PC searches the right place, "

I take that to mean the player's must describe "how and where" they are searching for traps in order to even have a chance of discovering them before the trap is triggered. If they aren't actively searching a trapped area, they more than likely will still find the trap, albeit at some cost...

also, On the Dungeon Traps table (p176, GG)
"Let the adventurers roll a SCOUTING roll to spot a trap in a room they enter. They can only roll if they actively look for traps "

I suppose if you discover a trap, it's up to the GM whether a trap can be disabled without triggering it.  Maybe a Lockpicker or Builder check?

EDIT/UPDATE: I'm too slow... what Fenhorn said.  lol
Sheet Author: Forbidden Lands on Roll20