Konungr

Re: The race for Stanengist and the artefacts

Fri 29 May 2020, 07:47

My intention is to place the sword inside of a loot pile of a dragon that is away of a randomly generated dungeon. The sword will kick off the search by drawing in the other major players in the campaign as the players build reputation. And since the sword can talk to it's weilder it can feed the players some information (albeit skewed by it's personality and motivations).

Also now I can have a dragon hunting the players eventually. Win/win!

Mr Oldtimer

Fri 29 May 2020, 10:21

I've also been pondering how to introduce the clues/legends to the Stanengist. I appreciate that the Free League wanted a sandboxy, Skyrim type of world where there is a main plotline, but players are free to ignore it - entirely or partially - and do their own thing for a while. I want to draw on that and have the PCs kind of stumble over the Crown or its associated artifacts and then get dragged into the plot further and further.

To help with that, I have recruited a bunch of "Shadow players" (inspired from Svavelvinter's Skuggmakter) - these are players who run the Key NPCs for me by discord chat and on a boardgame in Roll20. Their primary motivations are already clearly laid out, so it should be too hard to make them discover the PC group and then try to either recruit them to their cause or antagonize them...which in turn will prompt the others to react accordingly, and sooner or later, the web of Key NPC intrigues should make the PCs go..."Let's do something about this". Thus, the environment will create the motivation they need.

I think.
I really like this approach. Too bad I don’t have enough players to do this... Would be nice to get some kind of hint how all this played out in the end. Thoughts, experience and suggestions for games to come...

WanaxOdysseus

Fri 29 May 2020, 22:53

Can follow the campaign here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/590503721

It's also on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMklywcurJ8

The Shadow play is just being set up now, so for the first 3 sessions, it has not made much of an inprint yet, but....it will come, for sure.

Lalipat

Wed 03 Jun 2020, 14:58

Awesome.

Im thinking something like... A key players flow chart. Quick sentence or 2 explanation of who they are and what they want. throw in major artifacts and locations too.

Then a second flowchart detailing major events. Here we can have the suggestions for how the players might get pointed in their direction of stumble onto them.

Include a pg number reference for the more detailed information about each location player and event.

When i have some time maybe i will dig through Ravens Purge and make an example.
I also like this idea, and actually did a Swedish flowchart a while ago. It got really messy in the end. You can see it here: https://prezi.com/view/atbHLgU6ceo5xXP5kq8h/

I also like the way the campaign in Bitter Reach is structured with different phases that affects how the world changes over time and from the adventurers actions. I am thinking if sch a structre could be used for Raven's Purge as well. Maybe different randomized events-tables for different phases and even different tables for different areas of the map. Has anyone thought the same?

Tywyll

Thu 04 Jun 2020, 10:52

Awesome.

Im thinking something like... A key players flow chart. Quick sentence or 2 explanation of who they are and what they want. throw in major artifacts and locations too.

Then a second flowchart detailing major events. Here we can have the suggestions for how the players might get pointed in their direction of stumble onto them.

Include a pg number reference for the more detailed information about each location player and event.

When i have some time maybe i will dig through Ravens Purge and make an example.
I also like this idea, and actually did a Swedish flowchart a while ago. It got really messy in the end. You can see it here: https://prezi.com/view/atbHLgU6ceo5xXP5kq8h/

I also like the way the campaign in Bitter Reach is structured with different phases that affects how the world changes over time and from the adventurers actions. I am thinking if sch a structre could be used for Raven's Purge as well. Maybe different randomized events-tables for different phases and even different tables for different areas of the map. Has anyone thought the same?
Would love to see an English version!

rennarda

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 13:19

I found the Stanengist Crown was almost trivially easy to acquire - the book even suggests that the giant in the Vale of the Dead gives it to the players for fetching his horn form the Orcs. This was a pretty easy thing for even a starting character to do, with the help of Kalmax and his buddies.

I chose the Vale of the Dead as one of the first adventure locations we used party because it wasn't too dangerous!

So my player has acquired Stanengist very early on, which sets an interesting dynamic. Instead of actively questing for it, she's now in a kind of Bilbo Baggins situation, trying to keep it safe and secret, and also trying to understand what it is and what it can do. I've set up a Rust Brother as a nemesis who's going to pursue it, so that should act as a 'push', and the 'pull' will be the drive to acquire the other artefacts.

Brior

Sat 28 Nov 2020, 09:02

So my player has acquired Stanengist very early on, which sets an interesting dynamic. Instead of actively questing for it, she's now in a kind of Bilbo Baggins situation, trying to keep it safe and secret, and also trying to understand what it is and what it can do. I've set up a Rust Brother as a nemesis who's going to pursue it, so that should act as a 'push', and the 'pull' will be the drive to acquire the other artefacts.
That's pretty much as I started out myself. In fact, one of the adventurers got the crown from start. He found dead people in the road and the crown lying there in the carnage – like the drug money in ”No Country for Old Men”. He knows its important and wanted by dangerous people and is basically on the run without knowing much about the whys and whos and whats.