faun

Bind Magic living creature restriction

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 04:15

Why is there a specific restriction on bind magic that the spell can only be cast on dead items. Some spell effects would seem to be far for useful to last a quarter day or more. Is it always best to cast a spell into to an object that would then be able to cause the effect, here's an example:

Beastmaster cast on a warhorse lasts 15 minutes, but you might need to ride the animal for a day, a few days, or a week or more. It seems more useful to cast on the animal rather than on a object that would then cast it on the animal. 

Or am I approaching bind magic incorrectly. it doesn't bind the effect, but it binds ability to cast the spell at some time in the future?

Would it be a different spell (not in the Player Guide) then that might be used to enchant slippers with the ability to have the speed of deer dash when worn like the artifacts in the GM guide?

(Edited after I re-read the spell)
The current bind spell seems to allow permanently enchanted items the ability to cast a spell 1+ times a day so the deer dash slippers could be activated once a day with the 2 WP to power it.
Last edited by faun on Wed 30 Oct 2019, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

hperantunes

Re: Bind Magic living creature restriction

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 04:34

My understanding is that, as you stated, "it binds ability to cast the spell at some time in the future" - minus the risk associated to actually casting the spell at the moment you activate it.

An item like the magic slippers you've described would is so powerful in the Forbidden Lands that it would be an Artifact.

faun

Re: Bind Magic living creature restriction

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 05:40

My understanding is that, as you stated, "it binds ability to cast the spell at some time in the future" - minus the risk associated to actually casting the spell at the moment you activate it.

An item like the magic slippers you've described would is so powerful in the Forbidden Lands that it would be an Artifact.
Thanks that's what I'm seeing also. While there isn't a mechanism to make such an item by PC's it doesn't stop me from putting the slippers in play, I'd give them a nasty drawback so it isn't as attractive as it might seem.
GZIP: Off