Mr Oldtimer

Re: Increasing Talent Costs

Tue 29 Oct 2019, 14:44

Could this be remedied by caping the amount of talents at... I don’t know... twice the PC WITS stat? Or would that be too hard?

withoutscratch

Tue 29 Oct 2019, 15:19

Well how about confronting them not with regular combat.
Use Social conflict or Riddels.

If all in the Campain is fighting monsters and Thugs I as player would start to invest in combat Talents too.

Some nice RP with Manipulations rolls and insight will help

Ebrim
Topic Author

Tue 29 Oct 2019, 15:31

Well how about confronting them not with regular combat.
Use Social conflict or Riddels.

If all in the Campain is fighting monsters and Thugs I as player would start to invest in combat Talents too.

Some nice RP with Manipulations rolls and insight will help
Oh definitely. I’m assuming that players face a whole array of challenges, not just combat.

Mr Oldtimer

Tue 29 Oct 2019, 17:31

Yes, but most of those challenges can be passet even though they don’t have a talent for that. Combat, however, usually have a more drastic ending if they fail so they tend to favor combat oriented talents.

faun

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 05:31

You might also give them a highly cursed magic item (oh wait nearly all the artifacts have some bad side effects) You might also attack the stronghold when they are away, make it difficult to find trainers, require training on any new skill, make training cost more money in addition to the xp, Make the training come at a price, part of their soul or something that limits how much of their sanity they can leverage.
I gave a fighter a sweet sword. He had a d10 artifact die, and it had cool effects when it hit. The drawback is that it started to storm each time he pulled it out. Not just a small rain storm but a lightening crashing, high wind, driving rain storm. Any successes from the artifact die were delivered as lightening, but also caused a random roll on the horror table that affected him any anyone within 20 feet. Delusions, nightmares, and paranoia were handed out and caused a huge issue. He still used the sword because it had many benefits, but less often and the party became wary of him. There was also the 'my precious' curse on another item the group had, which lead to a lot of odd directions. 
I guess this doesn't really relate to increasing talent issues, but there are some things that talents can't overcome very easily, or that just because you have a talent doesn't guarantee success.

hperantunes

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 23:16

Yeah, faun, this is not really about players' characters having "too many talents" or being "too powerful". In fact, it has nothing to do with that. :D.

This topic was brought forward from a discussion on the tendency of experienced characters having lots of talents while skills see almost no progression, and ideas to make skills improvement more prevalent.

Valyar

Thu 31 Oct 2019, 20:08

I also notice this tendency to favor talents instead of skills. But at some point they should find out that good dice pool is also important. Rerolls and WP is nice to use on talent features, but won't help if you can't pull a roll off :D

Ebrim
Topic Author

Thu 31 Oct 2019, 21:13

My current thoughts on this after reflecting on it the last couple days is that this could be a nuclear option if one really wanted to put the breaks on talents or guide toward skill points.

My approach right now will basically be this:
- throttle back on xp so that the normal session would be 2 and no more than 3.
- continue what I'm doing now where talents have to be justified in some way, no grab-bag from all the available. Make sure players know when talents are available to be learned (eg. "you killed a gryphon, you could learn dragonslayer this session" or "you rolled the lowest possible result on critical injury table, you're eligible for lucky this session") This is similar to how skills work where you can only improve them after a successful use.

Konungr

Fri 01 Nov 2019, 03:08

My current thoughts on this after reflecting on it the last couple days is that this could be a nuclear option if one really wanted to put the breaks on talents or guide toward skill points.

- continue what I'm doing now where talents have to be justified in some way, no grab-bag from all the available. Make sure players know when talents are available to be learned (eg. "you killed a gryphon, you could learn dragonslayer this session" or "you rolled the lowest possible result on critical injury table, you're eligible for lucky this session") This is similar to how skills work where you can only improve them after a successful use.
I agree with the idea of limiting when a talent can be purchased.

Or at least mimic the magic talents. You want to learn that talent on your own without circumstance or training? Vastly more expensive and rolls required.

Ebrim
Topic Author

Fri 01 Nov 2019, 04:42

I agree with the idea of limiting when a talent can be purchased.

Or at least mimic the magic talents. You want to learn that talent on your own without circumstance or training? Vastly more expensive and rolls required.
That's a really good idea. I like that.