lupex

Monsters too easy?

Sat 19 Oct 2019, 15:57

We’ve been playing for quite a while now and the characters have a few tier 3 talents, and Kin talents such as Hunting Instincts, allowing the Wolfkin to add up to +10 to attack monsters, and two characters have the fighter talent Path of the Blade which can be used to bypass natural armour. With all of these good talents it seems that individual monsters are being defeated quite easily and within two or three rounds due to good dice rolls.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

As a fix I was thinking of allowing most monsters to take two turns each round, and also changing a monster attack to a fast action so that they can attack twice on their turn, which will increase the challenge of each monster. (I wouldn’t do this for undead or insectiods though).

I might also use more packs of monsters so that the party have to split their attention.

Thoughts?

Konungr

Re: Monsters too easy?

Sat 19 Oct 2019, 16:09

I would make sure they have a constant mix of regular enemies and monsters. If they are all speced to kill monsters then how are they handling well armed and armored people? What happens when the monster has a handler like the guy on the cover of the box?

You don't want their talents to go to waste. But you also can't let the game become one long string of monsters either.

hperantunes

Sat 19 Oct 2019, 17:23

I've also found that individual monsters go down quite easily even when the party is poorly equipped, but with a decent amount of experience (~40xp).

In this game, numbers matter a lot: 4 adventurers will easily dispatch a single monster, 4 x 4 will make for a tough fight and if you throw more than double the amount of enemies, the party is most likely going to lose.

Fenhorn

Sat 19 Oct 2019, 17:29

Number is good thing to as well as extra initiative cards. Also, use tactics (who to attack first, environment, etc.) and choose attack instead of rolling so the attack fits the situation. The monster should know who to fight.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 19 Oct 2019, 19:09

Good and sound advice here. I have begun to notice my players tend to vanquish monsters too fast nowadays. I don’t want them to feel like I’m boosting monsters but on the other hand, they don’t hesitate to take on even strong monsters now. At least not single monsters. I’ve tried to focus a bit on role play and intrigues but they still buy fighting oriented talents for their XP.
Keep the good advices coming. I’m taking notes...

Ebrim

Sat 19 Oct 2019, 21:46

Monster double attack is very much in the rules for upping the difficulty so that's certainly a step in the right direction. Also, if they're half-starved and sleep deprived they might not find it so easy. The environment is a great tool for wearing them down, especially during extended travel, the wilderness should be dangerous. Fall the wrong way and that full waterskin is now torn open and your pants are all wet, not only do you not have any water stored now it's time to make a cold check.

withoutscratch

Tue 22 Oct 2019, 08:15

How about to give the monsters a decent amount of parry?
Or consider to give them some Talents as well.

A well seasoned Alpha Wolf might have Brawler Tier 3.

Consider Some natural Weapons as Knife, Sword or Axe.
And use the Talents for that.

faun

Thu 24 Oct 2019, 04:04

So these are things that I'm doing for the same reasons:
  • Waves of monsters ( come upon one set, another shows up a round or 3 in)
  • A Leader who uses a method to lead (like a matron harpy, a daddy ogre, an alpha worg, etc.
  • Adding better armor, talents, skills to kin and bumping up group numbers. Mix ranged and melee fighters to create a cuisinart of sorts.
  • Add a magic using creature/demon/monster leading a bunch of protectors.
  • Add traps to the battle field. "Why are they using the shove tactic on us so much...Aaarghh iiieeeeee...! "
  • One encounter that was especially satisfying was they came upon a battle that was in progress, then another group was attracted to the sounds of battle. oh I already said waves..too much fun right?
  • spell effects they don't know about
  • Throwing them into a hush zone, or a darkness zone
  • creatures that seem like the other group they had fought but these have resistances/immunities
  • poison
  • I like the idea of creating a new d6 list that includes multiple attack things for the beasts like sweep, claw/claw/bite.
Anyway you might also move from combat to intrigue, those can get messy really fast

SpandexAndy

Thu 24 Oct 2019, 14:57

Yes I am finding a problem with monsters dying too quickly also. At a recent session, the party killed a troll in round 1.
That is when the PCs go full nova and blow a lot of Willpower on activating their talents.
I haven't been Dodging for monsters. I see in the GM book, it says monsters *can* dodge (and Parry, if they have a weapon) (Pg 74), but the monster stat blocks don't give any numbers for this. And how often can they Dodge? Is it once per round? That will only help a little bit when multiple PCs are each making multiple attacks.
I suppose I could use the advice on pg 75 and draw multiple initiative cards for the monsters.

Fenhorn

Thu 24 Oct 2019, 15:32

Yes I am finding a problem with monsters dying too quickly also. At a recent session, the party killed a troll in round 1.
That is when the PCs go full nova and blow a lot of Willpower on activating their talents.
I haven't been Dodging for monsters. I see in the GM book, it says monsters *can* dodge (and Parry, if they have a weapon) (Pg 74), but the monster stat blocks don't give any numbers for this. And how often can they Dodge? Is it once per round? That will only help a little bit when multiple PCs are each making multiple attacks.
I suppose I could use the advice on pg 75 and draw multiple initiative cards for the monsters.
Monsters have two actions like everybody else and if they don't have a skill, use the attribute. Although here you have to use some discretion. A giant don't parry for example. When it comes to troll, use them in groups and choose the most appropriate monster attack, you can roll if it doesn't matter.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore
GZIP: Off