Elthrandil

What to find in Falender?

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 17:23

Hey, 

my group is currently in the vicinity of Falender and are interested to visit the ruins. I thought about a big group of cruel bandits who live there and use these avoided ruins as a hideout, but wanted to ask you guys for ideas what one could find there! :D

Ebrim

Re: What to find in Falender?

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 17:37

A hideout of Reapenters who take special delight in planning out their next atrocity amidst the ruins of a human city. Symbolically it would be a pretty powerful site for them I think.

KarlOlsson

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 21:34

In my campaign Falender wasn't burned down by bandits as the lore states. Instead it was burned down by a dragon that is now sleeping at the bottom of the lake north of the city. 

Also in the ruined temple to Wyrm (I think the english translation of the god is, I have the books in swedish) on of Tvedras Twin Rings (again, my guess of english translation) can be found on the remains of a body. And to make it more interesting, the other ring is stuck on one of the dragons claws. And of course the dragon awoke when the adventurer carrying the ring got hurt. 

Also, the ruins has been inhabited by orchs who has established a fortress there. 

This, along with a couple of more things I established in our game, made quite a nice mess for the adventurers to find themselves in!

Elthrandil

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 17:01

Thanks for your answers! I really like your ideas - I think I will use Falender as a hideout for a cruel group of Repeanters. Like Ebrim said, the location really fits for them. My group will get to see the remains of their work in an old Aslene fortress in Ag21 soon  :D

rcrowder

Thu 05 Sep 2019, 17:17

In my game Falender is a still burning city.  The city is black and ruins, but it still seems to smoke and smolder constantly burning but somehow not consuming itself.  

They ran into various strange undead and fire creatures (from the Fire Mages experiments).  

Eventually they found a secret Raven Sisters temple under the city, the only stone building that was in the city that survived the disaster.  They are their trying to research both what was going on with the Mists, and trying to figure out what about the magic keeps the city constantly burning. 

It was a place for the druid to get some training, as well as them to get some pointers to some new places including the fire mage, and the ocean front temple.
(I don't have my book open to remember the places or peoples names)

faun

Thu 05 Sep 2019, 23:03

In my game Falender is a still burning city.  
Reminds me of tire fires that start and go for years, one started in 1989 – In Heyope (near Knighton, Powys, Wales) and 15 years later in 2004 it was put out. so even in our possibly low magic world there are fires that burn for over a decade...

rcrowder

Sat 07 Sep 2019, 23:43

Reminds me of tire fires that start and go for years, one started in 1989 – In Heyope (near Knighton, Powys, Wales) and 15 years later in 2004 it was put out. so even in our possibly low magic world there are fires that burn for over a decade...
That was kind of my thoughts.  Some unusual magic of the world keeps it burning, and the Raven Sisters, being one of the few groups who cares about the wellbeing of the land, is trying to figure out why.
I haven't filled it in more than that because i tend to not write up more details unless my party chases the legend, because they might just move on and leave it (they did that with The Hollows).  They got involved with the conflict between leaders, but left without really researching the graveyard in the slightest. :)  Sometimes players get curious about the strangest things.
GZIP: Off