Gaddeborg

Re: Weatherstone

Wed 03 Apr 2019, 20:25

I like that the bridge is up and that the adventure site has no obvious solution to the problem of how to get over. Briors old adventure Svavelvinter (best adventure of all times) has several such problems. Players usually get very creative when faced with such problems, and GM:s usually become easy-going with letting the schemes work, which gives a good game in my opinion. In this case, one could probably craft something from old wood laying around, throw a lasso or something to get over. 

olaskoog

Mon 27 May 2019, 10:12

I like that the bridge is up and that the adventure site has no obvious solution to the problem of how to get over. Briors old adventure Svavelvinter (best adventure of all times) has several such problems. Players usually get very creative when faced with such problems, and GM:s usually become easy-going with letting the schemes work, which gives a good game in my opinion. In this case, one could probably craft something from old wood laying around, throw a lasso or something to get over. 
Agree! My players went back to "The House of Knights" and carried with them a really large table and used that as a bridge :)

Jeff Mindlin

Sat 27 Jul 2019, 00:01

Can’t the wagon house just be at the back of the ravine which is accessible from ground level underneath location 4??

quote=blueman01 post_id=31422 time=1527279772 user_id=6835]
During the Alpha, there were several comments regarding the adventure site Weatherstone. None of those comments were addressed in the Beta Gamemaster's Guide release.

For discussion:
1. War chest is 'hidden in the stronghold's dungeons' in the description but later it is in a wagon house and not hidden.
2. In the description: The curse is not fully lifted, every full moon the undead rise - this is not explored in the text at all. If this were true, there should be signs of a lot of recent movement in the dust (depending on how often full moons happen here). And, the undead could be up and about when the players arrive just from bad timing.
3. Problem with the legend - there is a mention of a curse being broken - but no mention of a curse being cast. This is confusing. In the legend it is just the will of Algarod that keeps him going - this is not a curse per se.
4. Dalb knows way too much - any adventurer should be questioning how Dalb knows that there is an 'unholy creature lurking in the cellar that can rip a mans arms off'. He shouldn't know this unless he was in there. But also, how does he know that Rustbite can slay it? For example: some demons can only be hurt by water - how does he have the knowledge that Rustbite can harm the creature? He shouldn't. A crafty player will catch this.
5. The map doesn't adequately describe where the 'wagon house' is. Our only description comes from the Ravine. At the bottom of the ravine is a cave that was used as a wagon house. How did wagons get in there? There should be an easy access road if wagons traveled it. Where is this road on the map? It should be obvious and easily accessible if it is a wagon house.
6. It is hard to justify leaving treasure in the open, just sitting in wagons in a wagon house. It should have been stolen immediately after it was left there.
7. The creature alternates between scorpion/human/lion and scorpion/lion. 

Solutions:
1. Create a secret passage from the laboratory to a dungeon room. When adventurers get down into the dungeon they will see that the wall has partially collapsed giving access to the ravine outside. Simple, everything else regarding harpies etc stays the same.
2. Remove the bit about the full moon having the dead rise. It isn't needed.
3. Change the legend to correctly describe Therania cursing the king and his men and forcing them to guard Weatherstone. Now we have a curse.
4. Change Dalb's tale to say that he heard a rumor (from a halfling minstrel, who heard it from a goblin that recently attempted to steal from Weatherstone - or just a rumor) that there is a creature lurking in the castle. As for slaying it - include an additional legend:
"If what Esgar is saying is true, and the sword of king Algarod is here, it may be just the thing you need. Legend has it that the king was able to slay many of Zygofer's monsters before he finally fell. His sword is likely magical. Find the sword and you may be able to kill the beast." Now he no longer has to have been in Weatherstone and he has no specific knowledge of killing the creature.
5. Ditch the wagon house. The treasure is in a secret room. Now there is no need to change the map to create a road to a wagon house.
6. Put the treasure in a secret dungeon room.
7. Fix the creature description to be one or the other.
[/quote]

Arnold

Sat 27 Jul 2019, 15:20

I´m on it too. I will give it as a first adventrue site to my group.

On the treasure of the wagon house: When it is in the secret room, why do the harpies have access to it?
I like the harpies playing with the groups and have the adventures a real motivation to deal with them ...

In my weatherstone, there was a rockfall which brings down the bridge on the wagon house so that the road is totally blocked  with rumble. 

I´m only having the problem that there is no view on any road, there is only the moat?! mmmh.
I like the idea of the secret room, i think i will lay the septre of nekraha in it and let the adventures find it much later ...

Arnold

Thu 01 Aug 2019, 09:50

Hi everybody,

I have just finished to work over weatherstone. The adventure side is great, but leaves the games master with some unfinished work. I think it is not so easy that the room plans are missing.
I haven´t developed them, but filled some holes where i think there were some.

Here are the changes:
1) Of the ca. 200 Undead, there are always 20 or so awake and the rst is sleeping. Every night, this changes, and 20 other undead are awake. There will alwasy be awake undead  at the main gate (1), the house of knights (10), the upper drawbridge (2) and the soldier barraks.
2) The ravine has an acces to the other site of the castle, so that it makes sense that their is a wagon room with the ttreasure chests of the king.
3) The castle is of old elfish construction.
4) At the side of the labor, there are 5 or 6 smaller buildings for workers and so on. I filled in a bibliothek, a bakery, a pottery, a hospital, a brewery and a tempel. All the buildings are demolished inside. All of them have maha signs at the front door (house of healing und pottery are in the spires of quetzel, for the 4 others i used the house sign and developed 4 signs myself). In the tempel are under a pile of rumbel 3 signs, door, open and close. With finding and pressing the correct signs, there opens a secret door with will lead to a stairway down an even bigger tempel with 4 intact staues of the gods clay, wail, strom and the nightwalker. In the hands of the statue of wail is the scepter of nerekhal.
5) Algarod is manipulated through the magic portrai of him over his bed. If he awakes, a ghostly figure of Terania will appear. She will let him and his guards attack. By taking or destroying the painting, Algarod is freed from her curse but still undead. He will hesiate and be open for more nonviolent solutians. He is the only person in the castle who knows of the tempel under the earth and the place of the scepter.

I have developed a system of languages for the forbidden lands which can be learned through the lore skill. There are the main languages Alderlandish and Old Speak (Aillander, Elves, Dwarfs and Orcs) and the smaller languages Belifar (Goblins and Halflings), Aslen (for the Human Rider tribes) and Howling (Wolfkin).
Aside, there are some secret languages like the maha signs, old dwarf, old elfish, the dark language and the languages of npc like whiners, lizardmen and ogres.
All living and undead in the castle speak alderlandish.