Farydia
Topic Author

When and how to increase reputation

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 17:44

Newbie to the Forbidden Lands here!

We just started our campaign two weeks ago, everyone had a blast and we will continue next Tuesday. So I had three weeks to think about things that will be totally irrelevant for the next session :D.

Thus, I am wondering how often and to what extent do you increase your players' reputation?
Do you increase individual score (as in: Tom handed over the Dragon's Head, so he is associated with slaying it, too) or do you collectively increase reputation for everyone (as in: Well, Tom didn't defeat the Dragon all by his lonesome)?

Also, what's the scale and is there a maximum reputation you can reach? How (in)famous is a person or group with a reputation score of 5? What deeds do qualify for an increase - or do you let several smaller feats stack up?

And is it possible for reputation to go down again? For example by deliberately keeping a low profile for a few months?

If someone could answer at least a few of those questions, I'd be happy :).

Konungr

Re: When and how to increase reputation

Fri 16 Oct 2020, 02:55

So I would increase reputation when they do something note worthy that would get spread around. Did they burn down a rust brother settlement? Reputation goes up. Did they return with a saught after artifact sword? Reputation up. Help a faction or betray one? Rep.

Reputation generally raises for the group unless somebody is doing things for themselves or spreading their own stories around.

Generally I would only raise it 1 point, unless what happens is real big. Completing Ravens Purge would probably be worth 3. No max.

Reputation doesn't go down. But you might do things to put penalties on the roll. Hiding or duisguising yourself would make you unrecognizable so when people roll reputation you are less likely to be identified.

Farydia
Topic Author

Re: When and how to increase reputation

Wed 21 Oct 2020, 15:53

Thanks for the hints! So I'll be careful not to rise rep too easily. :)