Magnus Seter
Topic Author

Mad idea: give out all legends in one go - anyone tried it?

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 14:22

I'm thinking about how to run The Forbidden Lands as well as I can, and one thing that came up in our after-session discussion yesterday was the legends.

Has anyone tried handing them all out at once? And let the players have access to them all from the start? What complications could there be with that?

Cheers

/Magnus

Konungr

Re: Mad idea: give out all legends in one go - anyone tried it?

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 14:56

I started a campaign by giving the players each 2 + their lore skill legends. Some were about items, and some locations, and some people depending on how their characters and backstories fleshed out. I.E. an Elf knew the legend of what Stenegrast (I know thats spelled wrong) was, a Aslene knew of Zeterome, everyone had some inkling about a ruin or some crap somewhere they could head towards.

It helped them feel like they lived in the world while also making new legends a reward. (there is a event in the book where if the players help some Raven Sisters the Raven Sisters tell them some legends in return).

I would never give the players ALL the legends. Then they are just a bunch of know-it-alls and nobody has anything they could be telling them and it cuts off one of my reward streams.

lupex

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 15:30

I have given out at least one legend each session but I have found that my players have got a bit overwhelmed and keep changing direction, unsure of which legend to follow up next.

OddsBodkins

Sat 27 Jun 2020, 04:20

Legends give the game flavour - I like to dole mine out one per session through recollections the adventurers might have or from NPCs they meet along the way. Given how important Stanengist is to the story of the Ravenlands, I like to get that one out of the way earlier on and have the others branch out from there.