_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Frontier War - Mission 3B Destroyer Of Worlds (Act.1 & 2)

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 04:27

Frontier War Campaign
MISSION 3B
Destroyer Of Worlds (Act.1 & 2)
At Fort Nebraska space elevator ground base and her colony
On the moon Ariarcus (in the Kruger 60 system)

Arthur's Note : There is no Black Death or Anathema in this version. It was not planned in my campaign at that time.

Mission

As a nearby system (the 61 Cygni system) falls to the UPP, the PCs assume the role of a ragtag Colonial Marine squad assembled on the oil-rich moon Ariarcus. Their goal is to hunt down four fugitives with stolen classified intelligence. The PCs are sent out into the colony to find them.

The USCMC 2nd platoon (kilo company) alpha section is composed of :

-Sergeant Matthews (section sergeant)
-Synthetic Lance (scientific advisor and medic)
-Corporal Biehn (1st squad leader)
-PFC Jenette (1st squad smartgunner)
-PFC Paxton (1st squad comtech)
-Private Ricco (1st squad sniper)
-Corporal Giler (2nd squad leader)
-Private Rolston (2nd squad smartgunner)
-Private Coles (2nd squad comtech)
-PFC Winston (2nd squad sniper)

The UAS El Diablo (Mantis Multimission Transport) - support crew
-Captain Wincott
-Pilot Flowers
-Mercenary Perlman
-Synthetic Winona
-Tanya Lebedev (advisor)
-Arietta Pichilemu (advisor)

Gear requisition

Ariarcus is cold. Temperatures hover in the -23C to 0C range. PCs are given gloves, snow hat, parkas and winter boots.

The Kruger 60 system situation

The Kruger 60 system has been a key oil supply and military staging post for the United Americas Allied Command (UAAC) for years. The severe petroleum shortage throughout the colonies has led the United Americas, the Three World Empire and the Union of Progressive Peoples into a race to secure new sources of crude oil. Tired of severly rationed supplies and mega-corporations' mistreatment, insurgency groups of the Ariarcus colony have cropped up in defiance of their local governments. Recently, the UPP expanded their borders to engulf 61 Cygni, annexing the colony on LV-038 in the process. The nearest system, Kruger 60, is feared to be next. With barely 2200 colonists remaining, most of the colony is a ghost town. A little more than half of those are UPP loyalists. There are currently 200 support marines in orbit and about the same moonside.

The space elevator of Fort Nebraska

A moon-to-space transportation system, the space elevator consists of a cable anchored to the surface that extends to Counterweight Station in geosynchronous orbit. This design permits a three-story climber car to travel along the 20-meter thick cable in 30 minutes (ride to the station). A series of flexible pipelines also run up the tether, allowing a transfer of crude oil directly to the refinery in space. The climbers are designed to ferry troops, weapons, supplies and work crews.

Mission briefing

The deaths of private Tipping, private Steedman and chief mechanic Pinon took a heavy toll on the morale of the group. General Vaughn did not liked the loss of Mr.Ganon either. After several days of intensive mandatory trainings, shore leave is given to the team on the moon Ariarcus in the Kruger 60 system. At the same time, the team will meet with the General Vaughn's next liaison agent, Ms.Eckford.

The support team (The mantis hauler UAS El Diablo, Captain Wincott, Mercenary Perlman, Pilot Flowers and Synthetic Winona) are now assigned directly to Lieutenant Hope and his operations budgets. Tanya Lebedev and Arietta Pichilemu were not willing to return to UPP territory or with the General Vaughn. They accepted with great joy to join the crew of the El Diablo.

It has been decided that UAS El Diablo would bring the team to Ariarcus. Major work will be carried out on the Diablo in order to integrate a new gravity drive FTL engine. It should take 2-3 days of maintenance at the Colony Spaceport.

The Diablo descends on the frozen moon. The jovian giant Oblivion fills the sky. The Diablo approaches the colony and it lands at the Colony Spaceport (in Pad B). Protected by a five-meter storm wall, the colony's spaceport lies on the edge of District South. Security forces are positioned at the front gate. There are 6 squads of marines stationed here, 24 marines. Major Hatfield is in command of the Spaceport. A massive conestoga-class ship (called The USCSS Monygham) sits on the largest pad (Pad A). The control tower's storm shutters are closed. A warm light glows from Hangar 01, there are people inside. PCs enter. A battered M577 APC is being refuelled there. A resolute corporate-looking woman stands next to lieutenant Hope. It's Ms.Eckford.

"One week ago, the UPP annexed the nearby 61 Cygni system. All communication with the colony there on LV-038 was abruptly lost. In response, Allied Command assembled a fleet to take back 61 Cygni, using the Fort Nebraska as a staging ground. All civilian transports were grounded last week to secure the perimeter. You are here for a special moon-side mission. A four-man marine squad went AWOL a few days ago from this base with classified intelligence. Intelligence that simply cannot fall into enemy hands. Command believes the AWOLs plan to make contact with the moon insurgents and defect to the UPP. We're looking for Wojcik, Carvalho, Wright and Reese. The commander of Fort Nebraska, Colonel Meyers, wants you to find theses defectors, confirm their identities and bring them in. I will coordinate from here (headquarters will be here in the Diablo). All communication will go through me on a secure channel. We are thin on leads. I suggest you start at the bar to get information. Remember there are insurgents out there so stay alert. Deadly force is authorized. Your orders are to bring them alive, if you can. Ms.Eckford (here) will accompany you. She's running the show. Good luck Marines", (says Lieutenant Hope). "All right. I want this to go smooth and by the numbers. I want DCS and tactical database assimilation in the APC. We leave in 15 minutes", (says Ms.Eckford).

It has been decided that the Diablo crew (Captain Wincott, Mercenary Perlman, Pilot Flowers, Synthetic Winona and Major Arietta) will stay in the Mantis hauler with Lieutenant Hope and provide plan B support if things go to hell (with the lieutenant's approval or not). Major repairs will be carried out on the Diablo to integrate a new gravity drive FTL engine. The maintenance crews are already starting to work. Sergeant Matthews and the section prepare the APC for departure. Lance, Biehn and Tanya decide to talk to a tarmac officer who smokes a cigarette near Hangar 01. "Ya I saw these guys (the AWOLs) last night at the Oblivion (Bar). They were arguing. I just want to say that there are a lot of people who are disappearing lately in the colony. They are nowhere to be found. People here are not insurgents, you will see. They are just poor people who are starving, want a warm home and have some kind of future", (says the tarmac officer).

Downtown (District South)

The Alpha section gets in the APC with Ms.Eckford and advisor Tanya Lebedev. The APC leaves the spaceport. The wheels have been fitted out for winter traction. Some colonists have made temporary shelters at the front gate while waiting (having the right) to leave Ariarcus. Ms.Eckford is scanning the AWOLs PDTs with her p-dat computer. The device is not receiving any signals. Either they are gone off-moon or the PDTs no longer works.

The Ariarcus weather is going bad and a blizzard rolls into town. After a short ride, the APC stops and PCs get out. Falling snow makes the visibility difficult. A large blue neon with a red crescent moon marks the entrance of the colony's only open bar (The Eye of Oblivion). Inside, the bass rumbles. Smoke strings the PCs'eyes. As the marines move through the dense crowd, locals shy away and quickly hide their illicit substances. "We have to go to the bar and talk with the manager now. We need to have access to the security cameras and look at the footage from last night. We are too visible here", (says Ms.Eckford). The Oblivion's manager is a former Venture Type Fel Two pleasure model synthetic (it's easy to determine with the colour of the pale skin). The PCs ask her to talk in private. She directs them in the back store. Ms.Eckford, Sergeant Matthews, Lance, Corporal Biehn and Tanya go with the manager (Fel2) to the main office. Rotating security camera feeds areas of Oblivion and can be viewed on three monitors.

"We are not military locals. We are a special task force looking for 4 fugitive marines (he shows the photos). We would like to watch yesterday's recordings from your cameras. Have you seen these guys. What can you tell us about the situation here", (says Corporal Biehn). "Yes I saw them. The 4 marines were here last night. They met with a man called Botos, he's an insurgent. Then they had an argument and left separately. The marshals arrived and arrested the guy called Botos", (says Fel2). "What can you tell us about the people here. We saw the camps at the spaceport. People told us that the locals were starving. We were also told that people are disappearing", (says Tanya). "Yes there is a human crisis here. The military are closing everything. Colonel Meyers has created his personal little kingdom here. The 2000 colonists are all poor people who cannot afford to leave Ariarcus. This is the reason why people want to revolt or defect to the UPP. And yes people are disappearing. It's quite disturbing", (says Fel2). "What can we do to help these colonists", (says Lance). "I have a special safehouse underneath the Oblivion (in the basement) with dozen refugees and families. I'm caring for them. I'm giving medical supplies and food. All I want is to get these colonists to safety. There is someone who could help. In the bar, there is Captain Edie of the HMS Magpie (it's an old beaten M Class Lockmart Bison CM-88G freighter). Her ship is stuck at the spaceport in Handar 02. The engines need to be repaired but Edie is not able to find the parts. If the army can provide, we could evacuate all these people off-moon. I can pay for the parts", (says Fel2). "We can do that, I'm sure", (says Corporal Biehn)."That's a good idea", (says Ms.Eckford).

The Marshal Station (District East)

Lieutenant Hope agreed to find the parts for the HMS Magpie directly at the spaceport. He discusses with Major Hatfield about it. Captain Edie returns with PCs to the spaceport. The Diablo crew (Wincott, Perlman, Flowers, Winona and Arietta) will help put the old Lockmart Bison back on its feet. They are already starting to work.

This time PCs are taking the APC to the Marshal Station. PCs want to talk to Botos. The streets are dark and deserted. The snow is falling. The colony's lights light up the darkened day. PCs arrive at the Marshal Station and enter. The receptionist (a name tag on the desk says Hello I'm Olga) is inundated with reports and CB radio calls (looting, missing persons and monster sightings). PCs ask to see the marshal in charge. An old policeman arrives to meet with them in the Bullpen (it's Marshal Hyams). PCs show the (AWOLs) photos and ask Hyams for leads. "We are very busy. We have lots of missing persons. We have people who have seen 7ft monsters. We have trespassers at the old oil refinery. San Rocco medical facility have stopped reporting. Fort Nebraska no longer responds. A storm front is mounting. I have a former marine (a guy called Botos) who is turning the population into a revolt. We had to take him to the San Rocco clinic for a gunshot wound. And we are only 12 deputies on Ariarcus. And Yes I have one of the guys you want (from the mugshot it looks like Corporal Reese). He's in cell 4. He spent the night here for public disorderly conduct", (says Marshal Hyams). Biehn gives Ms.Eckford a weird look (about the 7ft monsters). She tells him that she doesn't know. PCs ask to see the AWOL immediately. Deputy Mike Dodd directs Biehn, Corporal Giler, Lance, Ms.Eckford and Tanya to the holding area. Sergeant Matthews remains with Marshal Hyams and the rest of the Alpha section.

The holding area is dark and poorly lit. There are 3 cells on the left side and at the end 3 other cells. They walk towards cell 4. Laying on the cot, AWOL Corporal Reese faces away from the PCs. "Hey sleeper you have visitors", (says deputy Mike Dodd). "There is something wrong", (says Corporal Biehn). The floor is covered with blood. They open the cell door. When PCs turn Reese, his face and hands have been chewed off and there is a horrid hole in his chest with his ribs bent outward. "We have a robert morse beast code here", (says Biehn with his personal communicator). All faces turn white. A bit of slime plops on Corporal Giler's shoulder. In the shadows above, a drone xenomorph flops to the floor. The xenomorph opens its outer jaws and attacks. The inner jaws tear giler's skull like a knife and repel everything out. Everyone is horrified. Tanya, Biehn and Mike Dodd are in the cell. Lance and Ms.Eckford are in the hallway. The xenomorph walks in direction of Mike Dodd. Ms.Eckford screams like a warrior and shoots at the back of the beast with her M41AE2 Heavy pulse rifle. Biehn and Tanya drop to the ground to avoid the bullets. The xenomorph is injured and as it moves, acid blood splashes on Mike Dodd. The beast quickly escapes through a ventilation vent. Sergeant Matthews, Marshal Hyams and the rest of the section rush in the holding area. Mike Dodd is in pain.

"Quickly we need a medical kit. We have to bring him to the San Rocco's emergency. We will take care of that Marshal no problem. This 7ft beast is very dangerous. Make sure you have your M41A rifle at all times", (says Synthetic Lance). "We gonna call Lieutenant Hope. He will send you a marines squad for more protection", (says Corporal Biehn). The group return to the APC. PCs are going to the San Rocco Medical Facility with the injured Mike Dodd. They also bring back the body of Corporal Giler.

San Rocco Medical Facility (District East)

The PCs arrive at San Rocco. It's a small hospital. The front desk is vacant and the comms beeping angrily. An intern (Duncan) is down the corridor and he's noticing the marines who carry deputy Mike Dodd in pain. "Come with me to surgical bay 1. He has acid burns. We'll treat it right away", (says Intern Duncan). The Alpha section waits in the hallway while the Intern Duncan and Synthetic Lance enter the room with injured Mike Dodd.

PCs hear a weird steady tone (like a flatline) from recovery room 2. Biehn, Sergeant Matthews, Ms.Eckford and Tanya enter the room. There are 2 patients. One looks like a drug addict (Rene), he's the flatline and Botos (PCs recognize his face from the Oblivion's videos) with a gunshot wound. A panicking medtech is in here, trying to resuscitate the patient. The tech is calling the doctor in charge but getting no response. Botos tenses up when PCs enter the room. He grabs the medtech as a hostage with a surgical knife. Tanya finds a way to knock him off balance and Corporal Biehn grabs his hand and neutralizes him. "Now we're gonna talk. Otherwise you will spend time in the dungeons of Fort Nebraska. Where are the AWOLs ?", (says Ms.Eckford pressing on his wound at the same time). "Sergeant Wojcik and Corporal Wright were picked up by us. They are offering more than just stolen intelligence. They smuggled bioweapon samples and these samples are inside their bodies. We are holding them in the Insurgent Compound (District North) until the UPP comes (he shows the location of the compound on the p-dat computer map of Ms.Eckford). Private Carvalho is here in the hospital", (says Botos). Biehn handcuffs him to the bed. He won't be able to go anywhere.

The doctor in charge is in Surgical Bay 4. The door is locked but what's going on inside the sterile bay can be seen through the viewing glass wall. A sedated man (Private Carvalho) in a hospital gown lies in the autodoc. The doctor (Litvin) is examining him. Doctor Litvin sees the PCs. "Go away, I'm saving a man here", (says Doctor Litvin). While the PCs get busy talking to the doctor, Carvalho wakes up whispering things that don't make any sense. He becomes hysterical and says he's having chest pain. Everyone's face turns white. Carvalho seems to have lost his mind. He gets agitated. Biehn shoots the lock and opens the door. Rolston picks him up and takes him outside in the snow using a back service door. Rolston pushes him against a wall and everyone steps back 2 meters. The beast bursts off Carvalho's chest, killing him in the process. Corporal Biehn opens fire with his flamethrower, killing the beast on the spot. Everyone is in shock.

Sitting in the Surgical Bay 4, Doctor Litvin tells his story. "Wojcik and Carvalho checked in last night. Wojcik disappeared after her blood tests. I scanned the monster growing in Carvalho's chest and he begged me to remove it without informing the base. Then Wojcik's scans came in. She has in her blood microorganisms that evolved and changed at an alarming rate. I guest she's turning into a monster. You have to find Wojcik and fast", (says Doctor Litvin).

District North-West (The Insurgent compound)

The PCs arrive at the Insurgent compound in the North-West District. It's located in an active residential area and is well fortified. They stay at a certain distance to observe. Windows have metal shutters pulled over them and doors are reinforced. The yard is quiet. The yard's reinforced walls are three meters high. PCs hear gunfire and terrified screams coming from inside the house. The guards in the yard are rushing back to the compound.

At the same time, booms echo above the sky. The result of both bomb blasts and multiple sonic incursions. Nebraska's rail gun cannons begin launching giant spikes into the clouds. USCMC EVAC fighters scream across the sky, firing on descending UPP dropships. War has come to Ariarcus. UPP unleash an orbital bombardment on the colony (incinerating buildings, striking the base and cleaving the Monygham in two). "Alpha team return to the Diablo for immediate evac", (says Lieutenant Hope). The assault is leaving the space elevator untouched (maybe it's too valuable to the UPP). A major blast blows up half Fort Nebraska. It's the ammunition depot. Artillery batteries have stopped firing.

Then, the hairs on the back of each PC's neck tingle as a massive EMP burst from above knocks out most electronics. All electronic items (vehicles, ships and computers) are knocked out. Synthetic Lance suffers a massive shut down and falls to the ground. Blue lighting arcs are coming from the sky. All shooting stops. Dropships from both sides fall out of the sky. One ship crashes very close to the PCs. The APC does not start any more and communications are broken with the Lieutenant Hope. Weapons still work because they have a safety mechanism.

"The EMP detonation came from us (USCMC) I think. It's probably a last moment effort to stop the UPP invasion", (says Sergeant Matthews). "We are on our own. Our orders are to complete the mission. I suggest to find the 2 AWOLs and rally at The Diablo if it can fly or reach the elevator at Fort Nebraska to escape", (says Ms.Eckford). "We need to find a way to communicate with The Diablo. Let's find the 2 AWOLs first. We will see then", (says Corporal Biehn).

PCs find no resistance outside the house. They enter the main building. PCs hear a struggle upstairs, punctuated by occasional gun shots and screams. Suddenly, the body of an insurgent is flung down stairs. He's dead. The main studio's door is ajar. 3 broken bodies lie here. Bullet holes decorate the wall. Sounds of furniture being overturned can be heard upstairs. PCs go up the stairs. There are two doors on the second floor. The first one is the guest bedroom. The room is empty. The second door is the master bedroom. The door is crushed. Only faint light falls through the window. A strange hum is coming from the far corner. There, six bloody corpses are piled like a nest. A strange living being stands in there (it's Sergeant Wojcik). Wolcik stumbles to her feet, staring at the PCs. Her skull bubbles out, elongating. Bones buckle and dislocate under impossibly elastic skin. Wojcik screams from madness to monstrous. No longer human. She's now looking like a 7ft dragon from Robert Morse's book.

"We suck this pendejo, let's rock", (says Private First-class Jenette opening fire on the beast with her smartgun). Rolston is also opening fire. Tanya, Biehn, Ms.Eckford and Sergeant Matthews step back behind Jenette. Ricco and Paxton are on the side. Coles and Winston are outside the room. Synthetic Lance was left downstairs as he was shut down (by the EMP bomb). The beast takes a few bullets. She grips Rolston with great force and throws him out the windows. The beast torns up the smartgun in 2. Ricco and Paxton shoot the beast with their M41A rifle and injure it badly. The weakened beast screams as it leaves the room but it falls lifeless to the ground. Acid blood splashes on Ricco and Paxton but they are not seriously injured.

In a alcove in the fare corner of the room, they find Corporal Wright hand-cuffed to a radiator. They set her free and Wright thanks them. "I now realize it was a mistake to run away. I'll tell you everything. I have a monster in me too and that's Colonel Meyers' fucking fault. We were face-fucked by the things Meyers is growing on sublevel 03 (Fort Nebraska). The doctors gave us a vaccine called 26 draconis strain. It was supposed to kill the things inside. Wojcik said it was shit and she was right. Wojcik wanted to find the insurgents to turn us over to the UPP for medical help", (says Corporal Wright).

They all return to the APC. They bring Rolston's body. Lance is still unconscious. They give Wright a medical scan (medical systems have a safety mechanism). They can see the dead embryo. The injection seems to have worked for Wright. Some street fights are still heard in the colony. Fort Nebraska is on fire but the space elevator is still intact. Communications are cut off with the Diablo. They will have to find a way out of Ariarcus.

Frontier War - Mission 3B Destroyer Of Worlds (Act.2)

A way out

The group picked up all the equipment from the APC and they went in the Insurgent House to rest. Lance was able to reactivate himself and he's trying to communicate with the Mantis El Diablo at the spaceport. He's using the transmitter on the roof. Ms.Eckford, Biehn, Tanya and Sergeant Matthews are on the roof to observe the surroundings.

UPP and USCMC are no longer fighting. They still hear fighting in the streets but it's against xenomorphs. A tide of black beasts is coming from Fort Nebraska. Suddenly a column of flame comes from the Fort like an acetylene torch. It's the emergency venting of the Nebaska's reactor. "We got a problem. How long until it blows?", (says Corporal Biehn). "I'm projecting total systems failure in a little under four hours. The blast radius will be about thirty kilometers. About equal to ten megatons. The overload is inevitable at this point", (says Ms.Eckford). "I don't fucking believe this. We have to find a way out now", (says Tanya).

Lance asks them to come back. He opened a communication link with the Mantis crew and Lieutenant Hope. Corporal Biehn warns the Lieutenant that they have 4 hours before the 10 megatons nuclear explosion of Fort Nebraska's reactor. "We have 3 hours of repairs left to put the Diablo back in shape. Possibly 4 hours to put the Bison HMS Magpie in flight condition. It's gonna be tight. Major Hatfield has established a security perimeter and he's keeping the xenomorphs away. Fel2 and Captain Edie have been able to reunite 300 colonists and are settling them safely in the Magpie. We have another problem. Marshal Hyams and Doctor Litvin have gathered several survivors and they are heading towards the Climber Car at Nebaska. They took the underground maintenance tunnels (under the Colony). They thought they would be safer and without any xenomorphs. We have no means of communication with them. Can you join them and help them", (says Lieutenant Hope). "Yes we will. We can meet then at the Counterweight Station afterwards. Do you know if the station is still in good condition", (says Corporal Biehn). "Affirmative. We are receiving telemetry. On the other hand, no one answers us there. We have not many options. See you there in 4 hours. If we don't have enough time, we'll take the Diablo with everyone. Good luck", (says Lieutenant Hope).

They all gather inside the house. Ms.Eckford pulls out her p-dat computer and says she has all the maps of the colony. "We must act quickly to reach the group. Ariarcus is without energy with the damaged reactor. The climber car has an autonomous energy box but it will be locked by 4 giant clamps. We will have to do a comtech on the energy junction box and use my major-level key tag to open everything. Hyams and Litvin don't have a key tag. We will take the underground maintenance tunnel here (junction DW-7). Then take the DW-3 and DN-3 tunnels to enter the fort. Hyams and Litvin will take DE-5, DN-2 and DN-3. We will join with them at the entrance. I know Nebraska. We will arrive in sub-level 2 in the loading dock 2 room. We can take then the workforce weapons lift platform to go to sub-level 3 (it has an autonomous energy box). And there, we'll have access to the space elevator and save everyone", (says Ms.Eckford).

Safe Heaven

"We have anti-radiation injections left from The Corinth Colony. We will have to take them all before leaving", (says Sergeant Matthews). The group leaves the house (First Jenette, Paxton and Ricco. Then Matthews, Lance, Tanya, Ms.Eckford and Biehn. Last Coles, AWOL Wright and Winston as 2nd squad leader). The snow blizzard is still raging. They're all heading to the DW-7 junction point at the north district bookstore.

While making their way through the colony, the PCs pass the wreckage of a crashed krokodil dropship lying buried in the rubble of the bookstore building it smashed into. Fire smolders in the surrounding rubble. In the dropship, the crew is dead. The crash has also cracked open the main access to the underground maintenance tunnels. They enter. The tunnels are quite narrow. 6 feet high and 3 feet wide. A red light comes from the emergency backups. It's cold and water is flowing down.

After a while, they hear shots from M41a pulse rifles (in the tunnels not too far). A large shadow advances towards them. It's a xenomorph drone. Jenette says "lie down" at the 2 marines behind the beast. She shoots with her smart gun. The beast falls to the ground lifeless. Private Howard and Private Horvitz explain that they were hunting this beast from the fort. They say that a containment protocol was implemented at the base. Colonel Meyers is missing. Chief warrant officer Jaell took command. She left with all the high-ranking marines towards the station Counterweight. They brought with them the bioweapon experiments. The reactor will blow up in 4-5 hours. They left some marines down to save people. The climber car is at sub-level 3 and the clamps are active now (as expected). Howard and Horvitz will be assigned to the 2nd squad under the orders of private first class Winston.

White Flag

Later, they are close to the DN-3 junction and the fort entrance. Suddenly, an UPP android David 7 is approching with his hands up. He speaks calmly. "I'm Major Davydovich. I was in command of the UPP invading forces. I surrender. The UPP forces on the ground have lost contact with their ships. All my soldiers are dead. I consider the Ariarcus colony a loss. Survival is the only priority now and get off this hell moon", (says Major Davydovich). Biehn explains to the major not to do anything stupid. Privates Howard and Horvitz will watch him. They take away his weapons.

Base Sublevel 2

PCs are at the entrance of loading dock 2. Lance gives an anti-radiation injection to privates Howard and Horvitz as well as Major Davydovich. They open the hatch. Horns rage and warning lights flash red. APOLLO reports a repeating message. "Danger, the containment protocol has been implemented. The reactor will self-destruct in 2 hours 30 minutes. Danger, evacuate the base", (says APOLLO). "The level is flooded with strong radiation, we must hurry. I detect movement at sublevel 3. I'm not picking up PDTs. It must be shielded by radiation", (says Private first class Paxton).

The group is moving towards the workforce weapons lift platform. They must go through the showers of Decon-01 but a large hole blocks access to the room. "Looks like a xenomorph died there with a massive acid bleeding", (says Lance). A large hole gives access to the sublevel 3. Sheets have been tied together to make a rope. "Looks like Marshal Hyams' group have been around here", (says Corporal Biehn). Everyone goes down one at a time.

Leaving the moon

They arrive in the Weapons Testing Labs (sublevel 3). It's a large room with work consoles and designer tables. Vending machines for drinks and chocolate bars are in the far side. The group of marshal Hyams are seated there on the ground. They look tired and in bad shape from the radiation. They are about 15 people (Doctor Litvin and Botos are with them). "We don't have the access passes. We are happy to see you", (says Marshal Hyams). "We're going to heal you and give you injections before we open that door. This is the Loading Dock 3 room on the other side. We will have access to the elevator there", (says Ms.Eckford). "It will take us 15 minutes to release the clamps. And we don't know what is behind that door", (says Lance). "We have no choice, we must move forward. Time is running out", (says Corporal Biehn).

Everybody is ready. Marshal Hyams' group will be protected by the 2nd squad. They open the door with the pass. They enter. The walls are covered with resin. The cargo elevator hatch is closed. "I have the impression of entering the house of the beast. It's a bad idea", (says Private Paxton). On the side, there is a cryosleep tube on the floor. The console is broken and the window is shattered. A man is dead inside. It's Colonel Meyers. The bones of his chest are bent outward like they exploded from inside. "Great we have a travel companion", (says Private Jenette).

They open the cargo hatch (level C of the climber car). This is a large six-meter tall cargo bay. A ladder in the back leads to a catwalk and gives access to level B and A. The cargo bay is empty. 2 large hatchs on the ground give access to the central junction box to detach the clamps.

The 2nd squad climbs the ladder with the group of Marshal Hyams to settle in level A (The control deck). Lance, Jenette and Howard open the left panel. Paxton, Ricco and Horvitz open the right panel. They start to work on the clamps. Matthews, Tanya and Biehn inspect the bay. Ms.Eckford and Major Davydovich are chatting. "Danger, the containment protocol has been implemented. The reactor will self-destruct in 60 minutes. Danger, evacuate the base", (says APOLLO).

A drone xenomorph emerges from the crevices in the left panel. He tears Lance's right arm. Jenette and Howard are thrown on the ground. Another drone xenomorph comes out of the right panel. His jaws open horvitz's skull. Paxton sees another xenomorph hiding in the hole. He fires with his M41A rifle. Ricco burns the rest of it with his flamethrower. Biehn, Tanya and Matthews take care of Horvitz's drone and they tear it to pieces. The floor is made of a very strong alloy. It absorbs acid without breaking down. Lance protects Jenette who has lost consciousness. Howard gets his guts cut open by the last drone. Ms.Eckford fires with her M41AE2 Heavy pulse rifle but the drone strikes Howard again (crushed skull). Biehn, Tanya and Matthews kill the last drone. The group is shaken. "Danger, the containment protocol has been implemented. The reactor will self-destruct in 45 minutes. Danger, evacuate the base", (says APOLLO).

Ms.Eckford and Major Davydovich help Jenette and Lance to get to level A. Paxton and Ricco are working on the right clamp. Matthews, Tanya and Biehn take care of the left clamp. Everyone is tired. The clamps are released. Everyone gathers in the control deck. Litvin is able to put Lance's arm in place. Biehn activates the elevator. The climber car goes up. "Danger, the containment protocol has been implemented. The reactor will self-destruct in 30 minutes. Danger, evacuate the base", (says APOLLO).

Tanya opens the shutters to see the colony through the windows. The blizzard calms down. The colony is dead and filled with xenomorphs. The spaceport is visible. They finally see the Mantis El Diablo and the Bison HMS Magpie take off. That's good news. Everyone is resting. After 30 minutes, the climber arrives at The Counterweight Station. It locks in place securely. A huge explosion is heard on the planet and the ascent cable comes off. A light blinds the control room. The Ariarcus colony has just exploded. They all descend to level C (cargo bay). They open the Hatch. The Station is wrecked. People dead on the ground in blood.

This is Game Mother signing OFF (Act.2).
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Fri 26 Nov 2021, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Re: Frontier War - Mission 3B Destroyer Of Worlds (Act.1 & 2)

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 04:28

You can find my stuff and maps here : https://www.deviantart.com/arthurdallas/gallery

Angelman

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 11:04

Oh, nice! I was supposed to run DoW this weekend, but that fell through. Now I'll have more time preparing and using your game report as research. Thanks, _ArthurDallas_ :D
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 16:51

My play report (this game) is one of the best I did I think (you let me know when you read it guys).

There is no black death or anathema in this version, only xenomorphs and a UPP invasion.
I didn't like so much the black death or anathema so they are not there and the story works fine for me without them.

The act.3 will be on the Counterweight Station with the xenomorph nest (we have not played it yet, maps are coming this week or next week). I will let you know guys.

Thanks,

Angelman

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 14:54

I think it's an interesting variation of DoW you're playing. Personally, I would never give up on the Black Death sequence, which I deem one of the most dramatically charged moments I've ever seen in a published RPG scenario; also, I really like Gaska's use of the prequel stuff, which makes for fresh and interesting takes on the franchise, I find. That said, to each their own, and you certainly get a more classical Alien/Colonial Marines story by dropping those things. (Also, you're playing DoW as part of FW, of course, so refraining from including the 26 Draconis Strain story elements in that makes all kinds of sense).

I find it interesting that you use Eckford as the party director NPC from the start. Any thoughts on this? Is it to align DoW more with the style of FW?

I'm also surprised that you put Bolos in the Marshal Station and you leave the Insurgency Compund events virutaly over, with only the bodyburster left to encounter. It feels to me like you're streamlining the story, cuting it down a bit to keep the tempo up, perhaps? Same with the return to Fort Nebraska, which seems to be a pretty quick affair?

I love tweaking and adapting published scenarios, and you've certainly done a lot of work on DoW, mate! :D
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 23:42

Thanks mate. I'm not a big fan of what Ridley has done with Prometheus and Covenant. He's giving too much information. That said, stories are better (more mystic) when you don't get the all picture of it.

I intend to use Ms.Eckford in all next mission of the Frontier War if she stay alive. I like "Carter Burke like" corporate NPC in my group.

I was afraid that the Wojcik's bodyburster was going to kill too much characters so I cut the insurgent assault (anyway I had the UPP invasion + the EMP burst in the same time and it was late). Botos is a very interesting character. Maybe I'm gonna keep him in the group for the next Frontier War.

Yes I'm streamlining the story. Fort Nebraska is supposed to be in fire (ammo depot exploded and all place is in fire). The sense of urgency was giving me the task to go to the point. That's my view of it. And anyway I was planning to do the act.3 on Counterweight Station with all the events planned in DOW (start the reactor + go to mainframe + leave the station with a shuttle or with the Mantis) ...

Thanks so much for the comments. Enjoy your DOW in a few days.

Angelman

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 02:00

I'm looking forward to hearing how the 3rd Act turns out, mate!

Thanks mate. I'm not a big fan of what Ridley has done with Prometheus and Covenant. He's giving too much information. That said, stories are better (more mystic) when you don't get the all picture of it.
Well, Scott doesn't give much information in P & A:C, but more like opening up more questions, but yeah, they are not the most popular movies. That said, I find Gaska did a GREAT job utilizing those story threads and weaving a very interesting tapestry. Gaska took Scott's stuff and elevated it, as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of drama, action, mystery, and exploration to be had there! (And, I can't wait for the completion of the story, in Heart of Darkness).
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".