Pangea
Topic Author

Pushing and Stress Dice

Mon 08 Nov 2021, 09:02

Rules for Pushing when you have rolled a 6 on a Stress die:

From p.60 "Pushing your roll"
This means that you grab all the dice that didn’t show a 6 and roll them again.
So, if I have a 6 on a 'yellow' Stress die, I do not re-roll it (I put it aside along with any 'black' dice with 6's).

From p.61 "Stress Level"
When you push a roll, your STRESS LEVEL immediately increases by one point. Mark this down on your character sheet before you re-roll your dice.
So, I up the Stress by 1 before re-rolling.
When making skill rolls—including the immediate re-roll when pushing—add a number of Stress Dice to your dice pool equal to your current STRESS LEVEL.
So, to add a number of Stress Dice equal to my current Stress Level, for this roll I must also replace the original Stress die I put aside because it had a success, correct?

Example:
I roll:
(5 black dice) 1,3,3,5,5 ( 1 stress die) 6
I decide to push, so I "grab all the dice that didn’t show a 6 and roll them again", meaning I put aside the Stress die and reroll:
(5 black dice) (0 stress dice)
But I up my Stress by 1, from 1 to 2
And, to "add a number of Stress Dice to your dice pool equal to your current STRESS LEVEL", I add 2 Stress dice to my roll (not counting the one I put aside, which I keep to tally the 1 success I got):
(5 black dice) (2 stress dice) is what I reroll-- correct?

I am asking, since I believe all the GMs I have played with do not have people reroll Stress dice that they have "put aside".
In the example above they would only have the person roll 1 Stress die in the re-roll (the one added by the Push).

Wondering what the thoughts on this are?
Playing in France, and online

Angelman

Re: Pushing and Stress Dice

Mon 08 Nov 2021, 13:34

(Sorry, but I don't have the book with me and can't reference, but,) the way my group has been playing it, and which we thought was correct was like this:

You roll your skill test and if you didn't roll a Facehugger you have the option to push the roll.

When pushing, you get to reroll all Attribute & Skill dice that didn't score a success. You also HAVE to role the 1 Stress Die you get from pushing, but it's optional whether you want to reroll the rest of your Stress Dice, giving the players a certain degree of agency. Could be we're playing it wrong, but that's how we've understood the rules.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Lord Drah'Kan

Mon 08 Nov 2021, 13:59

The dice pool is the total of normal dice and stress dice. If you push the roll, you reroll the dice in your pool that are not a succes and pushing adds a stress die to your total pool, not your " reroll" pool.
So if you have a 6 on a stress die, and you push the roll, you add a stress die to your total pool, not to your reroll pool. Adding 2 stress dice to your reroll pool would mean you have 3 stress dice in your total pool with only a stress level of 2. This does not add up.
So pushing a roll adds one stress die, irrelevant whether or not you reroll previous stress dice.

Pangea
Topic Author

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 01:39

@Lord Drah'Kan: thanks for the answer. Dice Pool vs. how many dice you are rolling from that pool make sense!
That is how I've always GMed it, and seen it done as a player. And I'll keep on doing it as so.

@Angelman: I do not believe there is any rule that says that it's optional whether you want to reroll the rest of your Stress Dice. Per the rules you roll all non 6's on a re-roll.
Could be we're playing it wrong - if you all are fine with that rule and are having fun, that's not wrong.
Playing in France, and online

Lord Drah'Kan

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 09:29

@ Angelman: The rules on pushing a roll:
P U S H I N G YO U R R O L L
If you are desperate to succeed with a dice
roll, you can choose to push the roll. This
means that you grab all the dice that didn’t
show a success and roll them again. You get a new
chance to roll .
Usually, you would only push a roll if you
failed it, although you can push your roll
even if you rolled first, to get more to
increase the effect of an attack, for example.
Pushing a roll is not without risk, as it increases
your STRESS LEVEL; more on that below.

It says grab all dice, not just the attribute+skill dice. Offcourse, as a GM you can always choose to adjust rules to fit your playstyle.

Angelman

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 10:10

Yes, it does indeed say that. We played it that way to begin with, but then we stumbled upon/realized the rule that you don't have to roll all stress dice when you push. It is, however, quite possible (perhaps even likely) that we misread/misunderstood something on the fly and that said misunderstanding became a set house rule.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Richard W

Thu 11 Nov 2021, 09:26

I agree with Angelman and Drah'Kan, but I think it is always easier to understand with examples. This is how I have understood this:

EXAMPLE
  • If I roll for ranged combat, with Agility 4 and skill level 2 when at stress level 3, I will roll 6 base dice and 2 stress dice. For argument sake, I get 1 success on base dice and 1 success on stress.
  • To increase damage, I want to push this roll. I take the 4 remaining base dice, the 2 remaining stress dice and then I add 1 more stress die (since pushing increases my stress level).
  • My pushed roll gives me 1 additional success on base dice, but one facehugger on the stress dice so I need to roll for panic.

This also fits the example in the rule book:

EXAMPLE
  • Dina’s character Nat is trying to repair the engines of the Miranda. Nat is already on edge, with a STRESS LEVEL of 2 from discovering the corpse of her fellow crew member Reed. The GM says that the repairs require a HEAVY MACHINERY roll. Nat’s STRENGTH is 5 and her skill level is 3, so she picks up 8 Base Dice. She adds 2 Stress Dice because of her current STRESS LEVEL.
  • Despite rolling 10 dice, none of them come up with a symbol. Fortunately, neither of the two Stress Dice show , so she can push the roll. This increases her STRESS LEVEL to 3, so she rolls 8 Base Dice and 3 Stress Dice. This time two of her Base Dice come up with the symbol, which is more than enough for a success, and none of the Stress Dice show . She made it. This time.

evileeyore

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 21:28

I agree with Angelman and Drah'Kan, but I think it is always easier to understand with examples. This is how I have understood this:

EXAMPLE
  • If I roll for ranged combat, with Agility 4 and skill level 2 when at stress level 3, I will roll 6 base dice and 2 stress dice. For argument sake, I get 1 success on base dice and 1 success on stress.
  • To increase damage, I want to push this roll. I take the 4 remaining base dice, the 2 remaining stress dice and then I add 1 more stress die (since pushing increases my stress level).
  • My pushed roll gives me 1 additional success on base dice, but one facehugger on the stress dice so I need to roll for panic.
Except as per Pushing, you leave aside all Successes, so you only pick up 4 Base Dice and 1 Stress from the rolled pool (leaving the Success as rolled), add 1 Stress, and then roll 6 dice.
So you should have 2 Successes going into your Panic Roll, not 1.
This also fits the example in the rule book:
As the example in the book has no Successes rolled, it really isn't saying what you're saying.

Jehan Menasis

Sun 26 Dec 2021, 14:14

I'm also on the interpretation that you roll all dice, regardless of type when pushing the roll.

Thus, the procedure when pushing the roll would be:

- Increase your stress level by 1
- Grab all dice that don't show a success
- Grab an extra stress dice
- Roll