pfarland
Topic Author

New Players? - Qualify Time at the range

Wed 03 Nov 2021, 22:29

I'm about to run Destroyer of Worlds for a bunch of wet recruits, including a few that are RPG beginners. My idea to show them the rolls including panic, but also to have no ill effect except for maybe some mild ribbing.

The idea is for the PC's to all hit the range to qualify and test out their M41As. Mechanically they will have X targets at various ranges; each round they step up the Panic as targets pop up and down. They will get scored according to a Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert system like the modern military. I was wondering if any of you dice and statistic wizes could come up with some good numbers for me using the PCs from DoW.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

_ArthurDallas_

Re: New Players? - Qualify Time at the range

Thu 04 Nov 2021, 06:17

I'm sorry, I read your text 3-4 times but didn't understand well what you are planning to do or asking (I'm sorry) ...

If you're asking about number of players in the game : 3-4 players is OK. I would give them (1 main character + 1 secondary character) because you need replacements (backups) in Alien RPG. As a Game Mother you should bring lots of NPC for your group.

If you're asking about gunfire stats in reference to DOW characters, I never count the good hits and the bad hits on paper to look into stats after (I'm not the guy for you sorry). I could say that those characters are badass enough.

I'm focusing more on storyline when gaming RPG (try to give a good time-show to players). Not focusing on the number of targets or the range of targets. If you want a suggestion, I would try not to use too much xenomorph at close range to your group (because they are very deadly). And PCs should avoid using too much action-rolls in the game (to avoid stress dice). I suggest you use xenomorph to raise tension (increase the pressure or build the terror).

Enjoy your first game.

Lord Drah'Kan

Thu 04 Nov 2021, 09:33

So you want to give the marines marksman scores on how they are performing at a shooting range?

There are rules for range penalties so I would let them make the rolls, a succes gives 1 point, panicking substracts a point., the more points the marine has at the end of the target practice, the better his marksman rating.

pfarland
Topic Author

Thu 04 Nov 2021, 19:30

So you want to give the marines marksman scores on how they are performing at a shooting range?

There are rules for range penalties so I would let them make the rolls, a success gives 1 point, panicking substracts a point., the more points the marine has at the end of the target practice, the better his marksman rating.
This is along the lines of what I'm looking for. A quick day at the range to introduce the Players to the very basic idea of how to roll the dice and how Panic works without tossing them straight into the mouths of Xeno hell. No muss, no big deal, and no penalties for mistakes and/or bad rolls. Rather than just make it into a dice roll session, the Shooting Range is a way to do that as well as have the players get into character and have a bit of roleplay while rollplaying. I'm just looking for statistics wizard(s) to give me a good base to work with.
I'm sorry, I read your text 3-4 times but didn't understand well what you are planning to do or asking (I'm sorry) ...

<Snip>

I'm focusing more on storyline when gaming RPG (try to give a good time-show to players). Not focusing on the number of targets or the range of targets. If you want a suggestion, I would try not to use too much xenomorph at close range to your group (because they are very deadly). And PCs should avoid using too much action-rolls in the game (to avoid stress dice). I suggest you use xenomorph to raise tension (increase the pressure or build the terror).

Enjoy your first game.
Above should hopefully answer what I am looking for. And yeah, TOTALLY focusing on the story, the xenos are more than deadly enough, I don't want a mass combat/TPK.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 16:58

ya sorry, still don't understand why you want stats for that but that's OK. I understand it's a drill for the players.

Lord Drah'Kan did a great job to answer the question. Enjoy your game man.