A_Veidt
Topic Author

PCs in Destroyer of Worlds

Sat 23 Oct 2021, 15:44

Hi all,

I'm preparing to run Destroyer of Worlds with four players, but Charlie Squad contains seven characters to choose from. This is great, but I wonder if there are any "priority PCs" that wold derive in a more interesting play session.
I was thinking Dante (because of the infection), Silva (because she is the leader), and Chaplain (because he is an android and the double personality quirk).

What are your experiences? Did your players choose or you pre-selected the more interesting characters?

Grimmshade

Re: PCs in Destroyer of Worlds

Sat 23 Oct 2021, 22:25

Definitely Silva, Dante, Chaplain. Mason is another one because of having encountered Xeno's in the past, and also having the detection kit.
I had a 3 player group (plus myself as GM), and had them pick main characters, and then let each run a second character (but without Agenda, and less roleplay for the second character) so that we didn't have half the company sitting in the APC for no reason, and took some of the npc pressure off me.

We just finished our play through. Took 5 sessions and 20+ hours. Everyone had a great time.
Have fun!

Angelman

Sun 24 Oct 2021, 14:50

When I run this, I'll encourage the players to pick the squad characters, leaving the commander and APC crew as NPCs to possibly draw replacement PCs from once things are established. That will allow me to gauge and point-the-way for the players in the beginning, as I control the leader (Silva) and her command team.

Furthermore, since I'll have only two players, I'll let them each run two characters, one fire-team boss and the henchman in the opposing fire-team. So, One player will play Mason (primary) & Hammer (secondary), while the other plays Dante (primary) & Chaplain (secondary). That way, the captain can send the fireteams on different missions/tasks and we'll still have both players taking active roles in both theaters (if that made any sense).
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 25 Oct 2021, 02:31

We are running Destroyer of Worlds in our Marine campaign mission 3B (after mission 3 Operation Quiet Catch)

I'm gonna have some surprise for you guys (give me some time i'm not ready to release them on the devianart yet) ...

A clue ... think about Counterweight Station ...

Angelman

Mon 25 Oct 2021, 10:47

We are running Destroyer of Worlds in our Marine campaign mission 3B (after mission 3 Operation Quiet Catch)

I'm gonna have some surprise for you guys (give me some time i'm not ready to release them on the devianart yet) ...

A clue ... think about Counterweight Station ...
Oh, nice! I'll probably start Destroyer of Worlds in late November, and any & all aids and stuff would be absolutely brilliant :D
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 25 Oct 2021, 17:33

I'm not quite sure yet (decision is not totally made) but I think all act.3 will be on Counterweight Station. I think it's a good idea in a campaign mode.

The Queen wont be in the elevator but the nest will be on Counterweight Station. Colonel Meyers should had brought them there for safety (or not ahahah!).

A_Veidt
Topic Author

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 10:18

After reading the descriptions and agendas of each PCs carefully, I have assigned the assault team (Dante and Hammer) and support team (Mason and Chaplain) to be the first 4 PCs from the squad.
I think they are meant to the chosen first for the following reasons:
- They are all Buddies and Rivals with each other.
- They have the most interesting backgrounds and agendas.
- The remaining squad members are trained (according to the description) as APC driver/operator
- It makes sense that the squad commander remains in the APC with the APC operators as a relay with the field team.

Angelman

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 10:49

After reading the descriptions and agendas of each PCs carefully, I have assigned the assault team (Dante and Hammer) and support team (Mason and Chaplain) to be the first 4 PCs from the squad.
I think they are meant to the chosen first for the following reasons:
- They are all Buddies and Rivals with each other.
- They have the most interesting backgrounds and agendas.
- The remaining squad members are trained (according to the description) as APC driver/operator
- It makes sense that the squad commander remains in the APC with the APC operators as a relay with the field team.
I completely agree. In addition, the APC crew members are both kind'a douchy and reeks of troublesome NPC material. Furthermore, Captain Silva is a very good vehicle for the GM to steer things and move things along. So, the 4 squad members should definitely be the primary PCs.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 04:26

yes a_veidt that's a good selection (Dante + Hammer and Mason + Chaplain)
I would bring all the team out in the field actions (squad + commander + APC crew too) cause you need backup.
sorry we forgot to answer your question in the way.
I would suggest your bring more marines NPC with you (death is coming with your players too).
I'm playing Destroyer of Worlds now with 2 squads and a sergeant + synthetic + advisor (11 characters)
And (if you like) give 2-3 characters to each player. when you have a dead character, it's easyer.
At the end of act.1, we have now 2 dead so be prepared. I like Grimmshade idea of having for each player (1 main character + 1 secondary character with no agenda). Enjoy your game.

Angelman

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 23:45

Funny, completely random anecdote. I just had a short exchange with Gaska on Facebook. Turns out that Zmijewski and his smelly rat-slaying belt shtick was based on his (Gaska's) grandfather back in the 50s. That's amazing :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".