Skillstuntman
Topic Author

Cybernetics?

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 16:32

On page 222 of the core rule book, It mentions Hyderdyne systems a company that specializes in high end synthetics and cybernetic prosthetics. I don't see any cybernetics in the equipment section. So what's the best way to include Cybernetics? Does it make people stronger or faster? or should it simply give them a limb that functions like the one they lost? I'm just curious because it would useful for campaign play if player loses an arm or something like that.

Angelman

Re: Cybernetics?

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 16:44

IIRC, there's a PC in Destroyer of Worlds with a synthetic arm replacement. It doesn't do anything; it's just a prosthesis to repair/restore the lost limb. I can't remember any other information about it, so I assume it registers pain and everything.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

ExileInParadise

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 18:18

On page 222 of the core rule book, It mentions Hyderdyne systems a company that specializes in high end synthetics and cybernetic prosthetics. I don't see any cybernetics in the equipment section. So what's the best way to include Cybernetics? Does it make people stronger or faster? or should it simply give them a limb that functions like the one they lost? I'm just curious because it would useful for campaign play if player loses an arm or something like that.
Given the "cassette futurism" or "retro-tech" setting of ALIEN (big CRTs and switches compared to the flatscreens from 2001: A Space Odyssey):
I'd say the cybernetics are enhanced versions of functional replacements rather than 6 Million Dollar Man "stronger, faster, better" cyberpunk-style - in the mainstream.
So, the cybernetic term is used in more original sense of human-machine communication/interface.

The way I'd offer it is that Hyperdyne builds synthetics and offers repackaged parts of that technology as human interface prosthetics as well.
"Arm crushed by a malfunctioning W-Y airlock door? Get a Hyperdyne 120-A/2 replacement arm kit and Hypercyber(tm) Interface collar and never know what you're missing!"
It's an off-the-shelf synth arm with an adapter to help you use it.
And yes, the horrific tone-deafness of that "ad" was intentional to play to the "Corps don't really care about people" theme.

Now, the fun comes here ... it IS the future ... some people will be "less retro than mainstream"
ALIEN was released at the cusp of the cyberpunk era and has many of the hallmarks such as "Big Corp Is Evil means Crew Expendable"
So, you could easily have a very rare occasion of a body hacker or cybernetics scientist who has done something more extreme.
That way, there's no "mechanics/rules/system" gap to fill and you can make up whatever magic effect they have in peace.
It's a custom one-off, not something the players can reasonably reach for.
Use the cyberpunk style thing as spice or flavor.

Just my thoughts there. It's your world - live in it.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Skillstuntman
Topic Author

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 22:17

Now, the fun comes here ... it IS the future ... some people will be "less retro than mainstream"
ALIEN was released at the cusp of the cyberpunk era and has many of the hallmarks such as "Big Corp Is Evil means Crew Expendable"
So, you could easily have a very rare occasion of a body hacker or cybernetics scientist who has done something more extreme.
That way, there's no "mechanics/res/system" gap to fill and you can make up whatever magic effect they have in peace.
It's a custom one-off, not something the players can reasonably reach for.
Use the cyberpunk style thing as spice or flavor.

Just my thoughts there. It's your world - live in it.

This is a cool idea. I could totally see them fighting a crazy scientist who's now cybernetically enhanced and stronger than them. Giving them a different kind of enemy That's as dangerous as an alien. And then you could say they can't do the same to their own bodies because it will cause them to go crazy