Angelman
Topic Author

Re: CotG, DoW, & FW meta-plot (spoilers)

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 21:07

I hope you are right about HoD, and it's a trip to Draconis to confront the threat there.
Turns out I was! :D

Here's a Gaska quote from September: "Heart of Darkness is the next Cinematic Scenario. This will close out the 26 Draconis Saga trilogy of scenarios."
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Grimmshade

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 22:13

Awesome! I wonder when it's coming.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 13:11

Hey, y'all,
(Warning, this is a bit rambling...)

So, we finished CotG a couple of weeks ago and will take on DoW possibly next month. If anyone's interested, I would like to discuss ways to tie the two plot lines closer together; in particular, the Draconis strain vaccine and all that. I am using my own CotG running results to kick this off, but feel free to discuss these things based on how your own version of the story ran, too.

So, in my running, the players had their hands full with a million things, and they basically let Clayton mostly to herself. As a result, she had no problem sneaking vaccine samples and a black goo urn onboard her EEV behind everybody's backs. There was a tense standoff when she tried to leave with Dr. Flynn, but she escaped while Dr. Flynn and Cham (actually Lucas) were sucked into space. So, in my "house canon", if you will, Clayton got away with stuff and will somehow be the source of the Project Life Force vaccine. The scenario ended with Cham/Lucas and Rye strong-arming their way onboard the Sotillo and eventually struck a deal with the mercenaries. So Clayton, Cham/Lucas, Rye, Adisa Bolaji, Pinion, Helen Bein, and Micky Horton all survived the CotG.

I would like to use some of these characters in a cameo in DoW, possibly as replacement PCs should things go badly. I like the idea of some characters carrying over to better anchor the story for the players. The question then is, what would be good ways of utilizing these guys in DoW? When and where would they organically fit?

The Sotillo crew are mercenaries & Seegson Privateers preying on Weyland-Yutani shipping lines and such, and Ariaricus is a bit out of their way, but perhaps they might have friends at the colony? Seegson contacts to offload loot to? Is there anything in DoW which might fit such a thing? (Perhaps the bar is criminal network safehouse?)

Cham/Lucas & Rye ended CotG hellbent on tracking down Clayton, but that's easier said than done. But still, if Clayton came here (Ariaricus) with her stuff and sold it to Project Life Force, then they might have tracked her somehow. Or perhaps they have heard rumors of a "Draconis vaccine" being used at Ariaricus... but that sounds a bit too convenient.

At the time of writing, I'm of the mind to keep Cham/Lucas & Rye out of DoW, and have them show up at a later date (possibly HoD or FW), to link the surviving Montero crew characters with those stories and overall meta-plot, while having them skipping DoW altogether. Instead, I sort of want to use the Sotillo crew this time since none of those characters have been run by players yet in my game, and they're pretty disposable folk and therefore great as replacement PCs. So, any suggestions as to how to make any of this work would be fantastic :)

(At present, I've just skimmed the DoW book and studied certain sections, so I'm not an expert on the story at all).

Thanks in advance :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 16:21

I know the story a lot (we are at the end of act.1 right now) ... so a few possibility ...

1) Sotillo crew could be sitting dock at the spaceport (pad B) for repairs ... and spend some time at the bar (meeting with the PCs there, they know one of the characters).

2) Sotillo crew could have a deal with Botos to bring back the AWOLs to UPP (with this one they are not with the PCs). It's important that the Mantis is not going to be able to fly (major repairs the Sotillo should be sitting dock). They have to take the elevator at the end.

3) Sotillo crew could have a deal with Ms.Eckford to follow the PCs and be part of the investigation with the marines as a support team (this one is good).

4) Sotillo crew could had followed (as you said Clayton to Ariarcus when she had a deal with Colonel Meyers for the 26 Draconis injections). Clayton could be at the Fort Nebaska in act.2 and act.3 and have some problem leaving the base. She could encounter the group as NPC and try the escape with them (this should bring some tension in the group).

5) Sotillo crew knows Fel2 (manager of the Bar) and they will help Fel2 find a ship for the poor colonists to escape Ariarcus. Maybe the Corvus class ship at the spaceport and they are bringing some key engine's parts to fix the problem. Time is too short so when the war starts (the Sotillo is hit and can't fly), the only way to survive is the elevator.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 19:34

and ...

6) Sotillo crew could have docked at Counterweight Station (major repairs there) and then took a shuttle to Ariarcus to go to the bar. This way they are taking the elevator at the end and come back to the station to take back the Sotillo to escape (this way you keep the Sotillo Mantis ship in your storyline).

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 21:18

Thanks, Cpt. Dallas, these are all great food for thougth.

3) Sotillo crew could have a deal with Ms.Eckford to follow the PCs and be part of the investigation with the marines as a support team (this one is good).
About this one, Ms. Eckford is the Weyland-Yutani lady, right? I really like the idea of the Sotillo crew stalking around and watching the marines for someone else, almost like hired PIs, but the Sotillo folk are Seegson "employees" so I can't quite get it to gell with Ms. Eckford being W-Y. But yeah, I like the idea of having the Sotillos skulk about and being somewhat alligned with the marines' goals, so that they can function as ready replacement PCs once the marines starts biting bullets left and right ;)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:24

Mercenaries (Sotillo crew) are there for one thing = cash.
seegson cash or WY cash it's all the same.

Angelman
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 17:29

Mercenaries (Sotillo crew) are there for one thing = cash.
seegson cash or WY cash it's all the same.
That, of course, is a very good point.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Angelman
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 21:32

Something literally just occurred to me: The Sotillo pilot, Helen Bein... she's a former Colonial Marines combat pilot, dishonerably discharged for nuking the "wrong outpost during the Tientsin Campaign". She might have all kinds of contacts within the CMC, including "well"-meaning officers sympathetic to Bein's decission to nuke said outpost, and she might be hired through back-channels for all manners of black-ops and criminal work... Interesting. There is something here... *stroking chin and furrowing brown*
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

AlienMobius

Sun 31 Oct 2021, 00:10

Just to add to the conversation... Signs of the Cronus being boarded prior to the Montero :

- Pulse Rifle... If I remember, the pulse rifle the Montero crew can find have been created after the initial launch of the Cronus. Therefore, it shouldn't be on board.
- The Junction A-1 Dock is damaged... could be from the creature OR forceful entry by the marines.

Last,
I've personally introduced vague memory of soldier boarding the Cronus into Ada if the player pushes her to reveal what happens between the crew being put in cryo and the arrival of the Montero crew.