Angelman
Topic Author

Homemade (in paint) research base

Wed 25 Aug 2021, 00:11

Hey y'all,

I made a map for my homebrew campaign today and thought I should share it... even though it is kinda shite. As a community, we thrive on play aid content!

Context: This map was made for a experimental physics/solar power research station located on the dark side of a sun-locked Mercury analogue metal planet. It is a W-Y facility, working to develope new solar power harvesting and storage tech to challenge the ISCS high-end power cell monopoly. The facility has an accompanying space station hovering in orbit to collect and redirect power and sunlight (protected in the shadow of a giant shield dish -- think something like the ship in the Sunshine movie). Of course, there is more to the facility than that, and in reality it is a top-secret experimental military grade laser cannon developing and testing site; so far, they have not been able to work around the ENORMOUS power output of firing the weapon (you basically have to have it stationed right by a sun for it to have any kind of operational use), but it is all rather exiting -- the laser cannon dish thingy, which is oddly constructed and looks a bit like a rearing cobra in profil, is called Uraeus, after the fire-spitting cobra head-dress that protects the forehead of Egyptian pharaos. So yeah, it is that kind of place... Here's the map.
Uraeus Base2.png
Uraeus Base2.png (19.31 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

The base is constructed by a series of pre-fact "container" buildings, with "panic room"/bugout-bunkers in the corners (these can withstand strong radiation and nuclear strikes). Darker section indicates a 2nd story level; the Communal/Recreational moduls are placed over a gap in the ground-level construction, making a sort of gateway into the courtyard; the dimentions are 22m x 10m (and probabloy around 6m high); the vehicle garage is basically 4 modules stacked next-to & on top-of one another, and hollowed out into a grand hangar/hall.

Enjoy
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Yuber Okami

Re: Homemade (in paint) research base

Tue 21 Sep 2021, 17:19

Great! Would it be located inside a crater? And how about the spaceport pad etc?

Angelman
Topic Author

Re: Homemade (in paint) research base

Tue 21 Sep 2021, 21:28

Great! Would it be located inside a crater? And how about the spaceport pad etc?
I didn't put it inside a crater since the planet was land-locked ("sun-locked") and the entire dark/back side lies in constant darkness, so there's no particular reason to sit in a crater (that I can identify, at least). I also ruled that the surface was pretty flat, and that you can land a dropship there pretty easily.

As for scale, a dropship is about the length of a standard bunker, while a M577 APC is about as long as a bunker is wide.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged