Angelman
Topic Author

Does a Cheyenne fit in a Bison?

Thu 22 Jul 2021, 20:34

Hey all,

For an upcoming scenario I'm exploring the posibilities of having an Colonial Marines section travel with a 25.2m long UD-4 Cheyenne VTOL Tactical Dropship (carrying a M570 APC) aboard a civilian Model CM-88G Bison, 334m long, with 4x Cargo Bay IVs. So... do anyone with better tech understanding than me see a problem with this? Could a Cheyenne fit within the bison cargo hold?

On a related question, the "rainy" cargo hold on the Nostromo where Brett takes a shower (beneath a Xeno dangling in some chains in the Alien Director's Cut) and where Jonesy is spooked and Lambert eventually killed... does that take place aboard the Bison hauler (i.e. the Nostromo proper) or is it rather somewhere aboard the larger ore refinery they're pulling?

"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

kuroifremen

Re: Does a Cheyenne fit in a Bison?

Thu 22 Jul 2021, 20:41

That área was one of the landing strut's housings.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 22 Jul 2021, 20:46

That área was one of the landing strut's housings.
Really? The area with the dangling chains, random vehicles parked, and life-support canisters stored, that was a housing for the Nostromo's landing struts? That untidy place? One learns something new every day :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

ExileInParadise

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 02:50

in Alien, there are two rooms where Brett chases Jones.

The first room is painted in gold (called the treasure room during filming).
That room has the surface survey vehicles and a small flyer.
It's the first place Brett almost catches Jones, who runs off.
Then Brett finds the shed skin of the alien.

If you look carefully, Jones ran through a partly open door from the treasure room into the landing claw room.

Brett follows him through the partly open door into the landing claw room where the chains, condensation from the engine cooling and such goes on.

So... two rooms ... and at the end of Alien, you can see Parker and Lambert pushing a cart of supplies. thru the treasure room, stopping at the flyer to get some coolant, then back to the corridor, across the corridor and to the smaller locker where they are eventually cornered and killed by the Big Chap.

Now to the question: could you deploy and recover a Cheyenne from something like Nostromo?

Not easily and not without extensive modifications first - the treasure room could be converted into the "crosslock" used to dock and undock a Cheyenne - with support like fuel and parts and stuff tucked around it.

Now... how much would it cost you to get Parker and Brett to make that extensive of a drydock modification?

There's not enough Aspen in the outer rim to cover that...
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 16:03

Hi,

I would say no problem. A Class G-Bison (star freighter) will have more cargo-room than the Class H-Bison (towing vehicule Nostromo type). Look at my deck maps on my deviantart profil, on Deck C, you have to keep Junctions C-1 + C-2 + C-3 in place but Cargo Bay 2 can be expanded X2 (15 meters X 30 meters). You just need to put air scrubbers some where else. So yes you can fit a Cheyenne (Length 25.2m) in cargo bay 2 expanded (15m X 30m) in a Class G-Bison or a Class H-Bison.

You can put in there: 2x 0x Series Heavy Armored Vehicule OR 3-4x ridgeway tank OR 3-4x AD-19 C/D Bearcat Strikeship OR 2x Starcub-class shuttle. A MI-220 Krokodil dropship wont fit in there, you need to expand it a little more.

link: https://www.deviantart.com/arthurdallas ... -875680787

Angelman
Topic Author

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 19:13

Awesome, guys! Thank you so much :)

@ExileInParadise: Yes, you're completely right, of course, Brett (and Jonsey) does pass through a door from the chain room. For whatever reason, my brain didn't take that to mean they were separate chambers, just... a divided compartment. Yup, I'm dumb ;)

@_ArthurDallas_: Great! Thank you! :D The scenario is that some CMs apply pressure to a space trucker team to freight some marines to a different location in the star system. Logistics problems is a major theme in the story, so this is an example of that; the civilians must help out to get marines to where they need to be. (A Conestoga-class ship can only cover so much space on its own).
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

ExileInParadise

Sat 24 Jul 2021, 01:03

I would say no problem. A Class G-Bison (star freighter) will have more cargo-room than the Class H-Bison (towing vehicule Nostromo type). Look at my deck maps on my deviantart profil, on Deck C, you have to keep Junctions C-1 + C-2 + C-3 in place but Cargo Bay 2 can be expanded X2 (15 meters X 30 meters). You just need to put air scrubbers some where else. So yes you can fit a Cheyenne (Length 25.2m) in cargo bay 2 expanded (15m X 30m) in a Class G-Bison or a Class H-Bison.
Much better explanation of the specifics - thanks for jumping in.

Would make an interesting merc / pirate adaptation ...
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Angelman
Topic Author

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 18:46

So, @_ArthurDallas_, just because I'm stupid and needs to be spoonfed everything; is the USCSS Miranda on your diviant art page a Model CM-88G Bison?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".