Angelman
Topic Author

X-drugs

Sat 08 May 2021, 11:39

One of my players is currently playing a Medic character with some intriguing backstory that left her with a "confidential medical report" Signature Item and d6 X-drugs in her possession. I want to make something out of this, to hint at a sub-story where the Medic was chosen to test out some experimental pharmaceuticals for the Company. So, let's come up with some interesting, yet not too complicated (as my stupid brain must be able to remember it on the fly), ideas & rules for what this X-drugs could be. Yes? :)

I'm leaning towards it having something to do with Xenos', so probably some sort of Queen Jelly type extract, but I'm open to other alternatives, too.

What should a Queen Jelly extract X-drug do? Gain +5 Strength and the Overkill talent for a shift, and then suffer pain and depression withdrawal symptoms for a day afterwards? Something like that? (Note, I need the drug to be pretty effective so that the PCs will actually dare try it out in a pinch... my players being cautious and all. Also, the PCs ARE going to fight Xenos at some point, so... an optional edge for them to chose would be good).
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Lord Drah'Kan

Re: X-drugs

Sat 08 May 2021, 12:57

Enhanced reflexes, more actions per round, more hitpoints.

You could make it random, they take the drug, roll to see what the effect is.

Angelman
Topic Author

Sat 08 May 2021, 13:07

Oh, I like that! Sort of like certain Xenos' getting two initiative slots :) I'll go with that + a Strength (and Health) bonus to "tank up" the user, also.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Brian McReynolds

Sat 08 May 2021, 20:13

Royal Jelly might also increase fertility as well, given how many eggs Queens lay.
I know that's not as important to the average player-character, however think of the plotlines involving potential parents who would be willing to try this new 'fertility treatment'. Who knows what effect that it might have on any offspring, or even if they're strictly 'human' anymore.

Bengt Petter

Sun 09 May 2021, 08:04

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Queen Jelly had new, and somewhat more unpredictable effect the longer you use it? The ideas presented above could be effects for first and second time users, while the long time effects might be more powerful and scary? I’m thinking of abilities like telepathy and some kind of strong predator instincts. Perhaps the possibility to interact with others in a hive.

In the end, you might end up with acid blood, and other drastic changes. I imagine that the body smell would change, and probably the ability to digest stuff humans normally don’t eat. A woman might even become a hive queen (a human and/or xeno hive) with the ability to command others and lay eggs, containing bizarre but more or less baby larvae. Giger has presented some possibilties in his art, but you could twist it in other ways too. And, of course, this jelly should be highly addictive. It can’t just be a super drug. Imagine some kind of body horror side effects, likw being killed by your own acid blood...

DeusXLondon

Sun 09 May 2021, 12:55

HI All

I'm loving the Royal Jelly possibilities, but may stick to the simpler combat X-drugs above, as my party are still in Chariot, so it's old 21C tech, not 22C.

Bengt, you could run a multi-generational campaign mega-arc on gen 1,2 & 3 'Improved' Homo Praetor off those ideas right there :)

DX

Angelman
Topic Author

Sat 15 May 2021, 10:15

Hey all,

Here's what this particular X-drug ended up looking like in my campaign (with some comments below).

Description: An experimental biological compound that stimulates adrenaline production, kicks the immune system into high gear, and speeds up neural pathways.
Vector: Injection (ingesting the drug is thought to be effective, too, but this remains largely untested)
Side-effects: Subjects report increased frequency of nightmares, vivid dreams (sometime waken dreams), and religious experiences, often related to a commandeering presence in the dark that simultaneously inspire love and terror*. Physical side-effects are rare, but include stroke, cardiac arrest, coma, and violent mania, and the drug is believed to be highly addictive with depression and hallucinations as major withdrawal symptoms.
[Game Effects: Gain +3 Strength (including Health) for three shifts and also gain one additional Initiative slot (i.e. go twice each round) for one shift. During this time (all 3 shifts) check consumable Supply twice as often. After three shifts, modify Panic Rolls by +1 for three days].**
*My girlfriend commented, quite precisely, that: "so, the side-effect is that you see Giger art; got it!" :lol:
**The gf furthermore commented that there should probably be a stress factor associated with the actual use of the drug, since it boosts adrenaline and makes you... well... stressful. So, there should probably be at least a "gain +1 Stress Level for three shifts", too.

Thoughts? Would this be fun to have in a game?

Since we're playing rather short mini-campaigns here, I'm not afraid of things being over-powered.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Angelman
Topic Author

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 12:21

Hey, all,

My above version of X-drugs were a LOT of fun to play with, but they were also crazy powerful. For our running of DoW, where X-stims feature frequently, I therefore want to try something milder. Feedback is always welcome :)

Ariarcus Colony X-Stims

Vector: Injection
Effect: +1 Stress. When determining Initiative, you draw cards first. Draw one extra Initiative Card and choose one to keep. (Cumulative with Fast Reflexes talent = Draw three cards and choose one). Return the unused Initiative Cards to the deck and shuffle. The remaining combatants then draws Initiative as normal.
Addiction: Very addictive. Once hooked, you need one dose every Shift or, increase Stress by 1 and you cannot naturally recover Stress.
Side effects: Heightened awareness, reflexes, and reactions. Cannot naturally sleep for this and next Shift. Each subsequent dose taken in the same 24 hours runs risk of serious medical issues. (Roll all your Stress Dice, and if you score Facehuggers equal to or greater than your current Health, consult the table below).

Roll D6
1 Muscle cramps. Lose the next Slow Action.
2 Severe spasms. Lose the next Slow and Fast Actions.
3 Muscle tear. Lose one health.
4 Heart Attack. Fatal: Yes.
5 Stroke. Lose Slow and Fast Actions until medical attention is received. Then, roll 2D6 and if the result is equal to or lower than the number of turns (5-10min) that has passed since the stroke occurred, permanent ailments occur (GM decision).
6 Sudden Death. You’re out of it and dies in D6 rounds. If put in an AutoDoc before that, the GM decides what happen (but full recovery is extremely unlikely).
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".