Byrax
Topic Author

Alien Isolation as a cinematic scenario?

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 15:49

Converting the plot from the console game to a cinematic scenario, seems like a no-brainer to me, if the players have not played it.

Anyone tried already?

Easy to do agendas based on characters from the game, even if you write out Amanda Ripley's involvement:
All with various cover ops, there to only collect the recorder, do a legal assessment, security, etc.
1 is after the a specimen for WY (duh!)
2 is from another company, spying/sabotage on WY.
3. One is there to do damage control & cover all traces, once 1 is done...
4. Finalize the take over of the station, implementing special orders.
5. Secure the location of LV 426.

Cut down on the digitial gamey running around opening different areas of course and make it a more sandbox-styled setting, letting the plot unfold that way. Plenty of interaction with charactrs onboard for roleplaying, with skill tasks to restart areas, find logs etc. Dilute down to a couple of key scenes/sets maybe, letting the players square off with limited resources against one deadly alien, testing their skill against various obstacles etc.

Set 15 years after Alien the Nostromo the flight recorder has been located/retrieved by salvage ship Anesidora, and is being held aboard Sevastopol, a Seegson Corporation space station orbiting the gas giant KG-348.

The team travel to Sevastopol, finding that the station is damaged and external communications are offline. They attempt to spacewalk into Sevastopol, but their EVA line is severed by debris, breaking of contact with the ship they came in.

While exploring the station, they find the flight recorder of the Nostromo, but the data has been corrupted. The players will also discover that the station has a single, deadly Alien creature lurking aboard. After run-ins with stressed survivors, looters and the station's Marshal, the plot will unfold. Interrogations of the captain of Anesidora, Henry Marlow. Finding out about that the salvage crew was able to backtrack the Nostromo's path to LV-426 and locate the derelict ship, containing a nest of alien eggs. Marlow's wife was attacked by a Facehugger, and was then brought to Sevastopol for medical treatment, but died after a Chestburster hatched from her.

Perhaps Waits will use the players to try to contain the Alien inside a remote module of the station, and then eject it into space. Although successful, Waits tries to eject the module with the team still inside.

While on the way back through spacewalk to confront Waits, the station's service androids abruptly starts to slaughtering the remaining crew. Attempts to interface with the station's AI, APOLLO, to cease the rampage. Further plots exposes with the find that Seegson had been trying to sell off Sevastopol to Weyland-Yutani, who instructed APOLLO to protect the alien at all costs. Then the findings in the reactor... followed by the released Marlow getting to the hidden Anesidora and the destruction of Sevastopol's orbital stabilisers, causing the station to slowly drift into KG-348's atmosphere. Time to get off site asap!

It would tie in nicely with the setting/lore, by explaining why the Space Jockey beacon stopped transmitting, adding details about WY's schemings, etc. The plot of the game is actually really good! Maybe have a look at the tie-in novel to find the relevant scenes/boxes to use?
Last edited by Byrax on Tue 13 Apr 2021, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

_ArthurDallas_

Re: Alien Isolation as a cinematic scenario?

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 16:31

This is very strange, I had the same idea prep Alien Isolation cinematic game. I'm not done yet but I started this weekend the maps. I'm planning 18 maps for the station 3 towers. I will post them on my deviantart account as soon it's done. I have 2 games to run (act.2 Hope's processor 9 and The Alien (the movie) with lots of story changes) and Alien Isolation (preparing). Thanks for your post, i'm gonna keep some of your ideas.

Alien Isolation maps are gonna be here (soon)
https://www.deviantart.com/arthurdallas/gallery

Byrax
Topic Author

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 17:12

Haha! I was checking if there was something on Reddit as well prior to writing the post, and refound your excellent Outland-scenario, thinking hm that Arthur Dallas would surely be the right one for such a project! Strange!

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 17:48

yep I did look at my old maps for the Outland-senario and those maps need a refit too (another project to do) ... For The Alien Isolation project I will have 18 maps for 3 towers Sevastopol Station. My scale is a 1 km long station (Nostromo X 3) (right scale is 18 km long for Sevastopol Station but it's too much to do and too small for the design). It would help me if you take some time giving me more details about you ideas and ... if you have time ... divide them into 3 acts. We are looking at minimim 2-3 months works but it will come out some day ...

Byrax
Topic Author

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 21:17

Sure, will try. Played the game, and have ordered the art book. I have some ideas on what to include.

Bengt Petter

Wed 14 Apr 2021, 15:07

Well, I’ll add some other ideas, a bit outside the main premise presented here... As a start, I would consider keeping Amanda Ripley in the story. She could be either an NPC or a PC. Maybe some other PC already has a connection to her in some way? Perhaps through some previous mission? Or from a corporate secret file? Ripley might ask for help or she could even be an enemy. The PCs might meet her at some point late in the game - or just from the start. Or they could follow in her footsteps. The scenario would then take place a few minutes (or so) after the events in the original game.

Another interesting question is as usually: who are the PCs really? Are they corporate visitors or a part of the station crew? And if they are visitors, when do they arrive? There is a specific timeline in the both the game and in the tie in-novel, but you don’t have to stick with that. You could start as early as you like. The Sevastopol station is interesting enough even for a longer campaign. Maybe there is something big going on within the Seegson company that isn’t revealed in the game or in the novel? What are their true plans for the station?

The story actually doesn’t have to end where the game ends. It could continue with more people arriving to the site. Perhaps there are a lot stuff - androids and xenomorphs for example - drifting in space after the destruction of the station. It might attract interest in many forms, probably from various corporate representatives. And someone will most likely look for Amanda Ripley and maybe also others (add more NPCs) who survived the destruction of Sevastopol Station. Perhaps a really aggressive crew from WY or some space pirates looking for something or someone with a substantial corporate value...
Last edited by Bengt Petter on Wed 14 Apr 2021, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.

_ArthurDallas_

Wed 14 Apr 2021, 16:21

Right (favorite Brett citation ahah!) you gave me the idea of having all PCs in jail (like in alien 4) for a raison unknown (at this point) and they get free and find there way in the station. We never know, they could meet with Amanda ... that's a good start I think ....