_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Re: USCSS NOSTROMO 3 decks maps here

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 20:57

nice maps. Nostromo has height of 98 meters (if you count a-deck with 20 meters corridors and ventilation ducts + b-deck with 20 meters corridors and ducts + c-deck (cargo 2X) with 40 meters corridors, cargo and ducts) you can't get more than 3 decks to be realistic but we live in a fantasy world don't we ahahah! ... USCSS Anesidora (CM-90S G-Class Corvus) with length 54 meters, you can't have move than 2 decks (a-deck with 12 meters corridors and ducts + b-deck (cargo X1,5) with 18 meters corridors, cargo and ducts) for a total height of 30-35 meters.

FenGiddel

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 06:23

Nice work, _ArthurDallas_. Thanks for the credit/link.

Vader

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 14:33

nice maps. Nostromo has height of 98 meters (if you count a-deck with 20 meters corridors and ventilation ducts + b-deck with 20 meters corridors and ducts + c-deck (cargo 2X) with 40 meters corridors, cargo and ducts) you can't get more than 3 decks to be realistic but we live in a fantasy world don't we ahahah! ... USCSS Anesidora (CM-90S G-Class Corvus) with length 54 meters, you can't have move than 2 decks (a-deck with 12 meters corridors and ducts + b-deck (cargo X1,5) with 18 meters corridors, cargo and ducts) for a total height of 30-35 meters.

Thanks! :)

Got me a bit curious on that one ... I assume you mean two decks take 20m space each vertically, and the third one the double?
In that case, getting only three decks into 98m of course makes perfect sense.

But what I'm curious about is what the 20m vertical space per deck is based on. Assuming the crew space itself takes about 2.5m — what takes up the other 17.5m?

Myself, I've calculated that you should easily be able to fit a deck with a bit over 2m ceiling height into ten-ish meters, with plenty of space for air ducts and other "stuff" between each deck — not least bearing in mind that there is plenty of space between the corridors on any given deck to run those tight little ventilation ducts, ventilation duct junctions, and whatnot. Even those large storage compartments on the lower decks could hardly have ceilings higher than 10m. The landing claw systems — claw stowage compartments and associated machinery — must run pretty much clean through the entire hull, in my mind.

(As a total side note, I've always dismissed the "A, B, and C-Deck" references as simply another artefact from the shooting sets, as mere denominations for the different set layouts. As I haven't found any direct reference in the actual movie to conclusively indicate that a specific deck set is confined to a single platform — the opposite, in fact — I've assumed that a given set layout can depict spaces on a number of different levels. To my eyes, the geometry of e.g. the hyperdrive compartment seems to require it.)
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 17:03

That's my view of it. For a Bison Class, you get deck A = 20 meters vertical (including corridor + ventilation ducts + electrical wires + bulkhead layers) + deck B = 20 meters vertical + deck C = 40 meters vertical for a total of 80 meters. You consider in this hull plating multiple layers and lots of tankage. Corridor and rooms (like the galley in Alien or Med Lab is more 5 meters vertical height then 3 meters I think). Rooms have more space then corridors. I would give the Corvus Class a smaller configuration with deck A = 12 meters vertical (including corridor + ventilation ducts + electrical wires + bulkhead layers) + a cargo deck B = 18 meters vertical. That's my view. Yes you have room for more decks but don't forget about the tankage and hull layers. it's a cargo ship not a cruise liner. But, as I said, that's my vision of it and it's a fantasy world. You do what you want folks.

Vader

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 18:02

That's my view. Yes you have room for more decks but don't forget about the tankage and hull layers. it's a cargo ship not a cruise liner. But, as I said, that's my vision of it and it's a fantasy world. You do what you want folks.

True, to be certain. But discussion on hypotheticals is also part of the fun, I feel... ;)

The tankage is an interesting aspect of it — meaning, specifically, fuel tankage. We had a long discussion on that in the thread I linked to ... I am a firm proponent of the Nostromo having reactionless thrusters, as it seems to me it would be physically impossible to get the ship to work with the rocket equation (the de-orbit, land, lift-off and orbital insertion of a hundred-kiloton ship in a 1g-equivalent gravity field would alone consume more reaction mass than 100% of the hull could hold, even if one assumed a rocket that could accelerate the reaction mass to a significant fraction of light speed).
Ergo, the the thrusters would need only power fed to them. With twin fusion reactors, you'd need remarkably little fuel (i.e. hydrogen) tankage to provide all the power you need, and then some. I further postulate the funnel sticking out at the starboard side of the bow to be a Bussard-type hydrogen collector (measuring it in scale shows it would probably be much too narrow to allow a personnel tube, unless it were only a crawlway, about twice the dimensions of the ventilation duct). Thus the ship can collect interstellar hydrogen, refine it, and replenish some of the consumed hydrogen while travelling, further reducing the tankage requirement.

But since we obviously have artificial gravity anyway, another system that violates Newton's laws doesn't seem like an impossible leap ... probably they're just different applications of the same principle, whatever it may be.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 18:59

True. I was thinking more of cargo tankage (water + other stuff). We have to ask Ron Cobb about it. I just read that he's dead, died at age 83 in september 2020. Jesus We have lost our main engineer folks. He was the designer of The Nostromo + The McFly DeLorean + Star Wars stuffs + Raiders of the Lost Ark stuffs. It's a sade day.

DeusXLondon

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 08:50

Vader, thanks for the crosslink to your awesome 9 deck plans and the deep history lesson of Nostromo's evolution!
Much appreciated, since I was too young for the original, being more SW new hope generation.

I'm with Arthur though on the 3 deck plan for Montero. Certainly I can envisage a timeline where the old model space tugs run with most of their decks in vac and grav plates off, so then LockMart bring out the new model that just deletes those decks, maybe replaces them with crawlspaces only suitable for synthetic crew :>

IMC I'm using my British Interplanetary Soc Journal subscription and dimly remembered astrophysics & aerospace engineering internship to update my campaign ship designs with modern 2021 theoretical engines, cryo, hull, sensors etc. And then modelling in Kerbal Space the bits I enjoy (Nertea's near and far future technologies - https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/in ... -april-16/). E.g. Cronus's main thrusters could be linear Fission Fragment Engines(FFE), with Solitto's the more mil-spec DPBFFE - Dusty Plasma Bed Fission Frag with easier thrust vector - the key phrase that sold the DPBFEE to me was 'unshielded exhaust port' :>

DX

Vader

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 22:04

Vader, thanks for the crosslink to your awesome 9 deck plans and the deep history lesson of Nostromo's evolution!
Much appreciated, since I was too young for the original, being more SW new hope generation.

We aim to please, of course — glad it was of use! :)