euromellows
Topic Author

Combat examples list?

Thu 06 Aug 2020, 15:46

Salve All!

I'm somewhat new to tabletop RPGs in general. I've now played and DM'd some basic D&D 5e, but in all honesty it has been Alien RPG that has truly hooked me. It is a masterpiece and I have really enjoyed GMing some basic scenarios with my family and watching some play-throughs on YouTube. I've GM'd Hadley's Hope and a home-brewed space trucker scenario using the campaign generator in the core book.

I'm slowly getting my confidence up to GM new things, but I must admit I'm a little reluctant/intimidated to GM anything complex. I have read the core book and the rules, but I really find it useful to see actual examples of combat. For example, I'd like to see how the use of an incinerator might play out with burning damage each round, or how PvP might be managed etc. I did find a useful YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3mJDl2osQc) which broke combat down with a basic example, which I did find helpful (especially its ship based one which seems clearer now), but does anyone know if there might exist a comprehensive list of combat examples I could refer to? Alternatively, I'd be grateful if you could recommend a streamed play-through that demonstrates a broad range of examples.

I've been reading the new Destroyer of Worlds scenario and while it looks amazing, I'm concerned I won't have the confidence with the rules to pull it off just yet.

Regards
Euromellows

Edit: If a list doesn't exist, I would be prepared to make one since I personally find it very helpful to learn. However, I would certainly need to defer to the community here to QA check it and make sure I get it right.

Diego

Re: Combat examples list?

Thu 06 Aug 2020, 18:40

How do you mean combat examples?

From a complexity stand point the Alien rpg is much simpler than running D&D combat. In D&D you have all the classes with their features and magic to deal with that can do all kinds of bonkers stuff. By comparison the Alien rpg is much more toned down. Human vs Human is very straight forward as it all plays the same, using the actions listed in the combat section. Human vs Alien can be a little more complicated because then you include all the stuff they can do and their special rules. All told though, one read through the combat section is all you need.

However if you do want to make it more simple and then build up in complexity, you could start by limiting what stunts people can do. Simply use extra 6's for damage and then once you and everyone is proficient with the combat mechanics, then you can include all the extra stunts for counter attacks, grapples, initiative swapping etc
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

euromellows
Topic Author

Fri 07 Aug 2020, 03:02

Thanks for the response. What I meant by an example was showing how combat worked line by line in different scenarios - somewhat like how that video I linked broke it down, but showing different variables like vehicle combat, use of fire, explosive decompression etc.

I like your suggestion on the stunts. You're probably right that it isn't so hard as I'm imagining it: that is probably my inexperience with RPGs and GMing speaking. I might persist in drafting some examples of my own, even as an intellectual exercise, as I personally find it helpful in learning the rules. I'll post any up here for feedback and QA and maybe others will find it helpful too.

One example I noticed was with some streamed playthroughs where they interpreted the rules that when you roll a 1 on stress dice it meant you automatically failed an action. Whereas others have interpreted it doesn't mean automatic failure, but you need to panic roll and that result will determine if you succeed or not. I think my first playthrough I went with the former as well, which was wrong.

Attackmack

Sun 09 Aug 2020, 07:50

I dont know of any examples like that but one suggestion is to try a few rounds of combat out for yourself.
Sit down at a table with 2-3 characters and a scene youve prepared and play out the combat, acting as each of the players as well as the GM.

It sounds weird but take it slow, and try to imagine possible things that might happen and how your players might react and what they might do. It will help you figure out the rules as well as allow you to practice improvsation and "on the fly" solutions to events.

Also, always remember that the rules are there at your discretion. There is no right or wrong way to play an RPG, some want very tactical combat gameplay while others want it more abstract. And either way is fine, the only thing important is that everyone, players and GM, are all aware and clear on how things will play.
For example, ive seen a lot of people express a dislike for how ammo is treated and tracked in Alien and how they have simply replaced that mechanic by simply tracking ammo each time the weapon is fired. Simple and clear, works either way but its important that the players know about it.

Attackmack

Sun 09 Aug 2020, 07:54

One example I noticed was with some streamed playthroughs where they interpreted the rules that when you roll a 1 on stress dice it meant you automatically failed an action. Whereas others have interpreted it doesn't mean automatic failure, but you need to panic roll and that result will determine if you succeed or not. I think my first playthrough I went with the former as well, which was wrong.
There are parts of the rules that could perhaps have been written more clearly but most of them ARE clear if you read through it completely.
The part about Panic for example, is clear how it works if read through in its entirety but for some reason many seem to have skimmed through parts of it and "assumed" how it would work, thus giving many examples of when its misplayed. On the other hand, if you would prefer it played that way you can surely do so but in this case it would severely disadvantage the players. And in this game, I dont think we need more of that :D

Diego

Wed 12 Aug 2020, 02:39

Sorry for the late response, I don't check here as often as I used to since posting seems to have slowed down. If I understand correctly, they are doing that part of the rules wrong. The action is only voided on a panic result of I believe it is 10+ as they are the results that start to impose restrictions on what the character can do (due to standing and screaming or going into a catatonic state).
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

euromellows
Topic Author

Wed 12 Aug 2020, 13:39

Thank you everyone for your responses. It has been helpful.

I have subsequently played through some examples solo to put the rules into action - I feel it did help. I think I will, at some point, write a list of examples and put them up here as I do find that a useful medium to learn from and it is possible someone else might too.

Once again, thanks for the responses and stay safe out there in space.

Attackmack

Wed 12 Aug 2020, 19:09

Thank you everyone for your responses. It has been helpful.

I have subsequently played through some examples solo to put the rules into action - I feel it did help. I think I will, at some point, write a list of examples and put them up here as I do find that a useful medium to learn from and it is possible someone else might too.

Once again, thanks for the responses and stay safe out there in space.
Looking forward to reading the examples :)

Stay safe and healthy!