Erwich
Topic Author

Alien attributes: stamina for decompression rules

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 18:59

Perhaps this has already been posted elsewhere, but I feel that the Xenomorph (and Neomorphs) should have stamina as part of their stat-block for the purposes of the decompression rules.

This necessity came up in play when a bulkhead was breached by a stray bullet. I felt that even a Neomorph might lose a fact action (as per the rules for humans) for a stamina roll or to 'stay on their feet' in general when the air was leaving the compartment. I decided to give them 8 stamina for the purposes of this.

How have other Gms handled this or am I missing something?

Diego

Re: Alien attributes: stamina for decompression rules

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 01:16

Admittedly not got the rulebook to hand, but perhaps it was never given because Xenomorphs and Neomorphs aren't affected by vacuum?
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

sathyr

Sun 26 Jul 2020, 00:55

Admittedly not got the rulebook to hand, but perhaps it was never given because Xenomorphs and Neomorphs aren't affected by vacuum?
I tend to agree, but that's only half of the problem. The other half is that the rules for Explosive Decompression suggest the rapid gust of air leaving the room can push people around and cause them to lose their actions on a failed Stamina roll. Considering we see more than one Xenomorphic sucked out an airlock or otherwise inconvenienced by a sudden vacuum, I'd suspect the rules should reflect that.

Pertinent to the OP question, I think 8 Stamina dice is a good rule of thumb. Put it roughly in line with their Mobility or Observation skills, maybe higher for tougher forms and lower for younger or weaker forms. Ultimately I think you can get away without any dice and adjudicating the scene on a case by case basis, but if you're looking to add some mechanical crunch I don't think you'll break the game this way.

Diego

Mon 03 Aug 2020, 03:17

I tend to agree, but that's only half of the problem. The other half is that the rules for Explosive Decompression suggest the rapid gust of air leaving the room can push people around and cause them to lose their actions on a failed Stamina roll. Considering we see more than one Xenomorphic sucked out an airlock or otherwise inconvenienced by a sudden vacuum, I'd suspect the rules should reflect that.

Pertinent to the OP question, I think 8 Stamina dice is a good rule of thumb. Put it roughly in line with their Mobility or Observation skills, maybe higher for tougher forms and lower for younger or weaker forms. Ultimately I think you can get away without any dice and adjudicating the scene on a case by case basis, but if you're looking to add some mechanical crunch I don't think you'll break the game this way.
*spoilers to the original alien*

True, though not as inconvenienced as one may think gives A) it grabbed the door and would not have gone out without a harpoon in the chest and B) promptly crawled it's way back in via the engine thrusters (or tried to at least). If your going to make them roll you definitely want to make them likely to succeed, 8 sounds about right.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Geekdaddyprime

Tue 08 Sep 2020, 11:25

Why bother even rolling? As GM just have the alien succeed or fail based upon your reading of the situation.