Vader
Topic Author

Guidelines for awarding XP...?

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 17:29

I can't seem to find any in the Core Book...

But that just means we have to come up with our own, of course. The rules tell us that doing just about any character advancement costs 5 XP, so we know that what kind of rate we need to give them out for any given rate of character development we want to see.

So hence my curiosity: all you other GM's out there, who run campaigns in this game -- what kind of house rules or general guidelines do you practice for when to give out XP's?
Before clicking that response button — are you sure you actually read it?

Fenhorn

Re: Guidelines for awarding XP...?

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 17:31

Page 35 'Developing Your Character' has a checklist for xp.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vindictus

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 20:00

5-10XP per session seems about right. You can also give out bonus XP or a story point to the player(s) that roleplayed the best.

I also award an extra 5-10 XP when the players accomplish something major. Like finishing a campaign arc. Defeating a boss. Character milestones. Etc...

As GM im not gonna waste our limited time asking everyone silly questions. Its way too repetitive and time consuming to do that every week.

Diego

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 23:37

I actually like the little questions, gives us something to talk about at the end. I ball park 4xp for our shorter sessions (which are 2 to 3 hours) and 8 for our big all day sessions. Progress has been satisfactory in regards to the players been able to get more skilled and pick up new talents without them becoming stagnant. Admittedly though I wanted a slower rate of character development just because I knew this was going to be a very long campaign.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Vindictus

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 01:53

not sure I like the idea of handing out XP in increments other than 5 though

because with increments other than 5 players end up having leftover xp they cant spend.

it kindve cheapens the XP reward if you have to wait a bunch of sessions to hit a number divisible by 5 to finally spend all your XP

Diego

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 03:03

not sure I like the idea of handing out XP in increments other than 5 though

because with increments other than 5 players end up having leftover xp they cant spend.

it kindve cheapens the XP reward if you have to wait a bunch of sessions to hit a number divisible by 5 to finally spend all your XP
Not sure what to say to that. Many systems don't intrinsically hand out experience that immediately gets a player something and instead requires saving up. I mean it's the fundamental system of D&D. And with 4 and 8 they are getting stuff basically every session. If they have a few xp's left over, hardly makes a difference. It bothers your players to have left over exp on their sheet?
Session 9+ now up

Vindictus

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 11:40

yeah when I ran D&D I didnt award XP either. keeping track of xp was too much of a pain.

instead i used milestones to level up players. they would level up when they accomplished something big. the milestones could either be personal milestones or group milestones.

this is actually something I started doing when I ran the starwars rpg and ive done it in every rpg ive ran ever since. I give the players milestone rewards when they complete scenarios or campaign arcs or when I feel their characters have had an apotheosis of sorts. And I try to work in character side arcs for each of the players that focus solely on their character to help give them those apotheosis moments.

It bothers your players to have left over exp on their sheet?

yes because they cant spend it lol. theres no way to spend less than 5xp in the alien rpg.

I suppose it wouldnt be an issue if you end them on a number divisible by 5 every other session or so (like if you awarded 7xp one session then 8xp another session which comes out to 15xp). But they dont like having a remainder of XP they cant spend that carries over for several whole sessions.

Although Im considering adding certifications as an additional way to spend XP. Players would have to get certifications to use weapons/equipment thats not on their class list. A certification would probably cost 3xp. That would help with that problem by letting them spend XP in smaller increments.

Diego

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 13:19

yes because they cant spend it lol. theres no way to spend less than 5xp in the alien rpg.
How odd, I've never known players have that gripe before. Well, all groups are different and you've just got to roll with it.

For me my players are happy to work towards things, which doesn't mean getting something absolutely every session, and I certainly don't want them advancing that fast. When it was only the day long sessions each month, giving out 8exp was fine, meant they got something every time and sometimes would have enough to get 2 things. But since lockdown we have the long sessions and we have a game every week and there is no way I'm giving out 5xp per session for the shorter sessions, would make the rate of advancement way too fast.
Session 9+ now up

Vindictus

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 14:31

my colonial marines campaign has a high casualty rate lol

the xp rewards need to be consistently higher for that reason

so the rookies that do survive manage to become veterans pretty quickly

in that regard I guess I do things a little differently because my games always have combat in them and even with my house rules combat is super deadly

ive eliminated instant death for the most part except in boss fights. its mostly acid that kills characters so ive reduced the acid damage a little and added acid resistant armors. but theres still a lot of deaths.

Diego

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 16:58

Only had fatalities in cinematic flashbacks, the actual core players have all survived so far. Had one or two people end up broken and at risk of death, including one character who now has a busted kidney.
Session 9+ now up