Vindictus

Re: UD-24 "Wyoming" Heavy Drop Ship Stats

Tue 26 May 2020, 20:51

this thing is massive theres no way it could fit inside a ship like the sulaco lol

Tarakan

Wed 27 May 2020, 14:36

Cool.

I see the Conestoga Class as analogous to the US WW2 APD High Speed Transports - converted destroyers capable of carrying roughly a company of troops and their intrinsic stores, while providing some fire support and AA/ASW protection. A better and more modern example would be the Argentinian ARA Hercules (B-52) a converted Type 42 destroyer.

Heavy equipment like artillery and armour would be transported in larger dedicated vehicle transports (eg Landing Ship Tank) which increased the carrying capacity at the expense of armament and speed.

Vindictus

Thu 28 May 2020, 15:22

You can see the size of the Sulaco's hanger in aliens. A wyoming certainly wouldnt fit.

I believe the conestoga class has two of those hangers. And fully loaded it carries 4 dropships and 8 apcs and upto 90 troops. So its kindve like the combination of a destroyer and a helicopter carrier.

But the colonial marines must have a really large capital ship that carries the Wyoming... although I dont think ive ever seen a reference to them having anything THAT big.

Tarakan

Fri 29 May 2020, 03:55

Depends on how much stock you put in the USCMC Technical Manual.

PP40 - refers to the CS-14 Briareos heavy lift shuttle.

PP76 - Talks about the pending introduction of the UD-24 with a "projected 70,000kg lift capacity."

PP116 - Talks about the Conestoga class staying in service until the introduction of the "new Bouganville class attack transports."

PP133 - USCM Starlift Command lists the major ship classes as Conestoga light assault ships, Henderson Field class transports and the Okinawa class assault carriers.

There are other references to fleet operations, but no specific ship types from memory other than some fighter/attack small craft.