Lamas
Topic Author

Applying Gravity and Atmosphere Rules to the Solar System

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 03:17

Hi all,

After reading the rules on gravity and atmosphere on pages 331 and 333, I started thinking about the rest of the Solar System beyond some of the examples given.

"Worlds with lower than 0.7 G are considered low-gravity worlds while those of 1.3 G or above are classed as high gravity. On both low and high-G worlds, characters will have trouble moving around and get a -2 modification to all AGILITY, CLOSE COMBAT and STAMINA tests. After a period of acclimation, this modification disappears."

Following this guidance, the only places in the Solar System that are high gravity are the Sun and Jupiter and the only other places that aren't low gravity are Neptune, Saturn, Earth, Venus, and Uranus, right? Is there anywhere in the Solar System where the toxic atmosphere rules would come into play instead of the vacuum rules on page 107?

Diego

Re: Applying Gravity and Atmosphere Rules to the Solar System

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 04:00

The atmosphere of venus is outright toxic, but then again if you was stood on venus, especially in the light side, the toxicity of the planet would be the least of your concern.
Last edited by Diego on Wed 15 Apr 2020, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Vindictus

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 06:42

Is there anywhere in the Solar System where the toxic atmosphere rules would come into play instead of the vacuum rules on page 107?

titan for sure and *maybe* europa

on venus youre gonna have bigger problems than the toxic atmosphere. the atmosphere of venus will crush your ship before it can even land.

FiveBlinkNurse

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 14:19

You also don't really need to worry about the particulars of any of the gas giants and ice giants of our system - none of them are places that humans can safely travel to (or specifically, enter and physically explore).
Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are magnificent to behold from far away and the "safety" of space, but all of them are deadly places, as you can see in the links I've attached.

Their moons are another story, but there are particulars of each moon that are hard to cover with the game's rather general rules - such as the hellish surface of Io.

S.M

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 08:48

ConAm should setup a mining outfit there.

Lamas
Topic Author

Fri 17 Apr 2020, 01:23

Con-Am or their equivalent is what I had in mind! And thank you, all. I really appreciate the feedback.