ILKAIN
Topic Author

Synthetics and Vacuums

Fri 28 Feb 2020, 05:55

Do synthetics make stamina checks in a vacuum?  they don't actually need air and they don't have blood to bubble up....

Lukbehindu

Re: Synthetics and Vacuums

Sun 01 Mar 2020, 06:53

Under "Resources", P.111. "They are immune to vacuum, cold and disease." I would vote no to any rolls for synthetics for vacuum damage/stress/death. But that leads me to two questions.
1. Does their body depressurize like a balloon being inflated in space, like a human's would? Total Recall!
2. In any case, I would guess the lack of dying from vacuum would be considered revealing an unknown android and would add a stress! (P.103) But having a friendly flushed out an airlock or depressurized deck from shooting a hole in the hull would add a stress. Two stresses in this situation if player survived?

Can so see a player rolling a panic "freeze" while trying to find a compression suit in a vacuum. What a fantastic way to find the grim reaper...
"Out here in the furthest quadrants of known space--pushing the limits of technology, knowledge, and understanding"
Alien: Out of the Shadows by Tim Lebbon

Konungr

Sun 01 Mar 2020, 10:30

aramis

Mon 02 Mar 2020, 06:37

Under "Resources", P.111. "They are immune to vacuum, cold and disease." I would vote no to any rolls for synthetics for vacuum damage/stress/death. But that leads me to two questions.
1. Does their body depressurize like a balloon being inflated in space, like a human's would? Total Recall!
No, Nor do humans. Total Recall got that wrong. Joe Kittinger's hand was exposed to the near vacuum of 31,300m as he did a space dive, he was exposed for about 1 minute to pressures below 0.05 ATM. His hand did swell... but nothing near "explosion"... and, had he had a wider exposure, the swelling probably would have been much lower, as his BP dropped from capillary distension and leakage. 

Essentially, for total exposure, you get a full body bruise, your hands swell noticeably, as do your feet, and (when your mouth opens) your tongue; your eyes, nose, sinuses, and mouth dry out, and you may have issues with bleeding in the lungs... Worst case? full pressure suit, but the helmet leaks. Blood in the lungs isn't good. Oh, and your onboard CO2 rises, as the lack of oxygen means it can't escape. That alone causes problems. But you don't rupture...

Primate exposure to 80,000 feet was tested; most of the primates survived if repressurization began immediately upon loss of consciousness.

Several NASA astronauts had minor leaks exposing skin to vacuum; Kittinger had it worse than they. 

Now, it's true that a Soyuz mission blew a cork and killed all three aboard... but they were (1) exposed for several minutes, and (2) not found for several more after they landed, and (3) the door couldn't be opened quickly enough had they been within a 30 sec walk of the recovery team.

Ref:
https://books.google.com/books?id=qF8kA ... rs&f=false

https://www.mide.com/air-pressure-at-al ... calculator
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

S.M

Mon 02 Mar 2020, 12:33

I believe Event Horizon did a decent job of portraying decompression with Justin in the airlock.

JonHook

Mon 09 Mar 2020, 16:44

While synthetics can survive in a vacuum, I'd dramatically modify their actions due to their fluid reactions to the cold and vacuum. Thus, an incentive for a synthetic, (even a Working Joe), to wear a vac-suit is for unimpeded operations.
- Jon Hook
Game Designer & Podcaster