Luke Styer
Topic Author

Survival Rate?

Wed 29 Jan 2020, 19:49

For those who have played or GMed, approximately what is the “survival rate” of PCs per scenario? To count as a”survivor,” a PC must begin the scenario as a PC and reach the end alive and playable.

A friend of mine who has GMed three sessions says he’s had 40% per scenario, with only one PC having survived all three.

I haven’t GMed at all yet, and will probably start with a couple Cinematics, but I have thoughts about spinning one of my Cinematic ideas off into Campaign Mode, and I’m curious how much continuity of PCs to expect.

Moderator Action: Moved thread to a more appropriate place.

Diego

Re: [Moved] Survival Rate?

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 01:23

I had 4 players and of them 2 survived to the end.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

aramis

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 07:02

For those who have played or GMed, approximately what is the “survival rate” of PCs per scenario? To count as a”survivor,” a PC must begin the scenario as a PC and reach the end alive and playable.

A friend of mine who has GMed three sessions says he’s had 40% per scenario, with only one PC having survived all three.
When I ran the Chariots, 2 characters total survived, one of them the bot... the post script was him loading a handful of mote pods...

My campaign mode, party 1 is entering session 3 (not weekly). They've had one firefight, and it was a doozy... 
Party 2, was on their 4th and 5th transport missions when a random roll brought the Alien... and I backstoried it... especially since one of my players' character was a former UPP life-extension researcher... And they could have, had they played a bit more mercenary, survived it. But they all were raring for campaign #2.... and they took that bit more mercenary to heart. Round 2 - Mercs. 

I'd expect 9 missions to be the average before the tables give the issue, and about ±3 missions the typical range.  And, if you handle it right, you can make the first one trouser-filling without entirely wiping the walls with the party.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

decanox

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:08

Hi!

Keep in mind the agendas too because they affect (a lot) the survival rate of the scenario.

In my Chariots game, the survival rate was decided by the Weyland-Bionational conflict. Lucas set the selfdestruction process and Wilson was trying to avoid. Wilson failed and both died. In the meanwhile, only one character survived in "Daisy" (Cham). The other two characters died by the attack of neomorphs (Miller and Davis).  

In two of Hadley's Hope game the results were similar.

In the first one, the pilot (I don't remember her name, the traitor) escaped alone, liyng the others (it was like: "go downstairs, I keep here watching") and leaving the party behind (so I suppose they will die sooner or later). Two died consequence of the xenomorphs attacks.

In the second one, the pilot won again but she escaped with the android and the boss. The player misunderstood his agenda and thought that it was enough to escape to a Weyland facility (the character should have to do the dirty work before, killing or leaving behind her supposed buddies).

In campaign I think it depends on the players and the game itself.

In my case, since we are not so many (3 players), I introduced NPCs to "take" the damage. I have to admit that I began my campaign too straight-forward in the xeno question since there are xenomorphs in the first chapter (there won't be in the next ones). So, a NPC, a medic, has already died by xenomorph consequence of an acid stream and two consecutive critical injuries. But anyway I have to say that I am playing in Colonial-Marines mode and I see that armors really save lives, avoiding damage or the final attack.    

Diego

Mon 03 Feb 2020, 01:37

I had 4 players and of them 2 survived to the end.
I should have mentioned that was for CotG. For campaign play we are on session 3 (we do monthly day long sessions) all players so far have survived that, and it has included a pirate boarding they had to repel (lots of gunshots) and in the most recent sessions a fight with people who are crazy with some kind of contagion.
Session 9+ now up

Riggswolfe

Mon 03 Feb 2020, 21:46

I've only had one session so far but I think survival is going to come down to 2 things:

1) How much combat do you have? Combat seems to be pretty brutal in this game so having it as often as you might in other games is going to result in PC death sooner or later.

2) How often, if at all, do the Xenomorphs show up? They're the number one party killers in the book. I'm not planning to introduce the Xenos anytime soon but will tease my players from time to time by having things happen that'll remind them of the movies. For example, next session is going to have them pulled out of hyperspace by a distress call. I know my players are going to think of Alien and I plan to enjoy that but have zero plans for Xenos in the session.

Diego

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 00:26

Unless a xeno is either hindered, injuries or somehow impaired you can pretty much assume someone will die. I mean literally all you have to do is throw a 6 and boom, someone is dead barring an incredibly unlucky throw of the die.
Session 9+ now up

Fumarole

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 21:00

I've only run Chariot of the Gods so far. It took three sessions, with four players starting and a fifth joining for sessions two and three. Two survived for sure with a third one-armed character left behind the Daisy (disabled) without any life support other than her compression suit. I left it vague as to what happened to her (as it's more cinematic that way) but unless the Sotillo would find her (it didn't have a role in the game previously) she will most likely die before being able to repair the Daisy. So I guess that's a 40% success rate for the players, possibly 60% if I am generous.

For those interested, Wilson the company liaison had his head blown off by Miller. Davis, being in reality the android Lucas, gained negative capability aboard the Cronus after sabotaging the ship's reactor and causing its destruction.

Riggswolfe

Thu 06 Feb 2020, 05:50

It's worth noting that Cinematic and Campaign play are vastly different. In Cinematic you're tossed into the meat grinder and it's expected you'll have 1 or 2 survivors at best. Campaign, well, despite being named Alien you better keep the Xenomorphs away for awhile.

Jack Burly

Re: Survival Rate?

Fri 17 Apr 2020, 19:34

I've only played through CoTG but 40% feels like a good estimate for either game mode once xenomorphs are involved. The abominations and neomorphs were rough enough without acidic blood. However, they were merely a distraction.

Admittedly, our group had two survivors, but that was counting the crews of the Montero, Chronus, AND Sotillo. The game mother foolishly allowed a pulse rifle with one grenade loaded into it. One shot from that murdered one player and the entire crew of the Sotillo. Needless to say, the most dangerous thing in Chariots should be the synthetic player. Although, our Wilson did trap our Miller onboard the Montero when it went up. That was a pretty amazing cinematic moment.

At the end of the day, Cham survived (armless) onboard the Daisy. The synth (Rye) escaped the Chronus, before he destroyed it, in a compression suit drifting aimlessly through space. Miller was killed by Wilson. Wilson commited suicide before the ship blew up. Davis (npc) ingested the goo in a desperate bid for a high and died birthing a second neomorph. The crew of the Chronus went mad and were killed in masse by the crew of the Montero. The crew of the Sotillo and Ava (controlled by Miller's player) were killed by the synth and his misbegotten grenade. And the monsters onboard the Chronus, plus one extra neomorph, killed NO ONE.

Just goes to show, man is the greatest monster of all.