Diego

Re: How much do Weyland-Yutani know?

Sat 25 Jan 2020, 16:37

I enjoyed River of pain but thought if anything it made the aliens plot more contrived. So they have the planet, know the ship is on it but still left terraforming occur and when they have the coordinates send wild catters out rather than wetland security.

Yeah sometimes for me I have to imagine WY are like the Roman empire. Decadent and so large no one actually has control, imploding under organised chaos.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

S.M

Sun 26 Jan 2020, 06:59

For example, it's likely the people who were on Ripley's tribunal legitimately didn't know about the Alien but others in the company did. 
Pretty sure the only Company people at the tribunal are Ripley and Burke.  Everyone else is ICC, ECA, insurance etc.

Bengt Petter

Sun 26 Jan 2020, 12:38

Yes, never underestimate a greedy corporate executive when it comes down to securing the exclusive rights to some bioweapons tech. Weyland Yutani might have the entire truth of the Xenomorphs but because everyone wants their cut of the profits the information is massively compartmentalised. Its a fun trope for big evil scifi corporations in that many cases the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  
I agree. But what is really ”the entire truth of the Xenomorphs”? Is it just what we see in the movies or is it something more? Perhaps a lot more? We as fans only have a vague idea of who the Engineers really are, where they came from and what their connection to the xenomorphs really is (yes, I know all that stuff about David, but you can ignore that if you like). I imagine a large, interstellar Lovecraftian mythos of more or less bizarre beings somewhere out there. I don’t think they should ever be fully described (it would kill the mystery), but perhaps hinted through strange artefacts and ruins. Again: it’a up to each individual GM.

So to answer the initial question in this thread in a slightly new way (instead of just commenting the most recent posts, although they are interesting): it seems reasonable that there is a much bigger picture than seen in the movies. It might involve many other expeditions and bizarre encounters. The Company might even have established some kind of contact with the Engineers - or at at least recieved more signals from other locations. You can include whatever you like, even a lot of stuff outside the official canon. Or you can stick to the movies in a very orthodox manner. I personally view canon as something to play around with. Others probably have a more strict approach, which is also fine. But making some kind of decision is probably a good answer to the initial question.

S.M

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 01:12

Humanity had secret contact with the Engineers (when they were still Space Jockeys and called Mala'kak) as detailed in the post-Resurrection Original Sin novel, if you wanted to go that route.
I enjoyed River of pain but thought if anything it made the aliens plot more contrived. So they have the planet, know the ship is on it but still left terraforming occur and when they have the coordinates send wild catters out rather than wetland security.

Yeah sometimes for me I have to imagine WY are like the Roman empire. Decadent and so large no one actually has control, imploding under organised chaos.
I don't believe they did know about the ship.  They knew the Nostromo went missing in that region of space, and an alien lifeform may have been involved, but little else.

Diego

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:29

In Alien they refer to knowing that something is there and that's why the company sent a synth with them. The presence of Ash is confirmation they know something is there and why mother has secret orders.
Session 9+ now up

reseru

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 22:17

The plans I have for my game is quite the opposite of what's been said so far. I've given it a lot of thought and had concluded Weyland-Yutani, as a whole, really doesn't know much of anything.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've seen some of the films, but consider in Alien that while someone gave the Special Order, whoever that was and whatever knowledge they might've had, any plan they had didn't really come to fruition. In the 57 years between this film and Aliens the company seems to have forgotten entirely about the derelict and went ahead and built a colony on the world! Even in this second film you could argue it was all some exploitative, ambitious plan by some company middle-management who hoped to shoot to the top of the career ladder; Burke's not necessarily a representative sample of the whole company, surely. Come Alien 3 and Michael Bishop seems pretty desperate to retrieve Ripley, as if he has no other options left to acquiring the xenomorph; he might be a top office of the company, or his newfound fascination with alien ruins (and whatever you might decide the company knows from the prequels) might actually alienate him from his corporate peers.

Only now is when I think Weyland-Yutani is beginning to catch on to things. They realize the wealth of opportunity squandered on LV-426 (though I plan an interquel cinematic scenario where WY sends a team to salvage any remains of the derelict, though the plan is sabotaged by terrorists and corporate rivals), and they've had a colony explode, a squad of colonial marines go MIA, and have had to shut down a private prison due to rumors from the Space Beast book. Unfortunately for them, Weyland-Yutani is late to the game.

Riggswolfe

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 23:12

It can be explained by the silos we've already discussed. Whoever knew about the Xenomorphs just didn't tell the people who decided it'd be a good planet for a colony. They probably just decided to go with it and have scientists send out wildcatters in hopes they got "lucky". 

For me the biggest issue with the novel is the presence of a Colonial Marines detachment. You'd think the marines in Aliens would A) know that an entire detachment was already there and also out of contact and B) take the mission more seriously because of it.

Still, once again, this can be explained by poor communications. They were simply not given a full briefing of the situation for various reasons.

Bengt Petter

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 23:33

I think reseru made a good a point. I also think that the initial question in this thread is central to the entire franchise. Or at least for creating campaigns. As a GM it’s probably a good thing to know, even though the answer might change while playing.

S.M

Tue 28 Jan 2020, 00:49

In Alien they refer to knowing that something is there and that's why the company sent a synth with them. The presence of Ash is confirmation they know something is there and why mother has secret orders.
They knew about a transmission that warned everyone to stay away.  So they knew at least that there was an alien lifeform there at some point and that there was something dangerous.  Beyond that we don't know.  Ash was given the secret orders; Mother just does what she's told.
 Weyland-Yutani, as a whole, really doesn't know much of anything.
This makes the most sense.  A tiny handful of people in a corporation of millions have some clue about the Aliens.  The people at the top of Weyland-Yutani, don't.  If they did they wouldn't risk something so important to a bunch of truck drivers, and then wait 57 years to exploit it and shoot themselves in the foot by partnering with the government to build a colony.

Diego

Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:48

They knew about a transmission that warned everyone to stay away.  So they knew at least that there was an alien lifeform there at some point and that there was something dangerous.  Beyond that we don't know.  Ash was given the secret orders; Mother just does what she's told.
 Weyland-Yutani, as a whole, really doesn't know much of anything.
This makes the most sense.  A tiny handful of people in a corporation of millions have some clue about the Aliens.  The people at the top of Weyland-Yutani, don't.  If they did they wouldn't risk something so important to a bunch of truck drivers, and then wait 57 years to exploit it and shoot themselves in the foot by partnering with the government to build a colony.
Which is exactly what I said a page back. Factionism must be holding WY back. No way do their actions from the first to second film show cohesion. From knowing something is out there, and subsequently losing a ship confirming it's dangerous, to then not send anyone else out there, until finally finding out what they'd missed and still not sending out a purely WY ship and instead having it investigated by colonists then Colonial marines (along with the original victim).

If A) they know what there then this is gross incompetence, or B) they don't know anywhere near as much as we think, or so fes in the company actually know that word of all this didn't get back to them.
Session 9+ now up