Elder Thingy

Black goo?

Wed 15 Jan 2020, 13:38

I have effectively blocked Prometheus from my mind, so I am not sure what exactly the black stuff does, or how it works? I read in the CoG adventure, that it is handled as an extremely virulent disease when ingested? That's it, you need to swallow it? And what happens then....

Of course, in addition it forms those egg sacks which spread the spores which in turn infect people, and start the neomorph cycle on them.

Gaddeborg

Re: Black goo?

Wed 15 Jan 2020, 21:22

I also think Prometheus and Covenant were killing the mystique of the Xenomorph. However, Free League has done a very good job of getting the black goo from those movies interesting, so I would recommend you to watch them again to pick up ideas. 

SPOILER:

When I first saw the new movies, it seemed as if the black goo was the source of the xenomorph (perhaps that the alien-creature David created in Covenant was the original xenomorph). 

In the xenomorph chapter from Free League, it more seems as if the black goo is a derivate from something the xenomorph queen can produce ("royal jelly"), and that the Engineers was just another bunch of schmucks trying to weaponize the biology of the xenomorph, and killing themselves in the process. 

The creature David creates in Covenant is called a Praetomorph, and would be some sort of reverse engineering of the real Xenomorph. It's not as badass, and more stupid. 

Another annoying thing with Prometheus is that the Engineers are portrayed as the creators of mankind. However, Shaw could be wrong in her assumption that they are (she bases this on similar DNA to humans). In my campaign, the Engineers could be stone age humans picked up by some other Alien species and genetically modified. Also trying to look like the these Aliens (the derelict pilot from Alien I). 

All in all, I think the ideas in the new movies are good for an RPG, at least from this point of view. 

S.M

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 03:19

The stuff found on LV-223 was a genetic accelerant, with its effects evident on Fifield and the tiny worms that became hammerpedes.

The stuff David dumped on the Engineers seemed a little different - or perhaps the manner of exposure had some effect.  As he says it "Either kill(s) them out right or use them... as incubators to spawn a hybrid form" (ie. Neomorphs).  I don't remember what the RPG says about the sacs that emit the motes, but I've always though it was the pathogen interacting with fungi (since it doesn't infect flora).

Elder Thingy

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 10:34

The reason I am asking is for game purposes really, since in CotG the stuff lies open on the laboratory floor, and of course some PC/NPC have the motive to gather those vials with black goo due to mission directives / ambition or whatever. So besides being highly infectious, I'd like to know how it affects when ingested or whatever...

Surely nobody is stupid enough to drink the stuff on purpose (especially the players after having seen Prometheus).

What happens if an a vial breaks? The module warns to be careful with it, but why? Since in Covenant Dave bombed the city with the stuff, surely it must have some very destructive powers, like breaking dna into bits or something? Can it be vaporised into air and then go in to the lungs, and then do it's business?

So to summarise what I am asking is,1) is it dangerous only ingested, and if not what other ways does it work; and 2) whatever happens when you do get it in your system directly?

S.M

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 01:12

Through the lungs or skin I would imagine.  The LV-223 worms may not even have lungs but are swimming in it.  We see what a form of goo does to the Engineer at the start of Prometheus, breaking down and re-writing the DNA.  It was likely doing a similar thing to Fifield and Holloway.

In the Fire & Stone comics one character tries to use the goo to cure his terminal cancer (trying to filter it first) - which is one instance where someone would willingly ingest it.

sathyr

Sat 18 Jan 2020, 14:31

Contact with the black goo is a Sickness roll with Virulence 6. Ingestion of the black goo is a Sickness roll with Virulence 12. So simply coming into contact with it is enough to turn somebody, but swallowing or inhaling it (were it to somehow become aerosolized) is much worse. Likely injecting pure goo would also be a Virulence 12.

COTG SPOILERS

The vaccine in CotG is derived from the black goo, and prevents infection of Neomorphic Motes while running the risk of turning the patient into an Abomination. It's not pure, though, as it's a medical serum, so this is likely why an injection carries with it a Virulence 6 roll instead of the harsher Virulence 12. The serum is limited, however, and the scenario explains that ingesting the pure product is a Virulence 12. Likely this is included in case the players run out of serum (or can't find more) and try to just inject the pure stuff as a substitute.

Diego

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 13:43

(Spoliers)

In covenant we see it get into people (such as by ear) and then force itself like a virus into a cell. So clearly you have to be very careful as any contact with soft tissue might lead to infection. Basically any form of inhalation.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up

Elder Thingy

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 16:16

(Spoliers)

In covenant we see it get into people (such as by ear) and then force itself like a virus into a cell. So clearly you have to be very careful as any contact with soft tissue might lead to infection. Basically any form of inhalation.
But was it black goo there? I seem to recall it was the spores from those egg sacks? What I read about the black stuff in the rulebook, it seems to have very powerful mutagenic powers, either to create, recode and/or destroy... could it be we will have more information in some upcoming sourcebook? That is, if Fox allows anything like that?

Diego

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 17:09

(Spoliers)

But was it black goo there? I seem to recall it was the spores from those egg sacks? What I read about the black stuff in the rulebook, it seems to have very powerful mutagenic powers, either to create, recode and/or destroy... could it be we will have more information in some upcoming sourcebook? That is, if Fox allows anything like that?
If it was, or was just something similar, it tells you how it works or how it might. Certainly enough to let you run CotG
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up

sathyr

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 19:06

The spores were neomorphic motes, from neomorphic egg sacs, both of which are represented in the core book. The black goo is different.
GZIP: Off