cole.hill127

How would The Swarm react to a Xenomorph

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 01:03

And vice versa, would the Xenomorphs mainly ignore the swarm, or would they actively try to destroy it? Each member of the Swarm is obviously too small for impregnation. I'm writing a scenario where the players travel to a planet to find a beacon, said planet was overtaken by Xenomorphs and they're all laying dormant in their hives waiting for victims. I wanted to add The Swarm in as an extra hazard but idk how they'd react to each other. Any thoughts?

decanox

Re: How would The Swarm react to a Xenomorph

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 02:13

I imagine the swarm as a real swarm of social insects but much bigger in size.

With that in mind, if I were a Xenomorph I would flee if a swarm attacks. It's like you throw a big spider inside an ants' nest, the tarantula would finish first disabled in a minute or so and then killed. In fact, we can compare xenomorphs with present social insects: they have no fear, they sacrifice themselves for the colony, they cooperate, they have a huge strength (despite their size in the case of insects) and they only have one purpose. But I think a xenomorph has one important drawback: numbers. One xenomorph against thousands or millions creatures and it can't use pesticides or electricity against them.

I think, however, that a xenomorph has some options if a swarm is small (one zone) but totally surrounded by the swarm (5 squares, with the Xenomorph in the centre) I would flee without doubt.

About the contrary situation, I have already told: swarm won't flee because they don't distinguish between an enemy weak or strong, they attack. A different question is that a xenomorph avoids the swarm with stealth which can be a possibility since the xenomorph is intelligent. 

Riggswolfe

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 07:05

The swarm is basically space locusts. They're concerned with what they can eat. The Xenomorph can't impregnate them. They can't eat the Xeno because of the acid blood and because its exoskeleton is silicon not carbon. So likely you'd see something truly terrifying. A Xenomorph with the swarm crawling on it but not hurting it, much like a beekeeper covered in bees. 

cole.hill127

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 04:49

The swarm is basically space locusts. They're concerned with what they can eat. The Xenomorph can't impregnate them. They can't eat the Xeno because of the acid blood and because its exoskeleton is silicon not carbon. So likely you'd see something truly terrifying. A Xenomorph with the swarm crawling on it but not hurting it, much like a beekeeper covered in bees. 
I think you're right, and that WOULD be terrifying

aramis

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 06:24

But the motes of the neomorphs can...

And so if a neomorph's been making mote pods... the neomorph infected swarm is likely to do something dangerously interesting.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Riggswolfe

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 08:35

And so if a neomorph's been making mote pods... the neomorph infected swarm is likely to do something dangerously interesting.
To be honest I'm not sure there'd be a big difference between the swarm and a neomorph infected swarm. Neomorphs don't have acid blood I don't think. The swarm is already deadly to organics, so becoming part neomorph wouldn't change that.

aramis

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 09:51

To be honest I'm not sure there'd be a big difference between the swarm and a neomorph infected swarm. Neomorphs don't have acid blood I don't think. The swarm is already deadly to organics, so becoming part neomorph wouldn't change that.
Think of the effect thusly: the swarm eats the corpses. The infected swarm instead incapacitates them, and makes monsters rise from them, as the infected bugs get burst once they settle to eat....

it's more about the pace of destruction and the nature of that destruction. It might even disperse the swarm, and simply wait for the bug to find a target, then the bugburster maggot burrows in... maturing then into a more traditional style monster... or a dispersing plague of biters....

It would combine the nastiest bits of both... highly mobile, too small to  fight, too dangerous to not fight, and victims don't die, but go seek help... a target rich environment....
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...
GZIP: Off