decanox
Topic Author

Experience Points

Sun 29 Dec 2019, 14:00

Hi to all...

Yesterday I finished my second campaign session. The first one was short so I didn't give any experience points to players but with the second I followed the experience rules.

I saw that it was easy to end with 4-5 points per player... there are easy questions: to play the session (1 point), a panic roll (1 point), overcome a dangerous event (1 point)...

I don't know but aren't they too easy to answer "yes"?

Keeping in mind that you need 5 points to increase a skill or to buy a talent, maybe in only 2 or 3 sessions players could have 2 talents and 1 increased skill (or 2 increased skills and 1 talent), and maybe a bit overpowered.

I have a question also: the book tells that you have to get a wits roll for the talent, if you don't get the roll the experience is lost? I suppose not...

Fenhorn

Re: Experience Points

Sun 29 Dec 2019, 14:41

In other Year Zero games I have played, the players earn about 3-6 xp per session.

Looking at the experience list in Alien, the 3-6 xp per session will probably be the case in Alien as well. Remember that in campaign play, every session will not be action-packed like Hope's Last Day. But if you want the players to earn xp slower, then be a little more harsh when you rule how much a player must "risk or sacrifice" in order earn the agenda xp or the panic roll xp must involve a panic roll of 10 or more.

... and no, you don't loose xp by failing the Wits-roll, you only loose time.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

decanox
Topic Author

Sun 29 Dec 2019, 14:50

Thanks for your answer...

I forgot to tell that my campaign is focused on colonial marines so it's focused in action. So, that's the reason I have some worries about overpowered players in few sessions.

Anyway, if this is the common way in other games, it's ok. In the other hand, they don't increase attributes (I am thinking in Strength and life points) so characters have the same opportunities to die as they started.  

Fenhorn

Sun 29 Dec 2019, 15:14

A Colonial Marine campaign will be more action oriented ...

In a more action oriented campaign, I can see the players will most of the sessions be getting xp for this:
* Being there.
* Panic Roll.
* Earn money.
Sometimes for this:
* Agenda.
* Buddy.
* Rival.
* Dangerous event.
Rarely for this:
* Discovery.
* Extraordinary action.

This would mean that the players will be getting 3-7 xp per session (4-7 if counting the dangerous event as 'most of the sessions' instead of 'sometimes'). This mean that they will have 5 xp every 1-2 sessions. There are 50ish skill levels to take and 30ish talents and a high chance for getting yourself killed in the process. I think it is ok.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

aramis

Mon 30 Dec 2019, 09:38

In my current campaigns, it's running 3-6 per 3 hour session. Most of them are hitting the rival, but not the buddy. Play is always, panic is most of the sessions, and Rival is most of them most of the time. Right to the edge of invoking the PVP rule. 
The rest? all over the place.  

This session last, when I threw the vorpal bunnies at them, lots of risks for buddies and rivals alike.One character, Mac, the one using the "I lost my family... my shipmates are my new family," was making a heroic stand to let the others get away... but Tobias (the skipper) successfully ordered her to board the EEV. And she decided to obey. Great drama. Lots of stress. lots of great in-character play.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Diego

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 15:17

I do long 8 hour sessions and I can the exp at the end of 8, so that's 4 per session. As my players are very rp driven they do enough cool stuff to get the 8. I worried the exp might be too high, but then we sat and worked out that youd need 300 exp to cap all skills. Which would be 40 sessions, which I'm not worried about.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

OrunII

Thu 23 Jan 2020, 14:47

In other Year Zero games I have played, the players earn about 3-6 xp per session.
This is normal and unfortunately doesn't make for great long-running campaigns where characters seldom die.
There are different ways to get around this, like:
- toning XP gain down dramatically
-increasing the lethality (very Alien'esque)
-giving different rewards
Personally speaking, our group has opted to go with a max of 2-3 XP - per 8 hour session. 
Our Coriolis campaign is running on 2½ years now and half the group is about to hit the soft ceiling for advancing useful Skills and Talents.

Riggswolfe

Fri 24 Jan 2020, 19:51

This is normal and unfortunately doesn't make for great long-running campaigns where characters seldom die.
There are different ways to get around this, like:
- toning XP gain down dramatically
-increasing the lethality (very Alien'esque)
-giving different rewards
Personally speaking, our group has opted to go with a max of 2-3 XP - per 8 hour session. 
Our Coriolis campaign is running on 2½ years now and half the group is about to hit the soft ceiling for advancing useful Skills and Talents.
I'm not sure you need to increase the lethality. Almost any fight could potentially result in a PC death. If you put Xenos in the mix you're almost guranteed to lose one or more PCs. 

Diego

Sat 25 Jan 2020, 16:38

I can echo that combat is incredibly lethal.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

aramis

Sun 26 Jan 2020, 00:24

I can echo that combat is incredibly lethal.
As can I. ESPECIALLY with Xenos.

One PC survived 2 rounds vs a stage 4 XX121...  because it didn't actually attack, but her stress locked her into place so she couldn't get away.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...