The1TrueFredrix

Re: What is a Zone?

Mon 16 Dec 2019, 23:53

And just another point on “turns”. Of course, all the suggested durations are abstractions, and as in many rpgs, they are (in my opinion) a bit too long. But they ARE easy to remember, and easy to scale into narrative. You are right it only takes seconds to move across two zones (in fact it takes just one round). But stealth mode represents a different narrative, as seen in the movies - an individual or team stealthily creeping through spaces, finding their way, looking for things while all the time jumping at every shadow.

But in summary zones are a narrative abstraction to speed up play, not a tactical simulation.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

sathyr

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 00:07

On the items, yes. There are a lot of useful items to be found. And space restrictions did mean we had to combine a number of individual room finds able into one general table. But in play this isn’t a problem. Players don’t trawl the place looking for every single item like a video game, and even if they did they have a limited carrying capacity.
And even if they didn't, it's clear in the scenario that the GM should have xenos start hunting if the players start milling about and feeling too comfortable.
This, the scenario is already well populated with aliens spread throughout the colony, in addition to this event:
"HUNTED: At no point should the PCs feel safe. If they stay for too long in one place or start to get complacent, one or more ACTIVE Drones or Scouts arrive from the nearby hive and start to stalk them. The only way to survive Hope's Last Day is to use the shuttle to escape. "

If the players are really spending that much time looting (which is pretty out of character for the written PCs, let's be real) the GM is supposed to punish them for it. This isn't a problem with how Zones are defined, this is a problem with the players playing like a videogame and the GM not holding them accountable for it.

Gebohq

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 00:21

To be fair, I do think the maps provided for Hope's Last Day and Chariot of the Gods are not the most clear, though in my case, it's largely figuring out which stairs match up to where, not zone boundaries. I understand the desire to have it feel like a map the characters might see, but the map we see the marines use in Aliens, for instance, is absurdly obtuse to figure out as a viewer IMO, which is fine for the movie, and I'm not saying the ones provided in the RPG are anywhere near that level, but I do hope future maps will err even more on clarity over aesthetic presentation -- a direction I think they've already gone into when making some of the proverbial 'day 1' changes to the PDF.

And, in general, I sympathize with sometimes wishing zone boundaries were more clear cut, but I generally don't think that's something the game is failing on its end.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

Sulaco
Topic Author

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 14:48

And, in general, I sympathize with sometimes wishing zone boundaries were more clear cut, but I generally don't think that's something the game is failing on its end.
OH certainly not. 

A lot of this (pretty sure I mentioned before) is the way my brain works.  It does not like abstract stuff.  A lot of my "complaining" is just me trying to wrap my head around this.  Too many board games in my old age where movement is exact, I suppose.   

With everyone's help I am starting to understand.  I think "zones" is a fantastic idea.  Now that I know for sure that it is a room, I can look for something else to complain about.  :lol:

I REALLY appreciate one of the actual writers coming on to answer, too.  It sucks they were limited to word count.  I can see how this would really handcuff you. 

The1TrueFredrix

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 23:57

The word count did suck yes. BUT it meant we got in the core book. Before they realised they had so little room, Chariot of the Gods was meant to go in the core book, even though we had to cut so much out of Last Hopes (the title of the original version) to make a Hopes Last Day, Dave and I think it was worth it to get into the book everyone has  :D
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

sathyr

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 00:25

The word count did suck yes. BUT it meant we got in the core book. Before they realised they had so little room, Chariot of the Gods was meant to go in the core book, even though we had to cut so much out of Last Hopes (the title of the original version) to make a Hopes Last Day, Dave and I think it was worth it to get into the book everyone has  :D
Absolutely! It makes a huge difference for someone trying out a new game to be able to have a "demo" to see how it's supposed to work.