S.M

Re: Stellar type data - real world - near stars

Sat 01 Feb 2020, 11:51

Fria Ligan asked if they could use it; I said yes, then they went to town on it using information from the creative bible and elsewhere.  I think Clara Carija did a lot of it.  For some reason they ditched the Covenant references.

Bengt Petter

Sat 01 Feb 2020, 11:54

What is ”the creative bible” in this case? And who is Clara Clarija?

Strange that the references from Covenant wasn’t included. I wonder why. It’s a part of the franchise, even though it’s a quite bad movie.

S.M

Sun 02 Feb 2020, 08:52

Clara's one of the people listed under Astro Cartography in the credits,

The creative bible is what Fox gives to licensees as a source of reference material listing pretty much every novel, comic and video game going right back to the Alien novelisation.

Riggswolfe

Sun 02 Feb 2020, 10:15

The Covenant references are there. At the very bottom of the map is an arrow pointing down that says Trailward. It lists Sector 87, Origea B and some other stuff as being there. Sector 87 is where Planet 4 was and the Covenant was going towards Origae 6 before it changed course. So, we don't know how much further in that direction it is, but it is referenced as being somewhere a bit off the map. It'd be interesting if they someday give us other maps to add on to expand the universe.

S.M

Mon 03 Feb 2020, 07:35

Must've missed that.

I had Origae 6 about 73 parsecs off the map in a 'north westerly' direction and Planet 4 in the same region as Theta Ursa Majoris.

Bengt Petter

Mon 03 Feb 2020, 08:59

Is there any canon material describing astronomers or telescopes in the Alien universe? It feels kind of off genre, but I think it’s still interesting. Considering the large scale colonizing of planets far from Earth, the knowledge of the universe must be a lot bigger compared to what we know today. In the 2180s, good telescopes are probably important in a both military and financial perspective.

S.M

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 05:52

If a ship can cross 10 parsecs in a few weeks, the need for telescopes becomes less and less.  You can just fly out there and have a closer look.

Bengt Petter

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 07:33

Well, it depends on how good your telescope is (the derelict Pilot seemed to have one, but maybe that was a space canon). But distances will for sure mean something else when spaceships (and probes) can reach that far out. And the astronomers (or AIs) of the 2180s would have a lot of data to process. How big would the known space be?

From a game point of view, it would be cool if there were several and different secret starmaps. Each company (and U. P. P.) would have their own. The map we get in the game is what everybody knows. The various factions have also, I imagine, went looking in at least partly different directions. Knowledge (and maps) is power.

Maybe there could actually be some kind of rules or concept (an equivalent for a project in Mutant Year Zero) for expanding the starmap on your own. A new starsystem is a new level or something like that. Or maybe the project would rather be to explore a previously unknown starsystem.

So, what I’m saying is that the map is not just canon material. It’s also a concept, similar to the Zone maps in Mutant Year Zero, just in a much larger scale. If Fox is picky about expanding the map (they probably are), the map expansions could be made with that disclaimer. And, Fria Ligan, I know you can harvest any ideas from this forum, just don’t forget to mention who gave you the ideas.

Diego

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 13:13

Telescopes largely lose their function once you start travelling faster than light. Sure their useful to count planets and know where stars are, but when even the nearest stars are over 4 years away and others are 1000's away, you may as well just send a ship out as likely something has happened in real time to the system. Though there is an idea for a scenario there, going to a system and finding in the 50k years since our last light based inspection something has occurred.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Bengt Petter

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 14:33

Ok, that makes sense. But my main point was about the starmaps and the corparate exploring of space.