decanox
Topic Author

XX121 Damage on Androids

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 02:02

Hi...

I have not seen any post related to this subject nor anything related on the book (maybe I missed something). So here it's my question:

- How is it adapted the signature attacks from XX121 tables to Synthetics? Many of them are related to Critical Injuries for Humans or infection with humans.

There is something about that on "Chariots of the Gods" since it's said that neomorphs don't attack synthetics. The situation was very different on that scenario since the android is not revealed and he was playing a different role: contrary to the rest of the group, more as an enemy than an ally. But I'm playing Hope's Last Day and the android included as character (Holyroid) is a very different kind of synthetic (he is revealed from the beginning and his agenda involves to help humans openly)... so, if in this scenario the XX121 don't attack androids, Holyroid is almost immortal, except for attacks from humans.
I suppose that XX121 aliens attack androids, we saw it on "Aliens", but as I have said before there are signature attacks difficult to adapt to synthetics. For example: The Final Embrace (Facehugger attack on a 6, page 303) or Drone Attacks on 4, 5, 6 on a die.

So how could I adapt those attacks to the synthetics critical damage table?

Fenhorn

Re: XX121 Damage on Androids

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 03:19

I haven't studied the various signature attacks but I think that the GM have to do some GM discretion here, both regarding what a certain alien will attack and what signature attack that will work against who (re-roll otherwise).

Also, I moved the thread to the GM section to avoid spoilers.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

The1TrueFredrix

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 10:37

Co-host (and co-author for HLD) Dave has some thoughts on this. He will share there tonight (UK time)
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Diego

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 15:54

A single rule to deal with a substitution would be good. Alternatively it should he noted that xenon attacks still deal damage and that raw damage could down your synth.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

EFFEKT Dave

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 21:19

HI, I'm Dave and as Matt said I wrote the xenomorph and extrasolar species stats and attack rules. Thanks for your post: you make some really good points. Here's my take on how this should be played, but obviously this isn't an official addition to the rules, just how, from my point of view, I'd play it.

I'm not aware of any canon that explicitly states whether or not a xenomorph can detect that a Synth isn't a viable host for a Facehugger, but I'm going to rule in my games that they can't detect it until and unless they try (this gave me the idea for a "egg-gathering squad" of Synthetics who deliberately get facehugged in order to capture live eggs from facehuggers....).

As Diego says, Synths take damage in the normal way, so ANY Signature attack that includes an attack roll may damage the Synth, as will an ACID SPLASH.
But, for specific Signature attacks, I'd handle them in the follow ways:

1. Obviously, if the Synth is immune to the effect of an attack (eg, take Stress, make a Panic roll or suffer the effects of Drowning) these are ignored. This includes the Chestbursters "birth display" that otherwise shocks witnesses, causing them to roll for Panic.
2. CAPTURE FOR THE HIVE (Stage IV Attack #5, and Stage V Attack #4) does damage but otherwise has no effect. A xeno that tries once (and pulls its attack to inject venom) won't make that mistake twice, and any further attacks of this type on the same Synth will do maximum damage.
3. FACEHUGGER TAIL GRAPPLE, Attack #4. A roll of 5-6 on the type of tail grapple cannot choke or panic a Synth.
4. FACEHUGGER FINAL EMBRACE, Attack #6. The Facehugger can successfully face hug a Synth as an action, but the Synth is not Broken by it (she may be blinded as it's over her eyes, and it may be impossible to remove without acid damage to the Synth (make an ACID SPLASH attack if it's cut free)  until an egg is laid - the egg cannot survive in a Synth and will die. It could be removed though...).
5. CHESTBURSTER LEG SLASH, Attack #5. The Synth suffers critical injury #2, instead of the listed injury.
6. CHESTBURSTER THROAT BITE, Attack #6. Roll on the Synth crit table. A result of 6 counts and the synth's head is smashed, otherwise apply crit #4, Head Dis-location.
7. HEADBITE Attack #6 for Stages IV, V and VI - Roll on the Synth crit table. A result of 6 counts and the synth's head is smashed, otherwise apply crit #4, Head Dis-location.
8. Other Stage VI Attacks:
BEASTLY BITE #3. Roll 1d6 on the Synth Crit table
CRUSHING BLOW #4. Roll 3 times on the Synth Crit table and apply all results.
TAIL SPIKE #5. The Synth suffers #6 from the Crit table, and is torn in two by the blow (it "does a Bishop").

That all feels about right and narratively satisfying.  Hope that helps!

EFFEKT Dave

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 21:25

Also, I'll take a look at the Extrasolar species and post a similar conversion and comment here a bit later.

Cheers

decanox
Topic Author

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 02:10

Thanks a lot for your answer!

So the general rule is this: apply the effects to the synthetic as far as you can.

I think it's the best solution. 

Thanks again!

Diego

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 02:47

Thanks a lot for your answer!

So the general rule is this: apply the effects to the synthetic as far as you can.

I think it's the best solution. 

Thanks again!
We really can't do any better at the moment :p
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Riggswolfe

Thu 05 Dec 2019, 04:32

Dave really thought this out! I was basically going to go with "If it's a one-hit kill on a human, it's the same on a synth, otherwise, they just take the damage of the attack."

aramis

Thu 05 Dec 2019, 06:37

Dave really thought this out! I was basically going to go with "If it's a one-hit kill on a human, it's the same on a synth, otherwise, they just take the damage of the attack."
The one point I nearly had to use it, my plan was just to use the 10's digit on the Synth chart...
But I like the designer's answer better. Even if it is more work.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...