HamsterOfWrath
Topic Author

Overkill Talent

Mon 04 Nov 2019, 17:26

I'm not quite sure how the Overkill talent and Reloads interact. If you roll a 1 on the Stress Die for a Ranged Combat attempt, you lose a Reload. On the subsequent Panic Roll you roll high enough to trigger Overkill, but now you have an empty clip. Is the character savvy enough to reload, or do they just attempt to kill all enemies with an empty gun? 

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Overkill Talent

Tue 05 Nov 2019, 16:50

There are many ways to kill an enemy. :)

But yes, the wording "you must immediately attack your enemies and you won’t stop until you or all enemies in sight are Broken" can include reloading if you want it to.

Also remember that panic can be triggered in many other ways than rolling a 1 when firing a gun.
Fria Ligan

HamsterOfWrath
Topic Author

Wed 06 Nov 2019, 02:18

There are many ways to kill an enemy. :)

But yes, the wording "you must immediately attack your enemies and you won’t stop until you or all enemies in sight are Broken" can include reloading if you want it to.

Also remember that panic can be triggered in many other ways than rolling a 1 when firing a gun.
Very true!

Thanks for clarifying Tomas, I figured it was something like that but wanted to double check. 

HamsterOfWrath
Topic Author

Wed 06 Nov 2019, 14:23

Sorry to be a pain. :)

If you're under the effects of Overkill due to a panic roll do you get a fresh set of actions for that turn or do you have to wait until your slow/fast actions refresh next turn?

Also I'm assuming is Overkill not subject to the usual rule of the effects of Panic only lasting 1 round?

Fenhorn

Wed 06 Nov 2019, 14:43

If you're under the effects of Overkill due to a panic roll do you get a fresh set of actions for that turn or do you have to wait until your slow/fast actions refresh next turn?

Also I'm assuming is Overkill not subject to the usual rule of the effects of Panic only lasting 1 round?
On p.104 it is stated that "When triggering Overkill, you must immediately attack your enemies and you won't stop until you or all enemies in sight are Broken". So, that's how long Overkill last.

Several Panic results have forced panic actions. Since Overkill replaces the panic result, I would go with the same rule, meaning that you do it as your next action or if the panic result was due to a skill check action, that action is immediately replaced by the Overkill action, even if you rolled a success. This is how I read it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

HamsterOfWrath
Topic Author

Wed 06 Nov 2019, 17:32

On p.104 it is stated that "When triggering Overkill, you must immediately attack your enemies and you won't stop until you or all enemies in sight are Broken". So, that's how long Overkill last.

Several Panic results have forced panic actions. Since Overkill replaces the panic result, I would go with the same rule, meaning that you do it as your next action or if the panic result was due to a skill check action, that action is immediately replaced by the Overkill action, even if you rolled a success. This is how I read it.
Makes sense to me, thanks Fenhorn. 

dmnov

Tue 22 Sep 2020, 15:53

Having read the above I still have a few questions about Overkill.

Let's take an example. If you make a ranged combat and this results in a Panic of 11 or more you can replace the Panic effect with Overkill.

Does the initial Panic still cause you to empty your clip even when triggering Overkill? or are you channelling your nerves into Overkill? ("Instead of panicking in the face of fear, you can turn your fear into aggression and use it as a weapon against your enemy")

Does "you must immediately attack your enemies" mean that you must attack again in the same round or in the next round? If so how many actions do you get? If it is in the same round do you get to chance to reload (assuming the initial panic causes you to empty your clip) or if not then do you have to charge in unarmed?

Does Overkill avoid Permanent Mental Trauma?