hibishop

Re: Chariot Of The Gods changes summary

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 17:00

Changes I made.  And my thoughts as to why.

No Secret Android.  As everyone has Secret Agendas already, there's no need for one character to have a doubly-Secret Agenda.

Playable Characters:
Lucas, Synthetic
(Appropriated Cooper’s avatar.  Cooper wasn't using that face anyway.)
NAME:  Lucas
POSITION:  Android on the USCSS Montero
Character Description:  Considered by the crew to be nothing more than a machine, the male-presenting Lucas is kept offline as part of the commercial freighter's 'break glass' policy, as in:  "In Case of Emergency, Break Glass."  Therefore, his activation would inherently be seen by the crew as a bad omen and met with general disdain.    
As a synthetic, you obviously don't need to wear glasses; you do so to appear less threatening.  Though some might see the gesture as you mocking human inferiority. 
STRENGTH 5, AGILITY 6, WITS 5, EMPATHY 4
SKILLS:  Mobility 1 (AGI), Observation 2 (WIT), Comtech 3 (WIT), Manipulation 1 (EMP), Medical Aid 3 (EMP)
HEALTH:  5
STRESS:  N/A
GEAR: None
BUDDY: –
RIVAL: –
Talent:  Analyze.  Increases/decreases Stress for everyone else = perfect.  Cooper wasn't using that Talent anyway.  

Johns
Gear:  M4A3 Service Pistol (1 reload), Personal data tablet with Captain’s Log (Signature item).  Johns can acquire information (PARTIAL TRUTHS) from the former Captain's tablet.  
No key card.  Conscious effort to limit available resources.
Talent:  Compassion.  Better fits his personality/Agenda.  

Reid
Gear:  Armat Model 37A2 12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun (Signature item)

Flynn
Gear:  Personal Medkit (single-use); Surgical Kit (Signature item).  The Signature item needed to be something that can be used more than once.
Talent:  Beneath Notice.  Better fits his personality/Agenda.

Cooper
Gear:  Personal data tablet with Chief Science Officer’s Log.  By looting Cooper, anyone can acquire information (YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH) from his tablet.  Cooper wasn't using that tablet anyway.  

Clayton
Character Description:  While cool on the surface, Clayton is seething with rage over a life lost in cryosleep.  Meanwhile, she recognizes the importance of keeping safe Cooper and/or Flynn, as they have invaluable information and experience regarding the scientific teams experiments on LV-1113.  One thing is for sure:  Weyland-Yutani is going to owe her big time.  Pointed out to me by a player, Clayton's current character description reveals to much of the story/her Agenda.
Gear:  M4A3 Service Pistol (2 reloads); Access keycard (Signature item)

Note:  I specified Signature items for the Cronus crew members.  I also created some custom Act II Agendas for the Cronus crew members, as needed.

No Ava.  Since Lucas is present from the beginning, no need for two androids.  Much of the exposition she provides is available via the Personal data tablets.

No Sotillo.

Gear:
The following pieces of gear are available on the Montero at the start of the scenario. The PCs must decide on how best to distribute the gear before heading to the CronusPower Loader reappropriated to the Cronus.
  • 1 x M314 Motion Tracker (Power Supply 5)
  • 1 x Cutting Torch (Power Supply 5)
  • 1 x M4A3 Service Pistol (1 reload)
  • 1 x Watatsumi DV-303 Bolt Gun (4 shots)
  • 1 x SpaceSub ASSO-400 Harpoon Grappling Gun
  • 1 x M240 Incinerator Unit (2 reloads)
  • 5 x IRC Mk.50 Compression Suit (starting Air Supply 5 in each)

The following pieces of gear are available on the Cronus at the start of the Act II.  Before use, the PCs must first locate the gear scattered across the four decks.  Accounts for gear listed for player characters.  Conscious effort to limit available resources. 
  •  2 x M4A3 Service Pistol (3 reloads)
  • 2 x Armat Model 37A2 12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun (4 reloads)
  • 1 x Armat M41A Pulse Rifle (1 reload)
  • 3 x IRC Mk.50 Compression Suit (starting Air Supply 5 in each)
  • 1 x P-5000 Power Loader
  • 3 x Personal Medkit (single-use each)
  • 1 x Surgical Kit

hibishop

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 16:41

For Gear, I compiled screen captures of just the gear used in the scenario, and fit it all onto one handout to give to my players.  Why oh why does the Vision Devices table on page 95 have a different background than all other Gear tables?  The obsessive compulsive perfectionist in me wants to know.    

P.S.  The Vision Devices table on page 95 would also benefit by having a Power Supply column.

hibishop

Thu 05 Sep 2019, 16:17

For my third play-through, I crafted various tidbits of information into Cronus entry logs for the players to find with successful Comtech checks. These are clues to drive the mystery/story elements that never quite reveal themselves naturally during game-play.  Mostly, I sliced apart the "What the Hell Happened to the Cronus" text on page 107 into multiple Captain's Logs, Chief Science Officer's Logs, and a Special Order 966 - Supplemental communique.

Riggswolfe

Thu 05 Sep 2019, 17:29

I'm not sure I agree with some of these changes. I'll give my reasoning.

No secret android - I think that is included specifically because it's a trope in the Alien universe. It also ups the paranoia factor when it eventually comes to light. Played well it can be a brilliant thing. I think the game is missing a lot if it is kept out. Likewise, I think Ava is needed to be the Bishop to Lucas's Ash.

The signature items: You've made them useful items. My impression is signature items are small items that are kept in a pocket that have no in-game function beyond being signature items. I'd suggest something similar to the following:

Reid: Dog tags. Either hers or a fallen team members.
Flynn: An empty vial. Perhaps it was used while working on the serum.
Clayton: Her company ID. Her personality revolves around WY. Note this ID has no use on the ship but for her it is a symbol of all she strives for.

hibishop

Thu 05 Sep 2019, 17:44

The signature items: You've made them useful items. My impression is signature items are small items that are kept in a pocket that have no in-game function beyond being signature items. I'd suggest something similar to the following:

Reid: Dog tags. Either hers or a fallen team members.
Flynn: An empty vial. Perhaps it was used while working on the serum.
Clayton: Her company ID. Her personality revolves around WY. Note this ID has no use on the ship but for her it is a symbol of all she strives for.
I was just using what the Cronus characters already had listed as gear in the scenario, but you make a good point with the signature items, and I like your examples. 

Praesolus

Fri 08 Nov 2019, 08:20

I must admit that I would, in a similar situation, assume strength is equal to health
Which is now how I intend on handling such situations. Thanks!