pyrrhus55
Topic Author

Non XX121 Xenomorph Abilities

Tue 05 Jan 2021, 16:38

Hi all,  A hopefully quick question from a noob GM.

I am going to run the Chariot of the Gods scenario with some friends and really looking forward to it. 

In the Corebook it states that the Xenomorph XX121 is resistant to Vacuum, Falling, Immune to cold and is the perfect organism in a variety of other ways (so much so I’d say it is a privilege for any PC to facilitate the creation of more of these beauties, but I digress). 

It does not list these same abilities against the Neomorph however, or to Xenomorphs generally where it discusses speed etc. So is that to say, a Neomorph is (should be) effected by falling, cold, vacuum etc? I suspect the answer may be, you are the GM its up to you, but I wonder what other GMs do. 

Similarly, it doesn’t list any of these nice abilities in the CotG book on Abominations, however it does state that there is an Abomination on the outer hull, which I take to mean outside the ship, exposed to vacuum. So… confused as to which abilities should apply where and at what stage during the transformation process. Or should the Abomination be getting some sort of Malus for being in a vacuum all that time. I suppose it is silly to say, but it must be a bit hungry after 70 odd years stuck outside, perhaps it doesn't need to eat.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

sathyr

Re: Non XX121 Xenomorph Abilities

Mon 11 Jan 2021, 23:34

By the rules as written, you are correct: the book does not grant Neomorphs immunity to cold, vacuum, etc. I would interpret this as intentional.
Abominations aren't given these traits either, as you state, but given the context of the scenario... they have existed on the exterior of the hull for several years, and all of the interior ones would have been freezing cold and very likely exposed to vacuum as well, as the ship doesn't seem to have atmosphere until the life support kicks back on. One of them has existed in hibernation in the reactor (exposed to radiation) for about the same amount of time, and even if you assume that the reactor isn't irradiated until it comes back online... it likely would have been, back when the Abomination first built his nest there. So with all of that in mind I feel the intent is to treat Abominations as immune to cold, vacuum, and radiation, at least in the context of this scenario.

pyrrhus55
Topic Author

Re: Non XX121 Xenomorph Abilities

Tue 19 Jan 2021, 09:06

Thanks Sathyr, response much appreciated.

P