repKyle95
Topic Author

Idea for a campaign, could use some help fleshing out

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 00:22

Hello all!

I'm a new member here, but I am a very enthusiastic Alien fan and am so glad there is finally an RPG set in one of my favorite settings! I'm not particularly experienced with playing RPGs (have played D&D 5e, Rogue Trader, and Only War), and have never GM'ed, but from what I've seen I feel I would love to GM games in this setting. However, I'll admit that while I have written stories before, I would really want some inspiration for things like character types/personalities, and just helping to flesh out from a general idea into something that could be an actual full scenario.

The core concept is this:

The PCs have all won free tickets on a luxury space cruise, all expenses paid. However, it turns out the cruise is actually a front for the Church of Immaculate Incubation, who plan on impregnating their guests while on the ship, and letting them off at their stops none the wiser, so they may spread their "gift." I think the idea could be really fun if played right, but I need a lot more details, such as breaking the structure into 3 Acts, figuring out how the PCs can determine what is going on without just flashing it in front of their faces, and possibly figuring out a system for improvising weapons since a cruise would not allow firearms aboard (nor would any staff have a reason to carry any), and I believe players should always have at least SOME way of getting tools to defend themselves

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas for how I might approach developing this idea, or any inspiration, please let me know!

Byrax

Re: Idea for a campaign, could use some help fleshing out

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 10:36

I would probably not use the cruise as front, more plausible to instead have CII infiltrate crucial positions of the cruiser with the same purpose. Perhaps some inspo for three acts can be found in Coriolis "Last Voyage of the Ghazali". About a space ship that has an outbreak of something... :)

I wouldnt worry about keeping the players without weapons - they will soon enough have improvised an arsenal...

repKyle95
Topic Author

Sat 19 Sep 2020, 01:03

I like that idea. The only problem is that I then have to create characters who have enough wealth to afford cruise tickets. I would also need to figure out a lot of details - I don't mind inspiration from other stories but I don't like lifting entire major plotlines/details.

The problems I can see with CII infiltrating the cruise is that it requires a lot of explanation and handwaving to explain how they managed to get eggs or whatever onto the ship in the first place. While they could just be pre-implanted and have facehuggers burst from them early on, that really diminishes the possibility for having a slow buildup in the first act.

Regardless, I'd need a really detailed schematic of exactly how things would progress so I could build up everything around it. I just don't know exactly where to start.

Fragpuss

Sat 19 Sep 2020, 12:50

Regarding bringing the means of infecting he passengers aboard - if you accept Dr Marsalis theory on page 302 of the core book then it's not ludicrous to suggest that the CII may have obtained a sample of the bacterium, which would be trivially easy to smuggle aboard.

In terms of structure, Last Voyage of the Ghazali is nicely paced. 'The Dying Ship', another Coriolis adventure might give some inspiration too. I'd also suggest the Spirit of '77 adventure 'Cruise Ship of the Damned' and its sequel as well.

A few ideas:

Act I: the PCs come aboard, meet a few interesting NPCs and have some laughs. The act ends with a sudden emergency (fight, fire, micro-meteorite strike, etc.) critically injuring several people and sending them to the sickbay (the ship's doctor, a cultist, impregnates them with the bacteria)

Act II: dealing with the emergency, as things settle down towards the end of the act, the chestburster makes its appearance

Act III: the Xenomorph picks off a few people and begun to construct a hive. The cultists interfere with attempts to track it down, once they've been dealt with the PCs have to find a way to destroy the hive - maybe overload the engines and get everyone to the lifeboats (maybe there aren't enough for everyone, as some were lost in the earlier emergency, or the cultists stuck a few infected people in them and fired them at the nearest planet...)

Hmmm... in fact that's starting to shape up nicely, needs work, but I might do something with that myself.

Good luck