Lukbehindu

Cash, Credit & Stock

Thu 13 Feb 2020, 06:59

I GM'ed a session 0 campaign with a PC and we had a blast. His first character was insta-killed in complete darkness. The second character being a marine squad leader was tasked to investigate the power outage. Engaged two xeno's and lost half the group. The first xeno got a crit-injury 3-3 and escaped; the other rolled a crit-injury 1. PC walked over with a shotgun to shoot it point blank in the head only to have it wake up and strip the shotgun from him by opposing rolls. He also got two stress "1's", made two panic rolls - both to flee. Then he ran for his life and watched his last squad member (npc) get shredded by two xeno's as he barely escaped. Good times!

But I wanted to see what other GM's thought about the economy in this game. Did anyone notice there's no place on the character sheet for tracking money? p.161-162 touches on salary and living costs, and the cost for gear & ships is covered. You roll for your starting cash on character creation. Aside from the PC's doing some minor trading of available gear, maybe some bribery or debt pay-offs, how would you bring money value into the game? I could really see GM's crafting the stage with predetermined amount of PC cash to help/hinder players through the scenario to meet a goal. Not taking their weekly salary and trying to save millions to buy a ship... Players dealing with credit could be a scenario all in it's own.

I'd really like to hear thoughts about Company Agents and if they can hold shares of company stock. Is there a relationship between how much stock a company agent has and their placement aboard a ship? Does that agent front the expenses for a mission and gets reimbursed by the company with a bonus for a successful mission? Is this why the flight crew are usually independent contractors? There's a lot of depth in this game. Can't wait to see what other roles and add-on's the publishers put out. Anyone reading this, remove 1 stress!
"Out here in the furthest quadrants of known space--pushing the limits of technology, knowledge, and understanding"
Alien: Out of the Shadows by Tim Lebbon

VaeVictis9

Re: Cash, Credit & Stock

Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:31

I've had my players keeping track of cash under 'Tiny Items.'

They have the funds put on a card. A credit chit. They can move the funds between the cards freely though some locations have transaction fees. Also frees them up from carrying thousands of dollars in bills. The bank is also an option. Vault Interstellar, subsidiary of the Weylund-Yutani corporation.

Bills are still around but they try to just have the credit chits. Also makes looting easier. You can find the things all over but sometimes have nothing or cents left on them.

As for expenses. The company gave my agent a bare minimum for essentials for what they believed was needed to complete the mission. He used those funds on needed equipment and then hired several additional NPCs on by promising a share of the loot found after the mission. Later after several incidents and some possible betrayal everyone profited. The NPCs unfortunately were all lost during the mission, tragic.

Fumarole

Thu 13 Feb 2020, 17:45

PC walked over with a shotgun to shoot it point blank in the head only to have it wake up and strip the shotgun from him by opposing rolls. He also got two stress "1's", made two panic rolls - both to flee.
You had a PC roll multiple Panic Rolls on a single check? That's harsh.

Lukbehindu

Thu 13 Feb 2020, 19:13

Agreed, that was the purpose of session 0 was to shake down the details. Reviewing p.103 "you must make A panic roll". So it seems that panic rolls don't stack. But if you need to re-roll another panic, you can "more panic". LOL. Although nothing worse than to be in a moment of crazy action and have to stop to check the rules. Thanks for the feedback!
"Out here in the furthest quadrants of known space--pushing the limits of technology, knowledge, and understanding"
Alien: Out of the Shadows by Tim Lebbon

Diego

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 14:42

I was about to comment on the multiple panic rolls as been a tad harsh. Panic is bad enough already.

As for money I have stayed away from the universal credit chit. I love the idea of various currencies floating around and so have embraced it I've made a rough guide of what each currency is worth, making the exception that corporations always accept their particular currency on a one to one basis. My players hate their pile of binats that they just stare at with hatred.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up

12sideddice

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 15:40

PC walked over with a shotgun to shoot it point blank in the head only to have it wake up and strip the shotgun from him by opposing rolls. He also got two stress "1's", made two panic rolls - both to flee.
You had a PC roll multiple Panic Rolls on a single check? That's harsh.
I think the rule was there if you have multiple '1s' you roll that many panic attacks and apply the worst one (so it wouldn't have made a difference in this case)
GZIP: Off