Diego

40th Anniversary Edition

Sat 06 Jul 2019, 18:23

First off before this seems a tad rant-y let me just say that I am impressed so far with the quality of the Alien Rpg. The book is a treat on the eyes, the rules are stylish and compliment the setting incredibly well. I find myself making this post because of the 40th Anniversary edition book.

I have pre-ordered and gone for the anniversary edition, because honestly this is a franchise I adore, and this game so far impresses me to the point where I want to splash out. But honestly, the 40th anniversary cover edition just seems so underwhelming. The art by Martin Grip is amazing and looks so good on the standard version of the game. Now I know it's on par for normal anniversary editions that they have a simple yet stylish front cover, all the WoD re-releases were the same, as were the 5th edition specials for D&D, but the single face-hugger emblem on the front, to me, is incredibly underwhelming. I hope that this is just a stand in for something more elaborate, something that will make this book worth been the iconic 40th anniversary landmark.

How do others feel? Am I alone and does everybody else adore the look of the commemorative book? Am I the only one that would probably like to see a stylized xenomorph over a face hugger?

Dreamer-of-Days

Re: 40th Anniversary Edition

Sun 07 Jul 2019, 16:40

[...] but the single face-hugger emblem on the front, to me, is incredibly underwhelming.
I understand what you mean, and I can agree that a more intricate design would be awesome, but I'm fine with how it is.

To me, Giger's ALIEN is an iconic emblem of horror, and one of the reasons for that is its "larval" stage of life. To have the face-hugger with the tail coiled around it in a circle is an emblem that, had I saw it anywhere else, convey exactly what the content within holds: inevitable death.

I'm one of the few (at least of anyone I talked to) that likes ALIEN over Aliens, because the latter felt too much like an action movie to me. Even still, though, the scene where Ann pulls Russ back to the wildcat and Newt sees her dad smothered... because we watched the first film, we know what that means. We know that Russ will wake up, everyone will think he's fine... That looming DOOM that hangs over everyone... THAT is what I want my players to feel every time they see the book.

Diego

Sun 07 Jul 2019, 21:26

In that regard we are actually alike. I prefer Alien for Aliens. Just for me the horror of the film was that the Alien itself was so totally unimaginable horrifying. The face with no eyes, the row of human teeth, the jarring movements, the bio-mechanical design.

Perhaps something that incorporates both, or the front and back with different designs. Perhaps the 40th edition could be made extra special by coming in a slipcase. All I know is that I feel the 40th anniversary cover actually is a tad unimpressive compared to the standard edition and that gorgeous art. Simple and elegant can be nice, but you can also be at risk of been too simple.

The1TrueFredrix

Sun 07 Jul 2019, 23:55

Like you, I find Martin Grip’s art to be infinitely superior to special edition covers. Not just here but in every special edition published. But does your 40th anniversary bundle come with a poster of the art?
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Dreamer-of-Days

Mon 08 Jul 2019, 01:29

Perhaps something that incorporates both, or the front and back with different designs. Perhaps the 40th edition could be made extra special by coming in a slipcase. All I know is that I feel the 40th anniversary cover actually is a tad unimpressive compared to the standard edition and that gorgeous art. Simple and elegant can be nice, but you can also be at risk of been too simple.
Ah. Fair enough. A unique front and back would be exquisite. Granted, I suspect so much time will be spent with the book open that what's on the cover is irrelevant; don't judge a book, etc. Though, I admit that I'm not much of an art appreciator, so I'll concede.

Diego

Mon 08 Jul 2019, 23:51

Like you, I find Martin Grip’s art to be infinitely superior to special edition covers. Not just here but in every special edition published. But does your 40th anniversary bundle come with a poster of the art?
Sadly not, that poster looks amazing but I couldn't afford it at the time of the pre-order and I don't think there's a way to change my order now. Still I hope someone see's this and perhaps they take a look at that cover and think about upping the ante a little.

toy203

Tue 09 Jul 2019, 07:49

I really hope they'll include the regular edition artwork on a page inside the Limited just for collecting sake.

wilhuf

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 23:57

Respectfully, I also feel underwhelmed by the 40th ed. corebook cover. But that's more testament to the amazing quality of the artwork on the standard core rulebook than any shortfalling of the 40th ed. Perhaps if I saw the books in person I'd feel differently.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

Diego

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:22

Respectfully, I also feel underwhelmed by the 40th ed. corebook cover. But that's more testament to the amazing quality of the artwork on the standard core rulebook than any shortfalling of the 40th ed. Perhaps if I saw the books in person I'd feel differently.
Glad it's not just me who felt this way.

LV-426 Realtor

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 05:59

I prefer the Standard edition cover and pre-ordered two of the Standard Bundles. So far, the only thing bugging me about the Starter Kit is the weapon art. Fria Ligan, please upgrade the quality of the weapon art!!!!
GZIP: Off